corbetBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a set of flag poi for a gift, and all the instructions I've found seem to use ball chain. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find big enough ball chain in my city. Has anyone made flags using regular chain? I'm wondering if I can get away using that, assuming I integrate some sort of swivel to make up for lack of swivels in the chain itself. Will this work? Would it impact how well the flags spin?

Thanks!

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
recommend buying a set of wings from ericspoitoys (google it) best flag type poi available. Flags are a mission to make yourself and are very difficult to use- too much drag.
erics wings have a smaller surface area so are very easy to use smile
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1268260763)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Home of Poi has them too grin Also, HoP has some strong ballchain. If you're that worried about it's strength, get the stainless steel ballchain not the Nickel plated steel.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1268267011)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: corbetHi all,

I'm trying to make a set of flag poi for a gift, and all the instructions I've found seem to use ball chain. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find big enough ball chain in my city. Has anyone made flags using regular chain? I'm wondering if I can get away using that, assuming I integrate some sort of swivel to make up for lack of swivels in the chain itself. Will this work? Would it impact how well the flags spin?

Thanks!

Can do it. If you look in the collaboration video, that is how I made the flags I use there.

I took a long rectangle of cloth and laid the chain in the center and folded it in half. Sew along the "flag" side of the chain with a machine and then sew through the links by hand (stops the chain slipping out).

It works ok, could probably do something better now if I tried again. Every now and again the flag rolls up, just change direction and this undoes again. Also, anti-spin is difficult.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOS©
34 posts

Posted:
I've been considering sewing up a set of my own flag poi as well.

My idea is to use my fire chains (oval link with swivels and single loop handles) and I plan on sewing a flag that slips over it and brings the chain up around the first "right angle" of the flag, to weight the entire leading edge.

It might sound a little vague now, but when i get them constructed i'll be sure to post pictures/tutorial for them.