Forums > Help! > 1st performance coming

Login/Join to Participate

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
ok...my and my gf are gonna perform in about 2 months and we need your help!

We are more excited rather than nervous BUT...we are both afraid of getting into "what to do next" bits and repeating tricks, combos. Neither of us has a routine prepared...we just plan to spin spontaneously to music. Is that a problem? Should each of us put a routine together? If yes, should reoutines differ for fire and lights ? I know they can't be the same, but some moves look better with fire and some with lights (flowlights)...any tips?

Ive performed diabolo'and know that people go WOW for tricks like elevator etc. rather than any kind of hard combo. Is it the same with poi?

we plan to spin individually one by one as we dont have any duo/partner poi inputs prepared so far (but are working on it for sure)...
should we leave a couple of seconds between each other's entrance, or is it better to do as little gaps as possile?

ANY info VERY appreciated!!!

thanks smile

...can you speak poi?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't start with complicated moves I find. How complicated doesn't really have an effect, but how it looks in general. Like Nevisoul's beatswitch roll. Always good reactions from that. Especially spiral wraps get good ones with fire. Also if you can do the continuous spiral where you wrap once around your wrist and lock them together. Many of the simplest moves get the biggest wow factor.

Here's what people have told me as their favorite moves: Buzzsaw, the stall thing that Nevisoul puts his wicks out with, orbitals, that Nevisoul style roll, and continuous spirals. That's all I can remember right now.

Choreographing is not needed, but is really impressive with partners because you can work together and synchronize.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I have definitely found there tend to be diminishing returns for technical difficulty. A solidly executed 360 turn followed by an antispin flower gets more response by far than my triquetra CAP-plane break-pendulum transitions do. I would strive for elegance, and one or two moves that make people scratch their heads.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
really depends what level your at, the main thing in any performance is to think about your planes and make sure you present your circles to the crowd eg if your doing flowers or weave type stuff you should be side on to them so they can see the patterns.
Only do what your comfortable with, crowds generally have little or no knowledge of poi so they will like pretty much whatever you do and repeating a few tricks won't be a problem so long as you don't do the same move for AGES.
As for choreographing I wouldn't worry about it, just go over in your head what you know and try to do a reasonable range of moves. I don't normally bother unless it's something major or I'm performing in front of other spinners, THEN it's time to crank up the planeswitching and technical stuff that would be lost on a normal crowd.
you could quite easily do some partner stuff though, no need for complicated interlocking moves but even if you synchronise fountains/reels/betterflys broken up by some freestyle it can look pretty cool smile
good luck smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
I agree with liquidtrance, the most important thing is to be aware of which way your facing and whether the patterns your making are showing to the audience. but don't let that stop you from spinnign around and using all your turns and planes.

orbitals get a good response, especially if you can take them around your head... not an easy move though and can be problematic to get out of cleanly.

good luck, i love performing so hopefully you find it fun too!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Orbitals are wierd for me with my chains. For about a month around my starting in poi I was captivated by orbitals and strived to perfect them, I did. Never once have I failed with fire or with my LED's in 2-3 months, but with my chains unlit, for some reason or another orbitals don't like me and I can almost never get it smirk Why that is has never answered itself to me.

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitthe stall thing that Nevisoul puts his wicks out with, that Nevisoul style roll

dang...I dont know which moves are those. Can anyone explain please?

Yeah I will keep in mind to face the crowd properly. And I can do orbitals, even around my head so hoping for a good response for those.

BTW: if you mess up a trick do you repeat it or just go on without it?

to SpinnerofDetroit: it depends a lot on the chain you use. With oval link one it shouldnt be a problem

EDITED_BY: stano3b (1270161135)

...can you speak poi?

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
' BTW: if you mess up a trick do you repeat it or just go on without it? '

depends on the move/mistake, generally try it again and if it doesn't work out move on, you can always go back to it later in the spin(audience won't mind a few mistakes, just try to avoid spending 20seconds trying to do the same move over and over again or they'll get bored) don't stress out about doing mad techy stuff that you're still trying to learn, the audience generally doesn't know one move from another and you look better flowing in clean planes with simple moves than pulling off an out of shape techy move

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, the one he puts his wick out with you can see in this one at the end:

And his roll is at about 45 seconds on this one:

I love and use both of these. I've taken much inspiration from this man grin Also, he found me my favorite song (the one he uses)