ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
So, in learning the 3bt weave I did my left hand on top first, but I get into the three beat by crossing my right poi to my left and bring the left over top.

Because that's how I get into the 3bt have I screwed myself from learning the reverse?

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I dont believe you can screw yourself out of learning a trick. Just gotta be determined to really learn it. as for the weave it the same concept reverse. You move your hand under the other instead of over. I remember when I learned this that the poi came at my head a lot in the process.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Well, when I start my normal 3bt, I lead with my right hand going under my left. After that, it's the normal over/under. Not sure if starting with one hand under is going to cause problems or not.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid I might be confused.... To go from split time forward into a 3bt weave you need to move one hand on top and one underneath and switch which side of the body they are on.... So unless I'm confused, you aren't doing anything wrong. *shrug*.

Now, just turn 180 degrees while spinning and see if reverse just... happens... =)

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I tried that thinking the same thing, and smacked myself in the face and the back of the head simultaneously...

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
That happens to me too. Right now it's happening when I try to turn from a 3bt btb weave into a reverse 3bt btb weave.... Good times.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yup, good times indeed. Where tha absolute simplest thing in poi entertains you fully.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Is there a specific turn (or way to turn) that I should try?

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I would say just make sure you are spinning slowly to learn, and turn when it feels comfortable.

Maybe try one hand at a time to get used to turning will it's going, or try turning from split time forward into split time reverse with no weave. *shrug*

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Sounds like some sound advice to me. Thanks for the help.

I doubt (and hope, and pray) that it doesn't take me as long to learn the reverse weave as it did the forward weave. I have a feeling that anything btb is going to stress me out horribly

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Tips for btb.... stretch alot. You don't want to hurt yourself.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I need to stretch more anyway... 8 months ago I was able to lean forward and put my hands flat on the floor. Now, I'd be amazed if I could reach my ankles doing the same.

*Sigh* I guess that's what happens when you ride 300-400 miles a week on a bicycle and don't stretch.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
For waist wrap weaves/btb fountain/forwards btb weave into backwards btb weave, I found it really useful to count the beats in your head before changing sides. 1,2,3.. in front on one side, 1,2,3.. behind, and 1,2,3 in front on the other side. The move is a lot easier if you're comfortable with waist wraps and meltdowns.

I second that comment about stretching - I was out of commission for hours while learning waist wrap weaves without stretching beforehand.

Happy spinning!
EDITED_BY: VillageIdiot (1269138337)

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I think I'm close to getting it... well, I can turn 180 without smacking myself now grin.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
ha, short answer to the original question, no. as you get comfortable with a 3 beat forwards, then reverse, then the turn, and start to move onward from there, you will figure out that you can get in and out of weaves more and more easily.

you didn't learn anything wrong, just give it time, and remember every one spins a little different.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Yeah your probably screwed.

You've made to many bad habits for yourself, it is going to be impossible to get untied at this point.

You may as well give up.

tongue2

Have you tried saying the three beat patterns to yourself as you spin them? As you go through a forwards each hand goes:
Over, then Under, then Back to uncrossed, then repeats again.
A backwards three beat is the reverse direction of that. Each hand goes: Under, then Over, then Back.

If you haven't already, watch Nick's Woolsey's video on turning with weaves:

don't get in the habit of giving up, it gets in the way of your learning.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Haha, don't feel too bad. I managed to un-learn a trick. I could do a reverse btb 3 beat weave, then one day I messed up doing it and ever since then I cannot do it at all. I'm sure if I devoted enough time just doing that one thing then it would come back but so far nothing. It's just frustrating because that trick has taken plenty of time to get down and now suddenly it's mocking my efforts. I can start it but at this one point going from left to right everything falls apart and the poi simultaneously smack me in the torso.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DyamiTKdon't get in the habit of giving up, it gets in the way of your learning.

Probably one of the best life philosophies around actually....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

TobinWrightBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I find if I have a couple drink before I go out I do a lot better. If you're not legal, don't do this.

Start by spinning your poi forward in split time. Just close your eyes and keep spinning. Sometimes I'll spin for a couple minutes before I make a move. Just wait until you feel your arms are synced and ready to make the move that your brain knows, but your body doesn't.

You're going to hit yourself, it's inevitable. Use it as motive to get it right. Just try and feel the motion in your mind and eventually your body will follow. Good luck!

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Just got it! It's choppy, and feels weird, but I got it grin

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Hooray! Once you got the move an hour or two's practice should fix the weird and choppy bits. smile