Forums > Advanced Staff moves > Staff on Staff Contact - SOSC

Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
This is not just my work, it's Chris Carlos, Mr Jedly, Daniel Gunthorpe and Many Others. Posting it here is a bit of an experiment.

StaffGasm/SOSC Research

A space to talk about 1-3 and then four and five staff manipulation and awesomeness.

First off: Writing down all the staff on staff contact moves that currently exist and entrance and exits to SoSC (Staff on Staff Contact).
SoSC (2 Staffs):

Paddle Staff – the bottom staff – the ‘sub’
Contact Staff – the top staff – the ‘dom’

The Trap
- both horizontally and vertically: sometimes merged into each other.

The Under Trap
- the trap that happens as you go into a windmill

Trap to Trap
- with both a step inbetween, or a roll.

Trap to Under Trap
- what happens again before a windmill.

Trap to Propellor to Under Trap
- same as before but with an extra rotation around the paddle staff.

Under Trap to Under Trap
- yep the underneathy one.

Inside Trap / Caged Trap
- A trap on the middle of the paddle staff after doing a caged steve. It’s done low.
- Can be Caged Trap to Caged Trap but it’s a bit strange.

- the contact staff rolls or steps across the paddle staff, rotates around the end of the paddle staff and then goes back across the paddle staff and repeats the same movement.
- vertically it requires a turn, horizontally it doesn’t.

Paddle Steve / SoS Steve
- A steve that goes across the paddle staff and then back onto the starting arm.
- Doing it with your hand in different positions evoke different movements. You could put your hands close together or my favorite, as far apart as possible.

Trapped Weave
- Vertically, after going from trap to trap turning with the contact staff almost trapped and then once turned 180 letting the contact staff travel back along the paddle staff, Trap to Trap. Ad Nauseum.

Propellor
- Propelloring the Contact staff with one end of the Paddle Staff

One Beat
- Vertically carrying the Contact Staff on one end of the paddle staff in a 360 one beat. (fishtail)

Windmill
- Going from Trap to Under Trap to pulling the contact staff up behind you letting it propellor to release it from the trap and then going trap to trap behind (or above) your head, then the entrance is repeated in reverse order.
- Can also be connected by the Trapped Weave.
- Can also be done with a 360 pirouette when the contact staff is behind (or above) your head.

Trap to Trap to Throw
- Horizontally: once the contact staff is in the middle of the paddle staff, it can be thrown and caught again on the center of the paddle staff.

Propellor to Throw
- Typically more vertical, a throw out of propellor and back in.

Paddle Matrix
- A version of a prayer matrix, the Contact Staff is put into a matrix from a paddle steve and is carried across the front by the paddle staff, like the prayer matrix.

Paddle Jesus
- entered in one of two ways, from a Trap to Trap or from a propellor.

Paddle Pivot
- Same as the jesus, but less so.

Caged Paddle Steve / Caged SoS Steve
- Caged by reaching arms and paddle staff around contact staff as it does a steve.

Sword Steve
- The paddle staff is held like a sword and a fairly normal prayer steve is done around it with the contact staff.
- More interestingly you can let the contact staff roll to the very far end of the paddle staff and back again before continuing the prayer steve.

Assisted / Controlled Steves
- Do a steve using the paddle staff as a parallel track for your staff, this way its rolling on both your arm and the paddle staff making it very controlled.

Anti-Turn SoS Steve (Counter SoS Steve)
- Like the normal one, but turning against the spin. Well turning against the spin of the contact staff, the paddle staff usually turns with you.

Anti-Turn Trap to Trap
- A Brettstar special edition: From a normal trap you spin around like a crazy person (what would be the anti-turn way, if the staff was spinning) the contact staff hopefully remains still / isolated, while the paddle staff does the normal Trap to Trap manipulations. You turn 360 and come back into the otherside trap with the contact staff having done little to zero movement.

Neck Pass
- When doing Trap to Trap, instead of letting the contact staff step onto the middle of the paddle staff, you can jam yer head in there and have it do a quick neck wrap before going into the other side trap. -ala Chris.

Continuous Paddle
- A vertical move, kindof a version of a non-turning 360. Perhaps with more fishtailyness.
- As you do a vertical paddle in the wheel plane turn the paddle staff and let the contact staff step back across it and do another paddle and then repeat continuously.

Washing machine 360s/ pirouette
- A Kyle move if ever there was one. You hold/ balance the staffs while twisting your body so that the staffs do a 360 staying in wall plane. You end up doing a funny little back arch thing along with your pirouette.
- Really useful as you can do it at any point where there is a trap or pinch of any sort. Looks really good in a cross.
One Handed SoSC

3 club juggling style traps
- These are fun and work really well as a kind of save (if you hold the paddle staff vertically on the right side of your body, with your thumb facing down, you can let the contact staff just fall off an anticlockwise horizontal neck wrap into a trap). You can also turn into them or finish something like a angel roll this way, it also feeds straight into cross stuff.

