Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I couldn't seem to find anything like this. Well, A couple kind of, but the links didn't work at all. So here this is. A thread for discussing your/any other wick designs that you know and have had experience with. Mainly to help everybody find out what kind of wicks they want when they want to make them without having to spend all their money on rope/wick tape/whatever.

I'll start mine with a question, I want to make Isis poi. But, I want to make a nice cracked/open surface. Would you use the same amount of wick on the outside that you do on the inside, or more? For example, I saw a video that said 4ft for the inside weave, then 6 for the outside. It's a crown on the inside and another over itself for reference of what I'm talking about. I would buy rope, but then I'd have my dad going, "You're spending too much money! Blah blah blah! You're buying things too often! Blah blah blah!" "But dad!"
Non-Https Image Link

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Could you not try with ordinary sisal rope instead to see if it works? It's about 80c a meter here, and I'd think would give you a better idea than nylon rope would.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:

this hasn't been updated in a while.
[Old link]

Tubeecores (as Stout called 'em): the original fire poi wick design as far as I know. They are constructed in much the same way that staff wicks are still most commonly made. The way I see them put together they have a lot of exposed metal.

homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-25inch-tube-core-fire-heads

cathedrals: Each layer is secured by whatever the attachment hardware is, making them the most durable wick. I have friends who roll and hit these on the ground nearly every time they burn and the little buggers still hold up. There is usually a washer and a bolt sticking out the bottom which is not so good.
luxotica.com/education/howtomake/poi.php
8stars.org/a/firemaking/wicks/

monkeyfists: No exposed metal on the wick itself. They have a nice cube/sphere shape. More surface area (bigger flame) and more material (hold more fuel) then the first two designs. Will unravel after abuse and if not made tightly enough. The end is secured by the knot.
firemecca.com/t-tutmf.aspx

renegadejuggling.com/Web_store/rev3k/index.html

flat wick lanyards: holds more fuel then the first three. Secured the same way as cathedrals. Less surfaces area then the cathedrals (I think).
laneyards.com/
firemecca.com/p-887-moonblaze-fire-poi-set.aspx

rope wick lanyards: I have found these to be the most versatile design out of all the knots used for wicks. The way Salza secures their ends is to thread them back through the loops of the lanyard. Also no exposed metal on the wick itself. These have the most surface area (because of all the bumps) and generally use the most material for the same weights as the others (so hold lots of fuel). I've also heard the flame size remains fairly consistent throughout the burn.
laneyards.com/
salza.se/product.php?p=106
[Old link]
scoubiguide.co.uk/circle.html

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've done some looking around actually and I found a store that sells 3/8" ployester rope for only $10. The reason I didn't want to use polyester rope from HoP was because I'd end up paying literally $35-40 for shipping. I just decided, uh no. So I think I will find out now what design I want to make. Thanks for the info though, and from that info is seems that my decision in using rope is a good idea grin

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The polyester rope is purely for practicing the knotwork, right??

hug

SamhmanSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
I want to make my own monkey fists! I just bought a bunch of material on HoP, I just hope it works out and I can't buy it all at a cheaper place somewhere...I love the HoP store!

Me Monkey fists! I tried a fire dart...or are they called rope darts with a huge monkey fists on it and apart from losing part of my beard it was a lot of fun!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
If you can find a Swedish fid, get one! It will make tying a monkey fist ten times easier. Probably also good for getting those last few wraps of a braided wick, too.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Probably good for finishing when I tuck the ends I could really imagine. Probably easier than pliers by a long shot.

Edit: Pictures of my wick design grin
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/100071Fire_Poi_027.jpg
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/100071Fire_Poi_029.jpg
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...t=500&page=

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270754020)

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
those look pretty sweet, which method did you use?

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

WyattDavisSpinsGOLD Member
WYATTSPINSPOI
69 posts

Posted:
those are sweeet !! i think im going to have to make some.. how did you learn how to construct those ??

2,280 posts

Posted:
I did a circle stitch, and another one over it, but getting the second one started is a bit of a trick because you have to get the 2 ropes through the bottom of the first one. To end it I tucked the ends through the outside loops, cut and frayed them, and gorilla glued them as I don't want those babies coming apart wink

Edit: Turns out they're exactly 7 inches long and about 2.5-2.75" at it's widest
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270759040)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Holy censored It just dawned on me. I'm positive I know how to make Isis! When I get some free time, I'll use my left over rope to make it and I'll post it. Yep I got it, but it's pissing me off and I keep screwing it up, it's literally braiding 8 strands together and I keep getting on of them wrong on it
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270773373)

WyattDavisSpinsGOLD Member
WYATTSPINSPOI
69 posts

Posted:
yeaaaaaaa that would be sweet if you post that it would be very kinda of you and much appreciated by all of us i'm sure !!

