Forums > Technical Discussion > Thinking of welding a ball bearing swivel straight to the oval link chain for fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Although I've been out of the game for a while I'm still by trade a welder and I saw a clip on youtube (from Nick of Playpoi.com) about fire poi design. I've got access to top of the line tig machines and I'm pretty good with them so I was wondering what people thought of the idea.

in basics the construction would be

Handle->Ball Bearing Swivel->Chain(note no connection)->Ball Bearing Swivel->Poi Head and whatever is holding it

just a thought, but if people think its something worth pursuing I can try it out and if I get it right send them for base cost.

I don't actually spin fire yet, still a bit of a newbie, but I want to be helpful to the community. This is how I saw a possibility so if anyone's interested lemme know.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You mean like these? https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Pro-Series-Chain-Cords-w-Single-Loop-Handles

Thank you HoP. You never fail us wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
haha, I fail at looking through stores

but I guess something like that. Just the idea of eliminating as many unnecessary components as possible, sounds like a good idea to me.

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you can also cut the end chains, stick the swivels in and weld it back. But I'd rather use a welding ring like on HoP's chains. Actually I want asplit ring at the top and top only so I can adjust the handle AND length.

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
shouldn't be too hard to construct if you buy the parts on their own, but I haven't looked into it much, kinda just spit-balling ideas, probably not the best idea but meh

2,280 posts

Posted:
Can you just get the open rings that you weld shut yourself just at any hardware store? Because according to my mom, we have a welding torch .I've never heard of it, but I guess we do.

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
in theory, yeah, I mean I would not use an oxy torch for this although I guess its possible, I'd prefer a tig torch which is very very small work, like average tig welds are so small you don't notice them if they're done properly at first, although its so strong it can do juts about anything up to cast iron which you just don't weld

I'd probably cut open the end ring of the ball bearing swivel as to not compromise the integrity of the chain link then slink in the chain link and slowly join the ball bearing loop back together then use a really small grinder to get it nice and smooth.

The one you sent me still has a link between the swivel and the chain, I would like to try to eliminate that, just because it would be a little bit of a task and I enjoy challenging myself

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Spinnerofdetroit Do you use those chains? If so how heavy are they? I got my first set of fire poi and I hate much weight is in the chains...

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
fire mecca will do this for you for like 1$ i have a set that are directly on

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
I should probably check out fire mecca, but I would also like to build my first set of fire poi from the ground up, ball bearing swivels aside if I can't find ones strong enough to be safe.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I'm all for you going for it if you want, and I'm not trying to be a drag or anything. But I do want to point out that if you're going to weld your poi together, you want to know what you're doing. The last thing you want is for the welding to break during a fire spin performance, where it might hurt the people around you.

Edit: NEVERMIND, just read the first post again more carefully, and you actually are a welder ^^" ... never mind poor old me, just passing by grin
EDITED_BY: ReVo (1272306777)

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
lol yeah, I've been a welder for a long time now, its cool. I know that its important for you to question everything and be safe at every step.

Once I get my hands on all the parts I'll take pictures along the way and show you guys, then get a video of me and some people better then me spinning with them so you can see if you like them.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bjrcboySpinnerofdetroit Do you use those chains? If so how heavy are they? I got my first set of fire poi and I hate much weight is in the chains...
I absolutely adore the pro series chains. They're just perfect. My only regret is that I got double loop handles instead of single frown it should say on the page how much they weigh. I highly suggest these chains. They are awesome smile

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
I know im a bit late...but if you havent built them yet, to save yourself some work, make sure you know exactly what you want, if this is your first set you might not know quite how you want it. I would buy some quicklinks and an over sized chain. start long and shorten them bit by bit until you find a lenght that you really like. then remove the links and cut the total length of removed hardware from the chain. Then weld.

would just be a pain in the ass to weld them and find out its too long or too short, haha. take apart and back to square one.

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I like the pro series chains but honestly I like a little more weight in my chains and these are also a bit long (and I got the shortest)

I think the same idea with a chain thickness/length customizable by the buyer with presets available for the first timers would make these a huge seller