Extra steve beats (1 hand)
- The dom rolls down arm from neck to hand, the sub is thumb down in this hand. The dom does one rotation on the sub with the heal of the hand facing up, then the sub rotates and the dom does another rotation, this can be continuous or then lead to a full steve or something cool.
Entrances:

* Kick up to Trap
* Neck Wrap Kick up to Trap.
* Dag’s wrist wrap to Trap
* Chris’s Halo roll / Half Pivot to Trap
* Steve to Trap

Other things:
Dags trap to trap Marcus Atomic Thing.
One end on floor shenanigans.
Caged Halos and Jesus’s and such.
One handed moves….
Cross stuff…
Cross Stuff:
Neck Wraps.
Half matrix.
Full matrix.
Steve?
Vert Snes?

Jedly awesomeness:
Caged.

Caged Halo

Caged Jesus (can be continuous)

Caged Throatside Neck Spin. (Horz or Vertical)

Caged Trap (normal)
– As per normal trap, but the contact staff is under the paddle staff on the thumb side, not the pinky side.

Caged Trap (under)
– As per under trap, but the contact staff is above the paddle staff on the thumb side, not the pinky side. Same as before a caged halo.

Caged Trap to Trap
– Normal Caged Trap to opposite side. Contact staff 1.5 rotations to other hand/trap. Horizontal or vertical.

Caged Fig-8
– As per “Caged Trap to Trap”, but contact staff can stay on the same hand and to fig-8’s. (think over & under fishtails). Can use traps to change direction. Can do turns & Pirouettes.
Transitions:

Caged Halo to Paddle
– Caged trap(under) to halo. (eg Rt side to left side). Left hand lets go when contact staff is vertical behind head & grabs the staff into a paddle/L-side trap. Contact staff continues to spin into paddle.

Caged Throatside Neck Spin to Paddle
– same as halo, but throatside. Horz or vertical.
1-Handed/Transitions.

*Left Side trap to Caged Trap_
- LS Trap. Contact staff spins 1.5 rotations to caged trap. Paddle staff spins cockwise(cw) 0.5 rotation. Horizontal only. Also can do a propellor in the middle, and/or 360 spin.

Under Trap to Under Caged Trap
- As above, but the other traps. propellors, pirouettes.

Check the definitions of the under traps/normal traps as how i’ve defined it; the paddle staff is under the contact staff for an ‘under’ trap.

3 Staff Contact:

Angel Roll Seperations
- Two in one hand, angel roll one across to the other hand. Good times.

Gay Gunthorpe
- Continous neck pinches and direction changes, staff being replaced over the top.

+ Many things from Chronos legacy.
+ Many things from Kyle too probably.

Finally:

+ Brettstar:

Kyle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=osVhecP60CY
https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=gzJvzjSflpA

Chris’s videos:

Calvin Videos:

Shion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=A0iVDqrPOE0

Will:

Lucas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=CR1qUeKyFEw

Someguy:

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Epic win. as per.
Nice to see Will again. Goodtimes.

Something about figure making?

+ x |_| H * #

places to put them and cool ways to contact in and out?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You write it up / contribute in some way, I'll make more videos of SOSC and show them ONLY TO YOU... DUM DUM DUM!

That's not a bribe... well not just a bribe. It's also a threat. Er, Promise.
EDITED_BY: mcp (1270493086)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
shocked

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
2 staff shape making:

The cross vertical:

2 staffs, held at right angles, usually in the middle.
Often by one hand holding the submissive staff close to the middle, and the dominant staff held in contact against the submissive staff's middle by the thumb. Othertimes with the first two fingers of the hand either side of the dom staff's middle, and reaching over to grasp the sub staff's middle. (Much harder for contact)

Ins and outs: Steves, fishtails,

The cross horisontal:

With the sub staff held horisontal the dom staff ballances on it. The thumb can be used to guide the dom staff whether held over the head or lower around the body.

Ins and outs: Steves, kick ups, drops.

3 Staff shapes:

The asterisk:

One staff in each hand, held in a diagonal cross by both hands together, with another staff sandwiched horisontally between them, using the thumbs of both hands to grasp it.

Ins and outs: Steves, (I guess conveyors and kickups too, and traps)

The open box:

One staff held horisontally on the upper arms, near or on the crook in the elbows, with the middle almost under the chin (the upper arms are extended forwards, with the forearms at 90 degrees, pointed vertically) Staffs in both hands held vertically.

Ins and outs: Good position to lean back and chest spin the dom staff. Helpfull position for H patterns. Or getting into neck moves, matrixes etc.

The gaylord:

Named by Will. This move is the open box shape, however the dom staff is snagged horisontally at both ends on the wicks of the sub staffs which are held at 45 degrees in front of you. Both bottom sub ends should be rotated backward split time (like a double chuu chuu) while mincing forward in the same timing. Goodtimes.