2,280 posts

Posted:
OMFG KILL ME RIGHT NOW! Yeah I figured it out, but there's just so many strands and I keep censored it up and I can't get the first one right. Once I get the hang of it I'll make a video on how to make it on Youtube and put it on here. The problem is I can't tell I did it wrong until I tighten it mad

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hats off to the guys at Salza for having this type of frustration.

Edit: One thing to say...

Non-Https Image Link

Edit: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I GOT THE FIRST KNOT WITHOUT SCREWING UP!

Edit: OK, I got the hang of it. It's much easier now .It's annoying because there is not a single video on how to do this smirk But there was a description of how to do it.

Ok, hopefully last edit for tonight: I FINISHED THE FIST HEAD grin And I may also see if alternating directions will give me more spiral some other day, maybe tomorrow? This wick has like 5 millions tons of surface area, but I'm not sure about it compared to my other one. It is thinner, it's quite a bit longer, and I'm not sure about the weight.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270786673)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's what I came up with:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21150

And Here's the same thing, but alternating directions each stitch, this is not Isis for sure, but may have potential for increased surface area:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...t=500&page=

I have one more idea to give it more spiral, may or may not work, I'm going to undo the alternating one to try it.
You know what? I tried it, it does give more spiral, but it's so difficult to get even, I'm not even gonna try making it.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270859651)

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
monkey fists

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
SoD: You were looking for narrow wicking in another thread. In the interests of not derailing that one, would it work to cut wider tape into narrower bands?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure the wick would end up fraying. But if someone knows how that works, that would be awesome if it doesn't fray, but even if I did cut it, I can't imagine how sloppy it would turn out. But if it does work, I might just try it anyways.

Edit, I looked over something, and what I can do is take 1" by 1/16" tape and fold it and I'll get a great size. WOOHOO FOR SAVING $40!
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1271612858)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok got my idea into life. It works very well I must say and it all bent back into place.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21166

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
SoD, really dig that massive wick design. it looks sweet. I am assuming you wouldnt need to soak them for long those babies look like they woiuld burn for hours

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Which one? Because my first one turns out to be Isis. The only difference is to make it look Isis-y you have to twist the outside layer. My second one I guess is of my own and I think I'll keep that design to myself for now because I'm thinking about selling wicks over the summer.

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Both however i like the look of the second more so looks like less wieght and more sleek

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Actually the second one is a little lighter. It only has 1 layer, the knot will completely hold itself. You have to force 3 or 4 through before any start getting looser. I actually need pliers to undo it. It should definitely be longer lasting. If you want to pay me to make some, I could arrange that tongue2 Actually because I want to start doing that this summer anyways and it would be kind of stupid to put into public how I make it before I even start selling. If you can't afford that, or are a loser tongue2 that won't support me, I could PM you to try to explain it if you really do want to make them.

Edit: I didn't want to double post but wanted to add these in here:

I went from this:

Non-Https Image Link

To this:

Non-Https Image Link

Then to this baby I plan on making:

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1272653142)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, sorry to double post, but it needs to be bumped for a timely answer. How long do you think that final design will burn? It's basically a 1" by 3" section that spirals down. Actually that's exactly what it is. I'm just a little worried about my burn time smirk Also, if it affects it at all it will be 7" long.

336 posts

Posted:
I'd say not a long burn time at all, big flames but a lot of drag for some relatively light poi, isolations could be tricky...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Would you say as long as normal cathedrals?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Gotta go, but here before, I go:

Non-Https Image Link

Gotta lot to work with wink just about got the first wick done after an entire day. I'll be back later today, but my parents are yellin at me gotta go!

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
guys...anyone has ever used these quicklinks to atache the chain to the heads? I have but after trying how strong it is I yanked the chain hard and the quickling (closed) opened up on one side of the winding. I planed to use those triangles for handles and now i am kinda scared to do so...what if it opens on the handle side and a lit head will fly into the crowd?

has anyone experienced this before?
my problem is, that those fire heads are sewed so I cant undo them at all...

...can you speak poi?

336 posts

Posted:
@ SOD, i'd guess at less time than cathedrals but with a huge and intense flame, could be useful for choreographing to to a shorter piece of music
@ stano3b, i don't like the triangular quicklinks either, even tightened with pliers they can loosen off fairly easily during use, ditch them for regular quicklinks or a pro series chain setup smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
Or you could do what I did with the swivel on mine. Shove it into the eyebolt and clamp it back tight. smile I use the normal oval quicklinks, much stronger.

Page: