KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
WORKER DEAD AT DESK FOR 5 DAYS
New York Times 1-22-03

Bosses of a publishing firm are trying to work out why no one noticed

that one of their employees had been sitting dead at his desk for FIVE DAYS before anyone asked if he was feeling okay.

George Turklebaum, 51, who had been employed as a proof-reader at a New York firm for 30 years, had a heart attack in the open-plan office he shared
with 23 other workers. He quietly passed away on Monday, but nobody noticed until Saturday morning when an office cleaner asked why he was still working during the weekend.

His boss Elliot Wachiaski said: "George was always the first guy in each morning and the last to leave at night, so no one found it unusual that
he was in the same position all that time and didn't say anything.

"He was always absorbed in his work and kept much to himself."

A post mortem examination revealed that he had been dead for five days after suffering a coronary. Ironically, George was proofreading manuscripts of medical textbooks when he died.

You may want to give your co-workers a nudge occasionally.

Moral of the story: Don't work too hard. Nobody notices anyway.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend. But the moral is still good.

Here is a link to an urban legend debunking site:
https://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/fivedays.htm

[ 03. July 2003, 03:13: Message edited by: Pele'sWhippingBoy ]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

yashyamember
25 posts

Posted:
Urban Myth...
you gotta be taking the mick

... learn to swim ...

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
that's not even funny

I know how he feels

post-Glastonbury blues and a very tedious job are making this day very long and very boring

what would I do without HoP?

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I did a search on NY times for article but could not find anything so presume it is a hoax.

Still very funny though And remember the moral is don't work too hard cause nobody notices

Although, I just had a very close shave, heart just slowing down now. Just sent an email gossipping about my boss to my colleague. Except I sent it to my boss instead!! Grabbed IT manager and he logged in and deleted the damn thing. There was nothing insulting in it, but still not the impression I want to make 2 weeks before my pay review

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
legend or not ...

did you already hear about this ... i got it from "metro" (okt. 2002) ... i´ll try just to tell in a few words ...

in japan it is called : karoshi (dead due to overwork), last year (2001) there died 143 japans due to too much work. 21,4% made 80 extra-hours ... there are cases of more then 100 extra-hours a month ...

it must be said that i am from belgium where the social laws and regulations don´t even let these things happen (max. 60 extra-hours per 3 months are allowed) ... when it comes to work and social laws ... i am happy to be in belgium i guess ... with all my respect to all these people who live in countries where there are not such a regulations ...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i still like this one:

Buckinghamshire examiner 4/7/03

"Earlier today, 18 year old *removed*, fell asleep at his desk due to boredom.

the 18 year old said how one minute he was sitting doing nothing, and the next he received an electric shock from his drool entering the keyboard, thus waking him up.

"I was sitting doing nothing. then i woke up. there were key marks on my left cheek."

*removed*, who recently finished his exams, has
been sitting all day in his home posting random nonsense on an internet message board....bored."

Now thats a real story!
EDITED_BY: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot (1339153787)

Gingerninjamember
20 posts

Posted:
Hi Peeps

Like the story!
I can totally relate to the mind-melting boredom of the 9-5. At the moment all I can do is watch '40 days and 40 nights' and pray that somewhere out there is a company just like that that accidently rings me and offers me a job.

That is of course unless it really does exist! i don't know does anyone really like their dayjob??

Even under it's burden, the soul awakes and sings. - C.A.Sainte-Beuve

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
and THAT, my lovely fire friends, is another good reason why firetwirling is good for you! but if you firebreathe, stay away from me, k?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always