Forums > Social Discussion > NZ supports whaling compromise

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
GRRRRRRRRRR not only NZ but also other countries... damn politicks frown

Quote:New Zealand is part of a group of countries offering a compromise with Japan at international whaling talks.

The group will put forward the proposal at the next International Whaling Commission meeting in June.

The deal would allow some whales to be killed in return for a reduction in the quota of whales hunted under Japan's so-called scientific research program.

"The problem here is that there is no effective international control over the number of whales that are being killed," New Zealand whaling commissioner Sir Geoffrey Palmer said.

Business as usual... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yup, "business as usual" is pretty much summing it up.

It's complete and utter crap. The compromise won't work and we will be back at square one again in a few years...then watching the exact compromise being made again.

*sits back and waits for the pro-whaling people to appear in this thread*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
What are the pro whaling arguments anyway? Does it go beyond "Om nom nom nom, tasty fishies."

(I do know its a mammal)

hug

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
The lone one really hates the song of the 12?

Just a dancer in the dark

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Pro-whaling arguments include but are not limited to:

It's traditional.
You eat cows you hypocritical racists.
It's traditional.
Don't tell us what to do.
Australians eat kangaroos. You racists.
It's traditional.
F-off whiteies you racists.
You used to whale!
It's traditional!
Why do you only attack Japan and not those other countries that also do it? It's cos you're racist.
Weren't you listening? It's traditional!!!1111oneoneone11!!!
Oh, and it's research. yeah.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:

https://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9ER0IIG0&show_article=1
Greenpeace have just blockaded a containership with whale meat for Japan from Iceland all in a good cause except it has caused one of my customers (who ironically deal in Fair trade cargo) to be filed for administration because their cargo has been delayed passed the date the could have sold it to fight off the taxman. Seems Greenpeace are all for the whales but against Eco and renewable companies too oops probably gonna mean that by their direct actions there will be less fair trade options in the UK, good plan secondary fall out not thought through.

Don't the eskimos still hunt whales for food, clothing etc as part of their traditional ways, fair it's not as many as the japanese but a total ban would wipe out their way of life forever, so who wins the ethics there, save the whales or save the eskimos?
https://depts.washington.edu/rural/RURAL/fieldnotes/detevukpaper.html
Kind of similar to saying the masi aren't allowed to hunt the savannahs anymore because they are in a game reserve (I don't think they are just drawing a parallel) it's a choice between traditions and a species.
Or aboriginees aren't allowed to do something (I'm not too good on their traditions so I fall a bit short here)

Does a tradition have a right to survive to keep the knowledge alive and keep the diversity of OUR race or does a species have a right to survive, just because it exists? I fully uphold that humans should not be the cause of a species death, but also hold that we shouldn't try to artificially keep a species existing for the sake that we don't want to see the end of it. I think they should be allowed to run they're own course as nature intended. If every part of the whale is used productively for a whole society and only involves a couple of whales a year then I say let them, if it's industry then I'd lean towards the side of the whales. The Japanese don't need whaling anymore, they have other industries and ways of life it's just greed with them. But can see the nordic perspective, it's very hard to farm anything inside the arctic circle, however again I don't believe it should survive as a national industry.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Can you uphold the tradition of whaling without any whales?

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
maybe whalers have to turn up in Wales before whaling gets stopped completely...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I can see the japanese crowding round a small principality jabbing spears into the beaches and garbelling that something's not right whilst the sheep look on in confusion laugh3

or maybe you could do the same as mock fox hunting - dress someone in a fat suit smear them in whale urine and hunt them at sea with a giant sucker arrow.

I got a bit annoyed yesterday by Greenpeaces unthought action against a containership transporting whale meat to Japan. I approve of the cause, but the plan was honestly rubbish. They should surely be fighting to stop the whales being killed NOT to cause a waste of what's already been taken. All they did was annoy UK businesses (and hand me a plate of being moaned at), the Meat will still get to Japan, either in that container or another OR because the load is lost another will be sent which seems to work againist protecting whales.

Maybe some whales should be taught to fight back, then released to spread the info to other whales via podcast.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MynciMaybe some whales should be taught to fight back, then released to spread the info to other whales via podcast.
laugh3 Nice one Mynci!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonOh, and it's research. yeah.

To paraphrase from Good Omens, is this research how many whales we can catch?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Let's just tear down the Beehive and start over.

A bag of jellybeans and watermelon anyone?

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
If the stupid whales didn't want to get eaten, they'd stop being so delicious. Duh.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse