FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You got some trouble with the semi-allmighty Apple (Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone... soon to come iPad and iKey)?

Post it here...

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1272300978)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Maybe if iPad was something which meant I could have my period virtually rather than in reality then I'd line up to buy one.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Haha! Mesh! That link made me smile without even watching the video!

I'm going to buy twelve iPads, because its worth the money to be able to show off how chic I am.

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
What Rouge said, oh yes.

Otherwise it's the 'buntu for me: reads everything, doesn't do stuff without telling me.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
golden delicious!?!? WTF!?????? its not golden its bloody off greeny with splotches of yellow!!!! >.>

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm a linux fan and all, and Mac is pretty close to that but.... iPad.... Useless really.

I rather enjoy the idea of the kindle do-hickey. I'm an avid reader, and I can always download a new book if need be.

I really don't need a large PDA.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I like my old iPod, but I'm not cool enough to get in the iPhone club. Boo freakin' hoo, right? tongue2 On the whole though I don't really give a crap about that aspect of technology and media.

This is a funny article though I'm sure you'll appreciate Tom.
https://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

I freaking love cracked.com! tongue2

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayI rather enjoy the idea of the kindle do-hickey. I'm an avid reader, and I can always download a new book if need be.

I'm curious, cos I'm an avid reader as well. The avid kind who just doesn't get the iTampon. Wouldn't you just miss holding a book? The feel of it? Turning the pages? The act of reading as well as the book? Cos for me I just can't see a computer screen replacing the physical thing.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mel MephamSILVER Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
well, you think about sustainability and the potential tree saving that can be done buy reading a book on a screen, what they need to develop is a tangible book using materials that can read data from a usb or something similar so you have your whole library stored in one book, then you have the tangible old fashion book AND you can feel good about saving some trees. of course providing the material used is environmentally friendly and doesn't break down like most technology does these days.

Snish

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
That's always the catch with technology things; the fossil fuels that go into making the product can often be worse than the old-fashioned way of doing things. Not to mention the human wars that go on with no only oil but things like mining for coltan.

Really puts up an argument for illiteracy wink

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
LoL

Mel, Rouge, I think you're both right....

I do enjoy the feel and even smell of a good (sometimes old) book. But yeah, I feel that with the thousands upon thousands of pages I go through on real paper, might be better on non-paper.

I mean, the books will probably be made anyway, but it's also easier to carry with me, even maybe if I own a copy of the book already.

It's like music. I have many albums or songs on my computer in the mp3 format, but I still own a bunch of CDs, 33s, and 45s.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Collection of awesome iTampon jokes. Don't click if easily offended by female stuff.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonI'm curious, cos I'm an avid reader as well. The avid kind who just doesn't get the iTampon. Wouldn't you just miss holding a book? The feel of it? Turning the pages? The act of reading as well as the book? Cos for me I just can't see a computer screen replacing the physical thing.

I'm an avid reader, and I like books, but I have an ereader (sony 505, not an ipad): for me, for novel reading it works better than an ipad, and we travel alot, often by motorbike. One ereader is much easier to carry around than the 20 or so books I'd usually want for a 1 month trip (read about 1/2, want some choice), so pratically it's easier to do. I get the books mostly from places that aren't Amazon. tongue2

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Well worth a read...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scien...s-201004092628/

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Apple products = better than anything you or I could come up with. Can you run your house from your phone? I can, Thanks Apple for being way more AWESOME then any other thing out there! Your products sell themselves!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

SamhmanSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
I'm a huge fan of apple! But why make a novalty sized iTouch?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Why a smaller poi? Why a smaller staff?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if it seems overbearing. It's all a matter of preference, not everyone is programmed by the giant mythical machine. I do want the convenience of running my house from my phone, it will soon replace all of my keys, and debit cards. AWESOME! I suggest the emotional issue here, is your own.

I would also suggest that so much cynicism is unhealthy, let something negative effect you for a day, then let it roll away. Endeavour to look at things positively and if you dislike Steve Jobs or Apple products so much, don't purchase them.

I for one love the Apple products I have, but do not care to read my books on a computer screen of any sort.

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
I got all excited, a whole topic for my rants, and its just about computers. what a waste.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Rarr rarr rarr, core, rarr rarr rarr, stem, rarr rarr rarr, healthy, nutritious, rarr rarr rarr, seeds... rarr.

hug

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Yay Sundowner!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Meh - Apple used to be the mark of professionalism in a lot of creative industries (design, music, etc.).

Now Apple's consumer products are overpriced, underspecced and disturbingly incompaitble with anyone elses technology. Yes, they may be pretty but, people are paying a fortune for that design work.
Any why people keep making a fuss about Microsoft's monopolistic practices but yet ignore Apple is completely beyond me.

