Page:
Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
ok so lately there has just been all this angst on the board (and im *this* close to just quittin the thing) so i propose some suggestions:1. if its a controversial topic, READ all the posts before you post your passionate response. people are jumping to premature conclusions like fleas in a frying pan lately.2. we non-newbies help malcom out with writing the faq and all write an article on frequently asked things to help out the newbies.3. my personal pet peeve: please for gods sake write in english! 2 kewl 4 U is just so 1996.i just ignore these posts so if you had something good to say you're not getting it across. of course we're all a bunch of free spirits and all that so no one can really tell you what to do and I'm gonna be the one to be flamed for bringing the angst out in the open but if we want to keep it informative and useful and happy and good maybe it has to.Pere

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Does this mean it's time to pull out the "medieval bashing poi" and beat each other senseless? :P Anyone ever heard of a "Primal Scream" ??? It's an old concept..for people who don't have any ways of releasing stored up anger...teach them to scream as loud as they can. Seems like something anyone should be able to do. smile Not many publically acceptable placed to do this though. smile *imagines screaming bloody murder at any sort of gathering might turn a few heads* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!*NO* YOU CANNOT SEE MY TOYS! MINE I TELL YOU! ALL MINE! MUHAHAHAHAA(yes this was meant to be a joke, be it ever so poor humor..*Grin*)------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
this may have not of been the greatest discusion to begin with, but i'm definatly glad it happend to some extent. i'm not glad we sort of got flamed at each other, but for me it's been a REAL learning experience. i'm taking this one with me on my list of things to learn from and am gunna act on it! am not happy it had to come to that but i think not just me but maby a little of everyone had a little something to get off their chests or flame up about. i know i can't say much on anyones behalf, but at least it happened to people who r resonable, understanding, and considerate, and it wasn't vented on someone you REALLY love! i think we can ALL learn maby not directly, but from this discussion that sometimes a little heat can turn out to be a sort of ok thing! however, I am definatly not gunna flame up on ANY of you anymore! unless it even More stupid than the topic i brought up! wink smile someone said it before, *lets all be friends!* besides, your the ONLY people i have to talk about poi with b/c no one in my area dose it! i can't be enemy's with you! grin grin

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
And on that note..."FLAMES" up some fire poi and starts dancing around....in my head of course. I wouldn't dare pick up a set of fire poi....just yet. *evil grin*Plazma, you should do what I did..I didn't know anyone in my area that spun. Teach a friend! smile Then start a local group. We just started doing meets here in Tampa, FL, and I must say every meet, we have a better and better time! smile Happy twirlin!much love guys,CRD[This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 30 May 2001).]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmmm, I suppose since I'm one of the folx who's kinda gone away lately, I should chime in. I've taken some time off to work on a production. But coming back I've noticed a few things. It doesn't seem like there's any more "5-beat weave" or "sparkly poi" posts than before. Neither does it seem like there's more flaming threads than before. It does seem, as one of my compatriots has said, that there's an absence of "threads that can go anywhere". I frankly don't see very many topics that interest me. Maybe I've gone dumb too, cuz I can't think of any good topics to post either. That being said, I'd say I'm not crazy about some of the off-topic posts about beer and the like. Sure, I've posted off-topic and replied to off-topic posts. I'd like an off-topic post to at least spawn an in-depth discussion. I can ignore the recycling topics and off-topic post if there's enough info relevant to me to keep me interested. Don't even think of separating the elders from the newbies. It's important, at a time where there's practically no lineage in many fire scenes, for the more experienced to pass on their wisdom and for the less experienced to receive it. I think I've recommended this before, but I write it again. I think General Discussion might do well to be split into two topics. One could be more of a how-to and one could be more philosophical in nature. The first would be a good place to post about making tools and using fuels. The second would be good for what forms of dance work well with fire and ideas on creating complete act. The deal with General Discussion is that it's general. That means everything, for good or ill, goes there. The other thing that occured to me about New Moves is that it says "tell us about any new moves you have". This may lead newer folx to think that New Moves is *not* asking about how to do a move. Maybe some rephrasing there would help. Anyway, I don't like the idea of pulling posts either. Remember when someone's kid brother logged on as them and dissed them. Someone faked logging in as me once. It all comes out in the wash. I'd hope we're all grown up enough to attempt to handle free speech here. Thanks for reading. Diana

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
(N8 peers meeky at the BB)Do I dare?Yeah, what the hell. I agree with Diana. Don't split the rookies and experianced, we all gotta learn from some one. I also think that the titles need a little reshaping, I'm basically agreeing with everything Diana said and pushing for positive change, splitting us up isn't positive- perhaps with a little more tolerance this will all work out fine.well for what its worth,there's my $0.02N8------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pere for opening this thread, considering the amount of replies in that short amount of time, it was very much needed. I HAVE TO, not to open the controversy again but I think the exact statement was "P.L.U.R. can suck my C.O.C.K".I saw it on some guy's t-shirt in a record store and i thought it was pretty funny.Nomad

