Did a photo shoot with my new poi ;D
Non-Https Image Link

More Photos will follow soon :3

EDITED_BY: Otter_pop (1271823157)

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
that's awesome man... what'd you use, re lighting?

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
thats a sweet as shot

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Otter_popstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I dun know about re lighting but my friend used strobes and what not smile

ZelenkiaBRONZE Member
King of Triquetras
8 posts

Posted:
Theres no way that the picture hasnt been edited though, think logically...

In order to capture the movement of the light poi, the shutter speed has to be decreased. If this is the case it would also capture every single frame of movement from both the poi itself aswell as your hands.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Zelenkia, take a look at this photo below. Its of me and so I know for a fact it wasnt edited. Its got 2 flashes which creates the whole 4 armed thing I've got going on there. There are a few others in my gallery which do similar things to varying degrees of success. But the part where the lighting was photographed it was in complete darkness. smile

We had to dull the lighting so the flash didn't just drown out the light trails by showing too clearly the things behind.

56851cpic_-1135

hug

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ZelenkiaTheres no way that the picture hasnt been edited though, think logically...

In order to capture the movement of the light poi, the shutter speed has to be decreased. If this is the case it would also capture every single frame of movement from both the poi itself aswell as your hands.

If it is dark enough outside, it can be done with no editting. You set a long shutter speed so all the camera sees is the light trails, then flash as the shutter is closing. Takes a little practice, and fine tuning on the camera settings, but it is most definitely possible.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
can do also flash and then long exposure, or second curtain flash, as JaredW described...

yet I would doubt that editing had NOT taken place at all (black curve, contrast or color enhance)...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomcan do also flash and then long exposure, or second curtain flash, as JaredW described...

yet I would doubt that editing had NOT taken place at all (black curve, contrast or color enhance)...

Oh I'm sure there has been some of that. I usually shoot in Raw so that afterwards I can fine tune the levels, WB, and all.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
awesome, man, I've been trying to get a good poi shoot done and haven't been able to yet

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
JW - that's what irks me about most cameras... black ain't black and the colors by far are not as vivid.

Faith: It really can't be established with a small consumer camera and no experience/ creativity... you need a decent flash (preferably bounced off some wall/object) and some long term exposure... (1/60 - 2 sec depending on fire/no fire). Best time for shooting is just after sunset.

ZelenkiaBRONZE Member
King of Triquetras
8 posts

Posted:
Mother Natures Son: You'll have to show me how to do that then, because at current I usually decrease the shutter speed so it captures all movement within 3 seconds, if I do it in a dark environment it ends up looking like this...

Non-Https Image Link

With a bit of light however it looks like this: (pay attention to the hands)

Non-Https Image Link

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
We used a snoot pointed at the wall, the light bounced off, the poi component was basically taken in the dark, the me part was the snoot.

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
very awesome pic smile i think its been edited, just because the shades look a bit too ´a scanner darkly´, but never the less an awesome effect.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
follow this link, if "snoot" and "bouncing off the wall" doesn't ring a bell wink

Zelenkia: using a flash will greatly enhance the quality of your image
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1272244531)

ZelenkiaBRONZE Member
King of Triquetras
8 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the link FireTom, i'll give the info to the missus as she takes the pics (obviously I'm too busy trying to spin), might aswell have a read myself while I'm at it, very helpful. smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
welcome - I find it one of the most comprehensive flash guides online...