Forums > Social Discussion > (European) History and its impact on the world

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile my gf was reading some article about some queen (back in medieval times) and her name Eleanor was ringing some bell in my historical memory.

To refresh my memory I started reading Wiki articles... I started last night at about 9:30pm finished the first session at around 1:30am and now went over another session lasting 2,5 hrs.

For those of you who are interested to learn more about the present, I recommend digging a little bit into the past...

I recommend choosing a starting point

For example "Eleanor of Aquitaine" and just follow some characters and links that you come across from there (like Kings and Queens of France, England, Germany and Spain)...

To display the utter confusion I now end this second session with, please find the German and British monarchs family trees there... but don't just stop there. wink

I'll now take a few hours to reflect on what I was just reading - to sum it up for now: It's been a (real life) soap opera, stories of love vs. arranged marriages, greed, corruption, alliances, murder and rebellion... Yet all stories of individuals who were ruling Europe and its population for the past millennium.

I am certain that digging further back into history - say the past 3.000 to 4.000 years - will not reveal a much different picture.

Suddenly the present situation on this planet, the strive for power and influence, exploitation of resources, the stories of Holly/ Bollywood stars, wars and propaganda get a whole new dimension and perspective.

Looking forward to learn about yours smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
PFT!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
I love Wikipedia.

I dislike the amount of time you can lose on it and tvtropes though

Just a dancer in the dark

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - shut down Wiki and the world is a better place wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink