Page: ...
Daniel_HendricksGOLD Member
The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Ok so a thought has recently come to me that would require quite a few hands and quite a bit more preperation. All I want to do with the rest of my life is spin fire and enjoy living. I know I am not alone in this desire. Therefore the only sensible thing in my mind has been to save up enough money to buy some land somewhere, make a generous sized garden, and live. The basic needs of food and shelter would be covered. Next comes the idea of companionship, and in marches the commune ideal. All comments welcome, but this really is a serious idea of mine so lets not get too out there folks. Possible location: ALASKA; homestead act is still viable in alaska meaning you pick a plot of land, make it better, and after seven years its yours. Any takers?

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Interesting idea... I might be interested if I wasn't on the other side of the world. smile

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
This is a massive undertaking! Pick your plot carefully!

Icarus: People get off the plane in Alaska and never get back on all the time.

There's plenty of nowhere on the South Island or over in Australia.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Alaska is too unforgiving. Why not pick something out here in the AZ desert? There are tons of amazing places here.

and the commune ideal? like everyone is sharing everyone else?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Hey, I had an idea like this once, except it was situated more around Hawaii.

I think it's a fantastic idea, though performing would then be your number 1 income source, n'est-ce pas? The Hawaii idea I had come up with involved creating a large farm for income. I forget what the exact "thing" was called, but I was told you could obtain grants in order to fund agricultural ventures which is why I had come to that.

I mean, anything is possible, you just need time and in this case probably people.

Let me know what you come up with.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Hah Poje.

Not all communes involve... um.... Sharing of people. Though.... some may not mind if it did include that... eh? lol

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Hawaii would be awesome.

AZ not so much... AZ is Texas, with far less prospect and plant life, trying desperately to act like California.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
The are you choose would need to be somewhere that supports life. As a commune you need to try to be self sufficient. Grow your own crops have a well all of that. I am much interested in this.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Hydroponic cash crops will make you self-sufficient!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yes, I am a big fan of hydropronics.... ^_^

Seriously though, I have always been a fan of performer communes, I have just yet to find the right people....
Maybe sooner than later, eh? =)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
You mean as in 'family friendly'?

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
i'm in! * sounds awesome not quiete sure what skills i would bring in but hydroponic product tester sounds like the job for me
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1271720175)

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Either way really Refuge. I'm a fan of home grown foods and manual labor, so... yeah.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
It would have to be 'family' friendly if I am too bring my extensive knowledge to the table.

In Alaska, you can grow legally, distribution is another issue. Alaska has a short growing season but the extra hours of daylight gives you huge growth. Logistics and materials are your real issues, in the wilderness you are somewhat forced to be self-reliant.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Unless I'm trying to *ahem* "start a family", most everything I do is family friendly, aside mainly from cracking horrible jokes in front of friends.

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
I love the quick responce this has gotten. As far as the Alaska thing, i Feel its very doable but it would be a much more isolated endeavor, i.e. not for the faint of heart. Having a well wouldn't be much of a problem I'm thinking because of all the snow and such.
Now after living in Hawaii a while back I know that would be an amazing location but I haven't looked much into it as a possible locale.
To explain what i meant about the communal ideal: In order to really enjoy living you have to be able to share the experience with another; we are social animals. This is not to single out or specify a type of relationship but only to recognize that others need to be involved in this venture.
Now, an interesting little test idea i thought of would be to start a small group, call it a test site, to gather the knowlege and needed resources to prepare for alaska(or hawaii, or wutever the final choice is). It could be as simple as a fire team or a group of fire teams spread accross several states, it can get as organized as you want.
What it boils down to is the fact that i don't feel right in this world, call it escapism if you like, but this is something that very well can happen.

Keep the ideas a flowing =)

"it is something to be able to paint a picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look," thoreau

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Hm, this has my attention smile Not for me to do personally, but definately like the concept. Definately something I would support and visit. If things go the way I wish, donate to the commune as well.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
The well in the wilderness part of Alaska would freeze over in winter. They have to dig graves in Alaska during the summer and hope that they have anticipated the amount of deaths right because it's not possible to dig 6 feet even with heavy machinery.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
i would love this to be more than a dream. I only have one problem though. Having spent all my time in the tropics and having never been anywhere that gets cold enough to snow i dont know how well i would go aclimatising(sp?). imagine all the crazy moves a commune of spinners would produce.

Ascilith we would need you to visit as we would need an apostle or monkof sorts to carry all of the knowledge and crazy moves out into the world. Do you feel up to the task?

EDIT:removed faux pas best left unread
EDITED_BY: triptrician (1271728573)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
another thought we would need to make sure HoP can air drop materials for us wherever we decide to pitch camp

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Ascilith should just bring the stuff on his visits

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I think it's doable, and I have always loved the idea of a communal living situation.
Sex aside, I love just being around awesome people and friends, though having an "other" might be nice, it's not on the top of my list of important things to accomplish in the near future anymore.
Yeah, and I mean, Alaska is pretty and all, but *shrug*. Who knows. Only time will tell.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
hehe our monkish apostle delivery guy

EDITED_BY: triptrician (1271743066)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
This really should be in the 'Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer' thread:

Hey forum filled with mostly hippies and party kidds, what do you think about a commune? Of course we think it's AWESOME!

I also find irony in the fact that it can out of Dan.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
im not a hippy or a party kid...so speak for yerself!

a couple notes to take into account, we need electricity to power our computers to get onto HoP. Solor panels might be a good idea..with the extended light hours and such (speaking alaska of course)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Hence the adverb 'mostly'....

Note there are also extended hours of dark in Alaska. Wind power and back up ethanol generators would be more winter reliable.

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
I have always been interested with the idea of being a monk, I am not particually religious, more spiritual. I do however like the outdoors, growing my own food, I feel that hard work should have its rewards. I also keep bees, which I enjoy doing...so yes commune sounds great!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ah crap, just thought of something, Can any of you make really good beer?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
haha you wouldn't be a monk as much as you would be an apostle. Id love to be apostle/move person/supply person! I'd need to know exactly what that entails but it sounds like an amazing idea smile Specially cuz I want to live in new zealand some day anyways lol. I'd be like right next to HoP in comparison to alaska. That and I'd always be growing in my move library so to speak. grin

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

The Hendricks Experience
41 posts

Posted:
Wheres the irony in my name? or is that a stupid question in and of itself?
I have been looking at lot prices and it looks like a decent piece of land with running water access and plenty of trees runs at about 50 grand- with 20 plus acres to roam through

this is a lot when its just one person but thinking in terms of 50 or so people plus the possibility of outside doners, its a very realistic prospect.

With regards to weather- we're not talking northern alaska where theres thirty days of night. Access to a running river is key. Aside from that, shlters can be built, food gathered/hunted, electricity is more or less optional as far as I'm concerned.

Now think for a moment if you will: What would you do if you found out something like this already existed? I know i would want to visit it, possibly join in on the fun, and definitly donate what I can to keep it going for future generations. Not to mention tell everyone I knew.

I don't know when this will happen, but I do know it has to happen. What I ask is for others to build interest, do some research for yourselves, and show how resolved you are at making this happen. I would like to set a feasable goal of starting up in the next 5 years- assuming of course we make it past 2012...

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Trip and I think Australia is a viable option...

Page: ...