JDSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi
I am a beginner user of fire poi's and so far I have been using Kero for the fuel.
I have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to help with...
I will be travelling with a group to be part of their performing team...my part on the fire poi is only about 2 minutes long, but the performances will all be inside. I am wanting ideas on what fuel woud be best as I found kero was really stinky and smokey and left marks on the carpet.
Also, we are travelling to Indonesia so I will have to buy fuel there as I guess I cant fly with flamable liquids! Any idea of what fuels would be fairly worldwide??

TIA Any help will be much appreciated

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JDHi
I will be travelling with a group to be part of their performing team...

confused2 Sorry but your travelling as part of a team why cant they help you?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well charcoal starter fluid works well has a fairly hot burn but burns for quite some time a whole lot less smoke and smell my favorite fuel i've found yet

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

JDSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Fair enough question Felex...I am the only one using fire poi. The rest are a maori culture team...

Thanks for the suggestion Midkiff, where do you purchase the fuel you use?

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Right that makes sense now.

Err hmmm Will have to have a think.

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Right you will want something that burns very cleanly.
Camp fuel/white gas is possibly your best bet.
It is less smoky and evaporates quickly which means a shorter burn time.
It also burns kind of hot so the chances of you getting burnt….
Will you have a fire tec?
If not teach someone to do it for you quick sharp.
Theres a list of names from around the world.

https://www.ultralight-hiking.com/fuelnames.html#table

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i usually buy it at walmart or a convienience store but i doubt that will be available where you will be unfortunately i dont know much about where you will be

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

alysha_heyrickSILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hey...i was looking for something different to burn because thr kerosene kills my head the smell etc maks me sick which is so sad because i love the fire. i asked home of poi and aparently you can get a deodourized kerosene. she said try mobil petrol station if your near one. also i heard that lamp oil burns better longer and cleaner. sadly i havent found either yet. hope that helps

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Hardware stores, wal-mart (or equivalent), sporting goods/camping supply stores, oh yeah and here! laugh3

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Kayleigh_DunneSILVER Member
Always Learning
14 posts

Posted:
arghh theres soo many pros and cons to different fuels, ive been researching it for ages and i'm still stuck for ideas, i want something that is suitable for firefans and maybe fire eating in the future and something that is not going to make me paranoid its going to combust or blow up in a bag!

also i heard that some fuels you cant dip your wicks straight back into. so if anyone has any fuel advice please remember to mention if there will be any probs re-fueling.

thanks

xXx Kayleigh xXx

Always Learning
14 posts

Posted:
does anyone know anywhere REPUTABLE in the UK to by colemans from ie stuff thats not been cut?!
EDITED_BY: Kayleigh_Dunne (1310849655)

xXx Kayleigh xXx

Always Learning
14 posts

Posted:
i saw some strange stuff the other day on the internet ethanol gel has any1 else heard of it?

xXx Kayleigh xXx

Always Learning
14 posts

Posted:
i just came across something else that people in the uk might wana look into, i read in a forumn that aspen 4t is a naphtha white gas like colemans fuel but cleaner healthier and less than a quatre of the price and easier to find in the uk.
ive not tried it but im going to look into it. if anyone has used it before or can give any pros and cons about it give us a shout.

xXx Kayleigh xXx