Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Need dire help with the 3-beat and isolations

Login/Join to Participate

WaddellODiE-;)~
8 posts

Posted:
well i just started poi a month, i can due the butterfly, thread the needle, wrist wraps, reverse wrist wrap, but that dam 3-beat is confusing the hell out of me, and I always crack myself with my poi on the isolations. plus I'm dueing this all with a wrist I fractured a month and a half ago, plus My poi is custom made, good weight perfect for stalls, does anyone have any kind of advice on the 3-beat or the iso's

Travel a thousand miles in any direction and you will always find people with the same poi as us

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Practice the 2 beat with both hands, left on top right on bottom and right on top left on bottom, then start switching between them and then you're in the 3 beat.

Isolations just take time, just keep practicing. If you can do stalls you're on the way there, they feel very much the same to start, just follow through and let the hand follow the poi head, you'll get it.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
practice with ONE poi ONE hand at a time ....
alternate single hand and both hand practices ....
emphasize on your left hand ....
use lighter poi (socks) for the next 3-5 weeks

iso

practice to slow down the spin until the poi almost drops out of mid-air ....
practice stalls ....
move your hands faster than the poi is spinning ....

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I recommend Warior Drakes method of learning the 2 beat with each hand on top.

Isolations you'll want heavier poi, imo, it helps you feel the location of the head more, and thats vital.

hug

WaddellODiE-;)~
8 posts

Posted:
thxs bud, will do

Travel a thousand miles in any direction and you will always find people with the same poi as us

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and remember that many - if not most - of all those geeks today struggled at some time in the past...

if you have issues with your wrists - take it easy on them heavy poi for some time... apart from that MNS is completely right that heavier heads will give you a lot more feedback...

all my above points are not opposing any previously mentioned method, only intended to compliment them...

in addition:

close your eyes and try to "see" the poi moving through space by feeling them...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Its really all about practice and muscle memory, case and point if you can do opposites with relative ease go ahead and rotate your fingers in opposites, bet you couldn't do that so easily when you started poi. Keep at it, don't get frustrated and don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck, soon enough you'll have it

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.