Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Starting with glowstrings better than poi?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GixxxerKimBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I went to Electric Zoo here in NY 2009, and got my first taste of glowstringing. I saw my first fire poi back in 2006, but never gave it a try. I just started a month ago with some shoe strings and glow sticks and I incorporate some practice at the gym. I feel that the weight isn't there to help the sticks move well enough, and I wondered, should I be gravitating toward other/better tools to get better at moving?

Flowlights caught my attention obviously, but when I'm still slapping the glowsticks together now and then, I feel it would be a wise investment to stick with my cheaper sticks for now.

My question is, how easy is it to transfer from a weighted beginner poi, to a glowstick, or a flowlight? Would I be better off getting beginner fuzzy poi and leashes, and THEN doing the LED light show? Or stick to my cheap glowsticks maybe upgrade to some leashes?

You and the Captain, Makin' it Happen!

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister Eleven100g isn't bad. It's a tennis ball with 8 nickels inside, which is about what I have in my cone poi. Much lighter than that and they can be all floppy and weird. I use sock poi with tennis balls, but only where there isn't a breeze or where I don't want to go fast.

You should use some sort of fill. I use the stuff you put in vases. Plastic bits. Fill, type flip inside out tie turn inside in and make handles. The sock poi are awesome that way. I think I started inside out and did another pass or something. I think it's the best thing for practicing anything.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
warning, if you start with glowsticks, you need to typically go much faster. If you get good with them it'll take a while to slow down to poi's artisticness and precision.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Page: