Forums > Help! > Bridging a BT home hub and a Netgear Modem. WTF?

Login/Join to Participate

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
S'up fellow nerds! grin

Got another head scratcher for you.

My main source of wireless is a BT Home Hub 2.0 (hereby referred to as HH) which is down the end of my house from my room. I'm sick and tired of having to scratch at weak ass 54% signal strengths which my PS3 (in before "should got an xbox") tends to turn its nose up at. I've recently got my hands on a Netgear "RangeMax Next Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router" model DG834N (hereby referred to as Router B), and I'm wondering if I can plug in this new router down my end of the house, and bridge the two routers wirelessly to extend the range.

Will this work? And how do I go about doing it?

Cheers you lovely lot hug

-edit-

During my trawling through the net, I've been coming across the phrase "repeater" alot. I think this may have something to do with what I'm trying to do (extending the range of my wireless). Am I on to something?

-edit-

OHOOOO I think I am onto something here. Check it! However this manual seems to be talking about repeating between two Netgears as opposed to two entirely different brands of routers... curiouser and curiouser...

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1271270644)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
You should be able to. Plug in Router B via CABLE, then login to the panel (should be at 192.168.1.1 on netgear from memory, password should be admin/admin or something like that). Depending on the model, there should be something about the repeater function (you are right, that's what you need).

Use the guide that you found to get the location of the setting, and you should be able to do it. If all else fails, then check what sort of signal you get from router B at the other end of the house when it's in the same place as the HH, and if it's better, switch it. If it's the same and you can repeat on router b, try switching the HH to the repeater router, and see what happens.

Hope this helps. smile

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
from my exp the pass word etc on netgear is on a sticker on the bottom

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes... Sorry, I forgot about that. Too many router passwords floating around in my head. xD