Seriously - Apple sell on branding and design (with the possible exception of the Mac Pro range). If you want good products made to a good standard that are outwardly compatible look elsewhere.

AND...
If you want to read ebooks - very soon there will be a colour (if you desperately want colour) version of the kindle e-reader. It will use colour digital paper (this has already been shown off at tech trade fairs). The current black and white one can read most text formats (including pdf and doc) and is on a free 3g wireless deal in most of the world!
It also has built in apps for dictionaty, thesaurus and wikipedia so it is also a complete reference guide.

To top it all off it uses Black and white digital paper. you can read it in direct sunlight and it needs no backlight. As such the battery lasts for up to 2 weeks.

My major problem is that I can buy paper copies of books cheaper than I can get digital downloads of them. How on earth does that work?

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SeyeMeh - Apple used to be the mark of professionalism in a lot of creative industries (design, music, etc.).

Now Apple's consumer products are overpriced, underspecced and disturbingly incompaitble with anyone elses technology. Yes, they may be pretty but, people are paying a fortune for that design work.
Any why people keep making a fuss about Microsoft's monopolistic practices but yet ignore Apple is completely beyond me.

Seriously - Apple sell on branding and design (with the possible exception of the Mac Pro range). If you want good products made to a good standard that are outwardly compatible look elsewhere.

AND...
If you want to read ebooks - very soon there will be a colour (if you desperately want colour) version of the kindle e-reader. It will use colour digital paper (this has already been shown off at tech trade fairs). The current black and white one can read most text formats (including pdf and doc) and is on a free 3g wireless deal in most of the world!
It also has built in apps for dictionaty, thesaurus and wikipedia so it is also a complete reference guide.

To top it all off it uses Black and white digital paper. you can read it in direct sunlight and it needs no backlight. As such the battery lasts for up to 2 weeks.

My major problem is that I can buy paper copies of books cheaper than I can get digital downloads of them. How on earth does that work?
Agreed. I like my iPod touch - but only when it's Jailbroken.

BTW, WHERE DO YOU GET BOOKS THAT CHEAP???? They're so expensive in NZ, it sucks!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Australia and NZ are notorious for expensive books. It's a complete joke but people keep arguing for such high prices cos it "preserves local literature." oh what bullshite.

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonAustralia and NZ are notorious for expensive books. It's a complete joke but people keep arguing for such high prices cos it "preserves local literature." oh what bullshite.
It's bloody hopeless. NZD30 for a new book (NOT hardcover, add another 15 for that...) Works out at about USD21.50 paperback, USD32.20 for a hardcover. Stupid pricing.... >.<

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
As an example...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/00072...;pf_rd_i=468294

Paper copy for £3.57 (with free postage)

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Science-ebook/dp/B002RI9ORI

Kindle copy for $5.45 (£3.54)

When you take into account the cost of buying a kindle ereader including postage (you have to import one from Amazon USA) and then charging it, the 3p you save dissapears.

I really cannot understand what the overheads are in selling ebooks. If they only cost a couple of pounds (which is probably the very most that the author, publisher and seller share anyway after printing and distribution) I'd be there like a shot.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
@ Seye: numbers, competition, and some publishers being afraid of epublishing.

Which is why I have a Sony ereader instead: it's a bit more work getting the books on it but it reads more formats than the Kindle (going on the mobiread wiki, I've not checked), it's firmware is hackable and I can reformat ebooks for it to the look I want.

Since I enjoy older books there's also a huge range of free books available and I can use it with library ebooks.

Agreed about eink versus the ipad oled.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I love Macs and miss my old Power PC and G4, but I couldn't easily take my production graphics assignments and work on them at home (it was my high school major and 1998 BTW) so I got a high powered laptop to plug my devices into then the iMac made the Mac market crash...

*forward to now*

I'm going back to Mac and getting a customized MacBook Pro (I don't trust military movers with a MacPro) because I wish to go back into video editing plus it's the best machine to run Adobe Suite 4 in addition to other programs for casual use (and I hate PCs as they serve no use for my creative interests, they become obsolete too quickly, plus the hackers/crackers/loggers will crash your system for clicking the wrong link or they attack a common social networking/bulletin board site's server).

My only rant I have is that to get my customized machine I cannot go to the Apple store, but must order all my specs online and have it shipped to me and go to the Apple store for any issues or work needed done. I don't like having hardware shipped to me if I choose to upgrade more than the memory, but I'm more than happy to pay 3K-4K and have a machine last well over 5 years plus keep my important internet usages (ones that involve finances and potential identity theft) more secure due to less targeting on Mac OS users. Depending on what you're looking for a Mac might not be someone's cup of tea, but from experience and money wasted PCs are not mine.

That's it, only one minor gripe! twocents

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SamhmanSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
iSmarthome. That's never been done?