Forums > Videos > Alien Jon: Tutorials

Login/Join to Participate

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Historically, I've posted simulation videos, or nano-tech blogs without a lot of explanation in the videos themselves, letting people form their own opinions about what is in the videos, and then explained further in the ensuing online conversations what I was on about.

I am also starting to story board tutorials with more direct explanations of what I'm on about.

Some of these will expand upon the Encyclo-Poi-dia 2, some answer popular questions, others are ideas I feel compelled to share with the spinning world.

Enjoy!

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Here is a tutorial on how I hold my poi and why, followed by some other options.

+Alien Jon

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
A nice run through - I like it that you cover the pros and cons.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Nicely and correctly sad.

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Nice! A good grip was one of the first hardware issues I needed to tackle when I started, and I think this covers the area really well. When I can borrow a camera I'll post a reply; there's a variation on a couple of those grips I'm really enthusiastic about, but it's hard to describe in text.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Thanks! Looking forward to the reply. =)

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Crosser Extensions tutorial, with a few variations

+Alien Jon

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I like those extensions , but those moves are ""head moves" and I'd really like to see the pattern they makes. But you have a "tail Poi" so it's not that visible. If you'll make a "head Poi" with transparent color heads, like orange, yellow it'd be much more visible the output patter of these exetensions. Also butterfy variation is very cool.

ninja

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
As I posted in the social chat forum these are killing my shoulders. i gotta rest, stretch like crazy and learn them some more tomorrow. i'm used to different kinds of extensions on these, but this looks cooler. The butterfly one is amazing.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LyeAs I posted in the social chat forum these are killing my shoulders. i gotta rest, stretch like crazy and learn them some more tomorrow. i'm used to different kinds of extensions on these, but this looks cooler. The butterfly one is amazing.

Take good care of your shoulders. Try to relax and use your tosro turning to create most of the momentum. In fact just try it with only your hands for a wile until the sliding feels natural.

Wile doing this focus on keeping your chest activated / not collapsing your chest and keeping your shoulders seated in their sockets. Feel how your collarbones and shoulder blades can move to help smooth out shoulder spinning (those 2 bones are in fact what fit together to create the shoulder socket). Feel the connection of your chest muscles through your lats back to your shoulder blades (this help me be aware of not collapsing my chest and keeping my loose shoulders in the sockets).

BUT REMEMBER: the more you can twist your torso, the less work your shoulders have to do! Imagine your spine is an upright pole and your body is swiveling around it, turning left and right. This is a good idea for all poi , but especially crosser type moves.

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: [ Unregistered ]I like those extensions , but those moves are ""head moves" and I'd really like to see the pattern they makes. But you have a "tail Poi" so it's not that visible. If you'll make a "head Poi" with transparent color heads, like orange, yellow it'd be much more visible the output patter of these exetensions. Also butterfy variation is very cool.

ninja

Yeah we filmed it in a rush, against a bright sky, with Karen's PAL camera (25fps). I really should have had her use mine, since it can do full HD (1080p @ 60FPS). I decided to post it anyway since it still showed the body movement ok.

I do it on fire (from the back) @ 1:30 in this old video:

+Alien Jon

smandstranger
7 posts

Posted:
It's really nice move AlienJon, i'm getting started to learn this one.
Thanks for upload, U alweys surprise my with strange-alien spining wink

spin care, jump high
poi oi oj !!

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Here are 2 Poi tutorials from 2 different years, for Yuta's Poicomunity.com

+Alien Jon