Forums > Help! > what is the best fuel to use for fire poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
zebradavidSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
id like to find a fuel that has quite a long burning time, as ive found that parrafin just doesnt seem to last that long, all thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated thanx

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's a link to the HOP article on fuel

https://www.homeofpoi.com/fuel.htm

Stick to paraffin is my advice. If you want longer burn times use bigger wicks or do a search on 'towel wicks' (they hold more fuel)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I second what OWD says. Paraffin lasts pretty long. What wicks are you using? If you have small tube cores or something, any fuel you use will burn out quick. Try cathedrals or monkey fists for nice length.

The only fuel I know of that I think burns longer is Kerosene but its very dirty and smelly which isnt worth the trade off IMO.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
yeah, like they said. it's more to do with your wicks than your fuel really.

here's my advice for fire heads:

take a bar mop and cut it in half, twist it up real tight, sew about 3 wraps of kevlar around it, and you've got yourself a poi head that will hold insane ammounts of fuel.

i can't spin out my towel heads, they burn too long even using white gas.

using parrafin with towel heads should give you very long burns

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Very VERY long burns smile

We're talkin a good 15 mins or so depending on how big they are.

My first wicks were made of towel...Bout 4 inches tall and bout 3 inches in diameter. By the end of my first burn (first burn ever) I was begging for them to go out eek

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

zebradavidSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
thanx guys youve been really helpful, i shall take that info on board and give it a try and will let ya know how it goes

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Quote:

My first wicks were made of towel...Bout 4 inches tall and bout 3 inches in diameter. By the end of my first burn (first burn ever) I was begging for them to go out

LMAO!

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i thought paraffin and kero were the same thing?? confused

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
::Deleted by me::

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bump cos HOP cant handle long URLs.

rolleyes

If we dont complian it wont get changed... wink hug

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
kerosene is dyed parrafin... but I was wondering... where does diesel fuel fit in? someone was telling me that diesel and kerosene were the same make up as well.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's more accurate to say that kerosene is paraffin- two names for the same fuel.

While kerosene is died, so is paraffin.

One of the reasons paraffin/kerosene is so toxic is because of the substances used to dye it, which tend to be quite nasty.

Apparently the purest form of paraffin is aviation fuel which has no additives.

It is possible to get pure paraffin which is the least toxic of all as it has no additives- the downside is that it's difficult to obtain and very expensive.

(I should also mention that, in different countries 'parafin' and 'kerosene' mean totaly different fuels- but, in the UK and USA paraffin=kereosene).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: jaero

... diesel fuel fit in? someone was telling me that diesel and kerosene were the same make up as well.

They're totally different.

Don't use diesel.

Stick to paraffin, it's the safest and best stuff to use.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

You could always try water...

wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
diesel ubblol Now I'd love to see someone try to light that with a clipper.....you may aswell try and set fire to bricks or metal ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If you are confused as to the name of a fuel in different countries you might like to look HERE . If you want material safety data sheets (MDSD) try HERE It doesn't help you with knowing burn times so sorry its a bit off topic but you might find the info useful for other reasons biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

matyMember
3 posts

Posted:
Written by: Apparently the purest form of paraffin is aviation fuel which has no additives.[/quote

av gas has a higer octaine level and when i used it, its seemed to burn hotter and louder when twirling, but if you have eva seen what happens when this stuff gos up by mistake....devil...stick to pariffin or be very careful (it is fun but, to try driffent types of fuel)

make the bad man stop

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
I was reading this subject b/c i just got my fire poi yesterday and was wondering what fuel to use, it seems pariffin is the fuel of choice, I was wondering where would i get it? Also I was wondering do I just submerge the wick in the fuel for a second or long enough till I think it is fully saturated? Oh and one more question:) Once they go out and I'm ready to put them up is there anything I can do to make them last longer like how to wrap the wick up or anything? Thanks a bunch guys:)

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
Written by: jaero

someone was telling me that diesel and kerosene were the same make up as well.

This is true, I was told the exact same thing, and I've purchased 18L bottles of the stuff it's labled "Kerosene" but it's really just high grade diesel fuel.
https://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm
(read about the kerosen, yes it's also called paraffin, not to be confused with paraffin wax)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"long enough till I think it is fully saturated"

Is the right answer. smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
And once your wick is fully saturated, it will then be necessary to 'spin off' some so that you don't get little drops of flaming fuel flying about when you first light up. Most people do this by spinning for a few seconds unlit first, then light up. This has the effect of sending little drops of fuel around anyway, onto other people, the grass, cameras etc. They aren't as scary or dangerous as lit sparks, but in the long run will hurt the grass, etc

The nicest thing is to make some spin off or shake off jars as described here by the lovely Nick Woolsey.

Enjoy!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
pesonally, i use a mixture of Coleman fuel (white fuel) and paraffin (lamp oil) about 1\2 and 1\2. i get burn times between 5-10 minutes. you can get both at sporting goods stores. as far as soak times, i have left them in for up to 10 minutes and as little as 1. doesn't seem to make much difference.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

ElzibellesSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I leave my poi soaking in parrafin. Makes them last a lot longer than just dipping them in the fuel. ubbrollsmile

The world is a park. Go play in it. x x x

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
hmm, i think its parrafin that i use, me n my friend syphoned it out of the central heating fuel tank into a bucket biggrin and let to poi soak, it lasted for about 10 mins, but then you can always just dunk them back into the fuel. biggrin

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Theo_

you can always just dunk them back into the fuel. biggrin

eek isn't that a bit dodgey?

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
no, you can put them back in as soon as they go out. actually i think it is supposed to preserve the wick if you keep them in the fuel.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

emberbiliousnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
be careful what you are throwing back into fuel.
hot heads are 'ok' in kerosene. i don't use white gas when im spinning cos i don't like how explosive it is. and i hate that sizzle it makes even with my torches for eating. ( althogh the smoke in the jar is cool)
you should use fuel that you know exactly what it is, and
i always wait a moment for my toys to cool before redipping.
i read somewhere that just the fumes from a litre of kero would explode like a stick of dinomite!
also its pretty toxic. it will get into your blood stream through your skin and damage your liver and kidneys.

avivsworldnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
How does citronella go compared to other fuels? I've only used citronella for the past few years, but I find i don't get enough burn time. (I use staff, but I was directed here) Is it still necessary rto saok for a minute or so when using staff? I have kevlar wick 5cm wide, maybe 2cm thick on each side

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Citronella is about the same as regular lamp oil. If you want the longest burn out of your fuel, Ultra Pure Lamp Oil is the stuff. Please disregard my earlier posts saying kerosene burns longest. Kero actually burns for less time than regular lamp oil and regular burns for less time than ultra pure.

White gas < Kero < Lamp Oil < Ultra Pure

Citro is kinda pointless to use. Its dirty and smelly... Though, I suppose its a little better than kero... But I tend to stick with white gas, lamp oil, or ultra pure depending on what Im doing and where Im doing it.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I jus got my own poi set so im not to experienced with different fuels but i used a half and half mixture of ultra pure lamp oil and kero with had a really long burn time.... I waz spinning for a good 5 or 6 minutes and they were still burning strong...... It burns with a kool bright orange flame too......

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*bump*

mainly because I was looking for this rather useful webpage for anyone interested in spin-off buckets

actually, I was looking for the video but it seems its no longer about.

credit to Nick Woolsey
smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Page: