SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
OK, in my English class, we are doing the dreaded full out research paper. I have already decided in advance I want to do it on the benefits of skill toy practice in general (poi, staff, rope dart, blah blah blah...)

And I figured you guys might know some good sources for me to look at and ideas to use because I know this will make my major pain in the censored a little less painy smile

I figure start with the obvious, physical and mental health benefits. If you know any good sources for that, that would be amazing, and it can't be Wikipedia unfortunately. If you know any other benefits, that would be amazing, or any other topics to use in the paper. Because this thing is gonna be huge, like 200 points huge.

Also, if you have the work cited information on it, that would be amazingly helpful because I'm gonna have to make hours worth of work on a million of these stupid things soon.

And thank you all in advance for all of those that help grin you get a hug hug2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, It turns out I have to have at least 20 sources. This is a bit harder to look for than I thought. I have 3 so far. Poi and Your health on Playpoi, Something from Flowology on Temple of Poi, and Finding Flow my Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
You could look for studies on things that aren't specifically the skill toys you are talking about such as studies on jump rope, dancing, calisthenics tie chi. Because those are more main stream you might be able to find more information on them and relate them back to the props that you are talking about.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Anecdotal evidence? I lost about 15 kgs and gained loads of muscle after taking up poi, and I made no concious effort to exercise at all!

Not just that, but I was meeting more people and when I discovered I was actually quite good at poi I gained self esteem.

It helped me learn more about teaching (which is what I'm doing my degree in) by discovering the way I and other people learn poi!

If you want me to expand on that, I can do so.

hug

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes MNS, I can use that. That is my own research, but I have to ask how to cite it, or if I just need to mention it was my own research.

Also Tei Chi would be good because it has to do with the natural circles around your body and moving with them.

Edit: I may need your guy's real first and last names to cite you guys as part of a study or to quote you. I'm not sure if I need age or anything else.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270085934)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
One direction to take would be the benefits in early development ie children using skill toys to increase fine and gross motor skills and do it as a comparison to adults and the differences in the way that the two groups learn. Not really sure if that is the sort of information you are after but that sort of thing there are heaps of refs for(did a paper at uni on motor skill development in children) Havent found anything specifically relating to poi but heaps in google

Hope that helps
trip

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you can take it in a few directions, but you can indeed pull out research on the links between depression and a lack of exercise and whatever else you can think of.

My first name is Stuart and I'll send you a tell with my last name. -_^

hug

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
you could talk about the social aspects of being part of such a wide spinning community? like since taking up poi 3 months ago i have already made friends with new people who spin?

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Have you considered starting at the source of poi? Maori culture and the role poi plays.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have made no new friends with people who spin. No one else here spins frown The closest person I found is pretty far away. And the Maori thing wouldn't work because this paper is about the physical/mental health benefits as well as social benefits of skill toy practice. But most if this leads to poi. If you guys can find some about staff or something else, that would be really good.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The physical/mental health benefits work for any physical activity.

I didn't meet people in the scene for ages, either. ^_^

hug

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Playpoi has a video on youtube where they have a doctor discuss the physical benefits of skill toys... I'm currently sleepy/hung over and getting ready for class, otherwise, I'd find it and link it for ya.

Also, if you do a search, there is a multi-page thread here on HoP about the very subject.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
One of the joys of being educated in NZ, is that my 5th form(grade 10) poly teacher fancied himself a Maori expert. It's believed that the art was practiced, at first, by Maori warriors to improve flexibility in the wrists and help with the motions of their clubs. It wasn't until later that it evolved into an art practiced mainly by women.

If that isn't a physical benefit, I am not sure what is. wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ecaPlaypoi has a video on youtube where they have a doctor discuss the physical benefits of skill toys... I'm currently sleepy/hung over and getting ready for class, otherwise, I'd find it and link it for ya.

Also, if you do a search, there is a multi-page thread here on HoP about the very subject.
That was my first source, good try anyways wink

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
It COULD be worse, you know. I had to write a Capstone and Case Study paper this term. It was over fifty pages and broke down to eight research chapters, each with at least five sources per chapter.

That said, I wish you luck man.

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have to have at least 20 sources. I still have a lot to go and due monday PLEASE HELP!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Awe crap SoD I forgot to find some stuff for you I get on that as late as it may be.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have 10 so far. actually 11 I think. but whatever, not the easiest thing to find, but it's a subject I enjoy grin Btw if you know any sources that aren't poi, but lets say staff, rope dart, hooping (I found a hooping :D), contact juggling, ext., that would be awesome.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270955867)

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Contact Juggling:

https://www.contactjuggling.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7818

https://www.contactjuggling.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6508

That second one will probably be more what you're looking for. The first one is the history of Cj.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately for me those aren't articles or anything I can site or would be credible by standards of a research paper frown Well I have to get up early for work tomorrow, So I'll go to bed with what I have now and flail my pen tomorrow.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270957496)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
https://history-nz.org/poi.html
?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
It might help if you gave us a rundown on what you do have...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Finding Flow - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Skill Toys and Your Health - Jaime Dunnett
Benefits of Poi - Temple of Poi
The Benefits of Poi - poipoi.info
Is our modern use of "poi" offensive to the Maori people of New Zealand?" - HoP
History of Maori Poi - Poi-E; a Kiwi Classic - HoP