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Here I am on my holidays, at an internet cafe, enjoying the time off I have taken to enjoy the milestine of turning 25 and I was quite suprised when this was the first topic I read.Ive been checking this board for a year, I dont always contribute a hell of a lot but I liked to think I was part of the board. I also think FF, that while you Frenzie, Diana & the rest of the people you mentioned contribute positively and interesting topics to this board, discussions might get a tad boring if it was just you guys. There have been quite a new members that have joined, and arent they quite welcome to? Otherwise Malcom would have set up a private site and just invited the select view. I have the utmost respect for Diana, Pele, Josh, Simos, Garbo and all the rest of you maniacs who post such interestiing topics to the board, and it is nice to see you not closing yourself off to new people and new ideas. Its just a message board, not an elitist club. Theres a hell of a lot of people on this board, all with one interest in common - poi, and besides that I would bet that the majority of us are completely different people. Instead of closing yourself off cause there are topics you dont agree with, please continue to post interesting topics that you want to raise. The board can only be as good as you try to make it. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Wow...I dont really even check the general discussion too much anymore. Every few days I run through and look for interesting topics and post occasionally.When a friend told me about this post I was like: No way... thats crazy! You know? So I had to check it out and read each one. At first, there was a whole lot that I wanted to reply to. A lot of it has been said. A lot more doesnt need to be said.I see this board like this. It was born. It began to crawl. Began to play, still in its innocence. It grew. Kept on growing. I would say that it is now in its rebellious defining 'teen' stage going through its rite of passage.I suppose i might have been a little disillusioned by its greatness when I meandered in here. There is a saying:99% of the people in this world simply take up space. I am not going to direct this at anyone specific on this site. My point is, that my illusion was that everyone on this board was immune to that rule. I forgot everyone on here was human. With attitudes and egos. Which I am fine with. It gives spice to many personalities, and draws out some highly beneficial talks, such as this. So now I know (i think i know that is).Sometimes I get carried away with such a good thing and positive vibes. Great ideas everyone. Change is good. Change is healthy. Prohibition and censorship is not. It might begin inncoently. Do you think it would stay that way? Were politicians corrupt from birth?Peace to all,Respect to all.Unity... may come. In the spirit of art, all ego pushed to the side, I know there is unity.And from that unity of the spirit, is a well of love that will never run dry.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Crikey, where did that big yellow thing come from? Big changes overnight.Interesting thread, though.Just a few thoughts in whatever order they come off the top of my head...Newbies/experienced - not too clear how this could be implemented. If it's by when people were first registered, that excludes from 'experienced': - people who followed the traditional etiquette and lurked for a while before registering so as to reply to a post- people who've been playing with fire for years but only found the site yesterdayIf it's by number of posts, how do you distinguish someone who's made a dozen high-quality informative enlightening posts from someone who's posted the equivalent of 'me too' 200 times?Also, everyone has something to impart, and everyone has something to learn. For a newbie, if they find themselves in an environment where there are 50 people all asking "how do you do a corkscrew" and none who can answer, well, they're not going to come back. I'm a programmer. I've got 20 years of experience. Every now and then, one of my trainees will ask me a question that had never occurred to me and give a valuable insight into something new, making me a better programmer. Most of the time they ask 'dumb, obvious' questions. But I'd really miss them if they weren't here. The day we stop learning is the day we are dead.Moderation - I've used a lot of newsgroups, mailing lists, BBS's and so forth over the last 15 years, and there's no more clarity on this issue now than at any time. Some of my favourite media have been unmoderated lists, but there's a certain amount of flame and nonsense on all of them - you eventually learn to have a blindspot for the nonsense.On the other hand, when the moderation's good (which usually means subtle and used only reluctantly), as people get a feel for it, the overall quality usually goes up.i've seen lists saved by the introduction of moderation. I've seen lists destroyed by overzealous moderation, in one case I saw a much valued mailing list die in under a fortnight when it got a new moderator who decided to get personal. it's a tricky one.Flame - is never nice. Except on the end of 2 feet of chain, of course smile. But it happens. People misread stuff and respond while the blood's still rushing. People have a bad day and lash out. People have different backgrounds and approaches to life and write accordingly. But when the rain falls, I just put on a coat and grab an umbrella. Rain falls. Flames happen. Nicer if they don't, but eventually even in the Sahara the rain falls.Seems like an FAQ (and regularly posted pointers to it) is getting to be an urgent item, so it's good to see it's happening. But also bear in mind that (on New Moves) at least, while "how do you do a 5-beat weave" is an FAQ, something like "when I try to do a 5-beat weave, and I get tangled on beat 4, I think I might have got something wrong, should my right wrist be facing up, down or left" probably isn't, and it would be a shame if that sort of help wasn't forthcoming. A lot of people would probably ignore the thread, but if one person reads it and provides a useful answer, then the world's a richer place.post too long already, time for lunch.It's a good bbs, we're all doing pretty well. let's keep working t keep things nice.mikeyB

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Thinks mikeyb summed it all up very well. smileI think the only way that we could judge how experienced someone is, is by the insight in their posts. Possibly giving each member 1pt for every message they post, and allow them to give these points away. We each give our own earned points to the people that we feel provided insightful information. In the end, the most experienced people that participate the most will have the highest number of points.Just a thought.. smile------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
CRD, that sounds a little too complicated to me.... OK, maybe the idea of seperating the board between experienced and newbie users wasn't such a good idea. I like Diana's: spliting it in a practical "how to" section and an "insight" section that would have the more artistic, spiritual and philosophical discussions.nomad

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my oh my some things will never change. ubblol

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
PK would I be right in thinking you have a little bit too much time on your hands today hun? If so I have some tiling that needs finishing biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well im meant to bestudying but sere interupted that, but now shes gone on a driving lesson... and i have work soon too.

just enojoying some oldmemories!... i know some otheres will enjoy!

thanks for noticing my boredom by the way, i feel me quite loved.

and what would madam like to be finished???

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
My Bathroom wall is part tiled. I started but stopped for a tea break and kind of never went back to it..... bad bad me!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
why dont you ask DubAllStar?? ... he is a skilled craftsman.... just look at the photo in his gallery!.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol He's too cute to let work on my house. I would get in his way a lot! biggrin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lmao hahahahah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Doesn't Dub have an imaginary girlfriend?

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hahaha. Classic old thread. I was wondering how long I'd been a mod for... and yeah - some things never change, eh pk? smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: