Forums > Technical Discussion > Thinking about building myself a firestaff....

Login/Join to Participate

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I picked up firestaff about two months ago now, and have gotten quite addicted. I've been borrowing a staff from a friend for the duration of it, and also have some double staffs (practice only ones, rubber tipped) that I'm borrowing from him as well.

However, I've decided that it's about time for me to build my own one, and whilst having a pretty good basic idea, thought I'd check in here to see if there's any sort of secret methods to make the 'holy grail' of firestaffs. I'm not a contact staff person, but I'm not sure if that changes anything in the game plan....

Here's what I've been thinking of doing with it so far:

- I'm about 6'5 tall, so I've been thinking about building a staff that's around 5 foot 10 to 6 foot long - sound about right?

- I'm def building out of aluminium, unless there's anything else that's about the same price that's going to be way better for a long lasting staff...

- Been thinking about having almost 8 inches of wick on each end of the staff. I've got about 4 inches on the one that I'm currently using, but I've also played with other staffs that do have 8 inches of wicking on them, and they are much nicer to use - can build up a lot more speed on them. Any tips for secure fastening other than chucking a self taping screw through the kevlar and aluminium pipe into a piece of doweling?

- Grip - the staff that I have atm has a tennis racket grip on it, which is pretty sufficient... but again, are there any killer grips out there that I don't know about? I'm not too worried about marking midpoints and stuff on it, since I can find the balance point pretty darn easy on my staffs, and I don't actually need to know the midpoint for my style anyways....

- Last but not least... Fuel? Standard kero/liquid paraffin about right, or is there any other amazing fuels out there that are reasonably cheap?

Thanks heaps guys,
Andrew. smile

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

hug

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
my main contact staff is a 1.4m 2mm walled aluminium job with a fibreglass dowel and 100mm heads, really nice to use, quite heavy so it moves slowly for contact, using a rubberised grip designed for golfclubs the now, works very well(nice grippyness/comfortable/non absorbent of fuel etc) but needs changed every year or so when it starts to wear out from use

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

261 posts

Posted:
Fibreglass dowel... Is that to hold the wicking on in place of the wooden dowel?

336 posts

Posted:
the bolts hold the wicking in place, I've seen a lot of ppl use wood as a dowel for weight but i lucked out that a friend in a workshop could give me a fibreglass injection to my staff in place of wood- super heat resistant, lasts forever. I've seen some firetoy companies offering similar staffs so it's worth looking around (if your just making a staff for youself it's probobaly cheaper to buy one, building a good one is expensive unless you making a few)

261 posts

Posted:
There's not really any sites that I've seen offer what I'm looking for, tbh... And just working it out myself, seeing that I have access to workshops and free metal and such, it's gonna be cheaper for me...

That being said, the fibreglass is a pretty good idea, might try it for myself. smile

336 posts

Posted:
go for it, if you have access to the proper equipment and metal then it defo is cheaper smile

GrottbagsJust Say Neigh
36 posts

Posted:
I have a mate who used the aluminium pipe from an IKEA uplighter (other brands are available) It had the definate advantage that you could then split the firestaff down into two for transport.

261 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, there's a thought actually.

I'm gonna have to have a look at that... The only thing I'd be worried about with that is that my technique isn't contact, it's a lot more like spinning.... It's interesting, but I'll def look into it! grin