NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
K, just moved to a place where I can get internet again after 7 months without, and so the first thing I did was check out youtube, and to my disgust, they've changed the layout. After about 30 seconds, I realised that this is not a good change.

New features of youtube:

-No star ratings, only "like" or "dislike" options.
-Can't see the 'score' of the video until you've scored it.
-On some screens, it won't show you who's video it is
-Description box pretty useless now
-Comments layout far more confusing than before.
-Partner banners are tiny
-Channel layout far more limited and confusing
-Just generally looks bland and empty now.

There are many more reasons, such as problems with video responses and stuff like that, but I don't care too much about that. The most annoying thing is not being able to see how a video was rated until you've already wasted the bandwidth watching some and rating it yourself. The number of terrible videos I've watched that could've been avoided if they just had the stars shown.

Anyway, long story short, I wanna throw some videos online, but youtube is pissing me off right now, so any suggestions of video sharing sites from others?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hey, man! Long time no see!

-No star ratings, only "like" or "dislike" options. I actually prefer this, the star ratings were always too skewed, especially for poi videos... The star rating doesn't really indicate the actual quality.

-Can't see the 'score' of the video until you've scored it.
Absolutely couldn't agree more.

-Description box pretty useless now Completely agree.

-Comments layout far more confusing than before. Agreed, though I did get used to it somewhat and I do like the mouseover idea, except for the 'reply' one... I feel that gives me a reference point.

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Vimeo is the one I've seen most used after YT (not an uploader myself) but it's a long way behind YT in numbers.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the like dislike thing doesn't annoy me too much, if only they had a % liked shown on each video or something, I wouldn't have to stab in the dark as to what videos are good.

I checked out vimeo, I typed "poi" into the search bar and nothing came up! Crazy! The video quality on that site is really good though. I get the feeling that it's more for people who take their videos quite seriously.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Possibly: I've seen it used mainly in fan vidding, and you're right, some of those guys take it very seriously.