The H:

A bit like the open box and the asterisk together, two sub staffs are held vertically near the middle, about shoulder width apart, while the dom staff is held by the thumbs horisontally.

Ins and outs: Once in the asterisk or anarchy, it is easy to slide your hands apart into the H shape. The H shape can be spun around the body like many parallel double staff moves. The dominant staff can also roll along these two sub staffs and their respective arms, (and ducking the head) over the neck and behind the body, onto either the back and legs, or by swinging the arms backwards, onto the arms or staffs again.

Anarchy:
Is the same as the H but with tops or bottoms of the sub staffs
touching, or snagged.

The anarchy A can also be made in one hand/ arm, by holding two staffs crossed in one hand, (two fingers either side way) and using the two staff ends nearest your arm to trap the third staff at 90 degrees held against the outside of your arm.

Ins and outs: Enter this from a steve, while tipping your hand with the cross in as far forward as you can, you want to trap the staff as near the wrist as possible. Tipping the wrist back traps the staff.
This A shape likes being held vertically in front of you with the trapped staff horizontal and on the outside of your arm. You can release the trapped staff to drop into the other hand, or foot, or whatever.

Holding this A shape pointed horizontally in front of you, or vertically above your head, the other hand can take hold of one of the crossing staffs with the third staff being trapped against/supported-on your forearms. You will have to slide the forearm of the arm already holding the staffs away from the middle of the trapped staff, which may be tricky.
By releasing the trapped staff and rolling it towards your throat, you free up the crossed staffs, and you can move into the H shape easily, or any H variations.
EDITED_BY: ArthurBrown (1271623337)
EDIT_REASON: thought of more.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Sweeeeet. Did you get em? I sent them vis youtube.

Also, why does everyone pick up on the dom/sub nomenclature and run with it? Goddamnit, just use paddle and contact staff.... ARGH.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Yep got, watched, inwardly digesting.
If fact just got back from trying a few out.

Everyone likes a bit of sub and dom, it sounds a bit fnarr. Besides paddle implies a paddling movement, which isn't always the case.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Gripped staff? Supporting staff?

But you usually hold it like a canoe paddle... so... it's kinda descriptive.....

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Control staff and controlled staff.
A bit more Joy Division.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ah damnit. Why did I think of sub and dom? blargh.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Bump, bit more added.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hey, Paul, you should come to Tullamore, Phoenix Fire whotsit, cos I'll be there and we can do the SOSC dance... grin

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Might be at Tullamore.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
and you can play stick stick!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i vaguely recall Kyle and I discussed in terms of Base and Flyer staves from acro.

but i much prefer the endless potential for innuendo when describing dom & sub interactions smile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
So how about a sosc only collaboration video? Yes, this is me offering to stich loads of vids together, but I warn you now, it will probably end up being made on windows movie maker, with a northern soul soundtrack. I'd willingly hand that job to someone who's better at editing. But yeah, who's up for recording some epic 2, 3, 4? staff on staff awesomeness?

Rules are:
No single staff.
Staffs can contact body or other staffs.
Fire or practice sticks, as long as the video is clear.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
So Meg is on board the good ship SOSC, for the editing and music, all we need is the rest of the crew, and to set a date for the return to port. Arr t'wil be an epic voyage me hearties.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
Don't get the idea what you are really playing...

Could someone please do the whole tricks and record them on a video?

This would be really great!

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
... or you could watch the video links on the first post.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
NOICE Jedly!

Really great resource!
perfect thing to start a video dialogue grin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
cool... maybe its time to dust of the old contact staffs and actually make an effort to learn something for the first time in 3 years...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
That's a sweet tutorial dude, I'm going to have a busy day learning tomorrow. Cheers.

chazzBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
This thread has been a goldmine of inspiration. It's really rekindled my interest in double staff contact and massively broadened my understanding of SoSC. Thanks everyone!

I wanted to contribute, so here's my effort. Most of the staff-on-staff stuff I learnt from this thread but I hope you enjoy it.

For a contact staff / object manipulation blog and info about a contact staff tutorial book check out

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
So, I have jumped face first into the realms of SoSC it would appear that I have many hours of that mix of frustration and joy that staff seems so well at filling me with.

None the less, thank you all for making the effort with regards to this thread hopefully I can put this stuff into practice and can contribute something along the line.

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
I've started to see many more spinners start using triple and quadruple contact staff. Does any one know of any resources as a good place to get more info and moves?

chazzBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Hi

There's a bit of triples contact and SoSC in this video:

There's some real nice triples contact in the last 15 seconds of this video:

And the last minute of this video has some triples contact too:

I hope that helps.

For a contact staff / object manipulation blog and info about a contact staff tutorial book check out

StaffHouseGuild of Assassins
2 posts

Posted:
these videos capture alot of moves i never even thought of before. Triple staff weave contact is one thing thats definitely on the list! Thanks!

The human form is ignited, the fire dances with you!