• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Dexta
PLATINUM Member since May 2005

Dexta

burner

Total posts: 90
Posted:I'm trying to make a set of fire fans. So far i have the stainless steel constructon all done with 5 metal prongs on each fan. I've used 4mm dia stainless steel rods and now that i've come to attaching the wicks I've gotten stuck as to how to get the wicking to stay on. I want to use flat wick.

The fans on HoP have the wick held on with tonnes of glue and a bit of stitching at the ends. Is this the best way?

Any advice is much appreciated kiss

Google "Fyregear" for great fire equipment.

Delete Topic

Brenn
PLATINUM Member since Jun 2004

Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.

Total posts: 3286
Posted:It's certainly one way, and a way that has held my HoP fans in good stead for over 6 months of continuous use to this day smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 999
Posted:Never rely on "basic glue" and stitching to hold wicks in place, it won't last.

The HOP fans' wicks are attached over a loop of wire that is then glued (although not actually for securing the wicks to the wire) after being crimped, tightened and stitched 4 times over with 100% Kelvar(R) across the full width of the wicks (not at just the end as you said).

Our way may not be the best way for you, as you may not have the same equipment.

There are many ways of attaching wicks.
Main thing to consider is..

Making sure they never fly off
by having something (loop, T, welded stopper) at the end of, or beneath the wicks to stop the wick sliding off the end
and/or
by having a metal clamping system, further wires, bolts or screws to hold the wicks securely onto the fan frame.

If you want to limit exposed hardware then stitch with pure Kevlar(R) another layer of wicking to cover over your screws, bolts or additional wires.

Once made, test thoroughly by pulling on and twisting the wicks on the fan frame.

As well as the wicks coming off you will not want them slipping down towards your hands either.

Keep any stitching recessed and stitch multiple times for longer life.

What ever you decide to do
Always test all your fire tools (self-made or purchased) before every fire session

All the best

Malcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:clap Nicely put!

You may also try to groove a screw thread and use washer + screw nut to hold them in place...

Malcolm you couldn't stand someone claiming that HoP uses glue only, huh? ubblol Wonder why... ubblol hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Mordfabrik
SILVER Member since Sep 2006

Total posts: 31
Posted:With some of the ones i've made, i've put a few tiny holes through the fans themselves, and stitched a few sections of wire through both the fans and the wicking internally, as well as gluing and using kevlar thread at the ends.

Delete

Dexta
PLATINUM Member since May 2005

Dexta

burner

Total posts: 90
Posted:Sorry Malcolm - i didn't mean to discredit your product in any way. Looking at the fans from the outside (a friend has some) all you see is glue and a bit of stitching so it's hard to know what's holding it together on the inside.

Thanks for the clarification smile

Google "Fyregear" for great fire equipment.

Delete

cirquefire

stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:Hey guys- I am having a similar issue, but I am hiring a bad ass friend who knows how to weld to make mine, he has completed the fan and we are not sure how to attach the wicks to where they are not going to fly off obviously. what is the best way to attach them on? Any help would be fantastic.

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:umm errm read the thread? wink a few suggestions right there wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete