Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the support , it's always cool to hear how people were having the exact same issues but were eventually able to overcome them. It looks like a really fun trick once you've got it down!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, it is a beginning. Once you learn a couple things, everything else gets easier.

That is, once you have the basics, which I consider to be turns, butterfly, 3bt both ways, you are able to use them to build on each other and do much harder things easily.

Maybe weaves are more advanced than people think? I tend to teach turns and reels first.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Yeah I finally did figure out the 3bt both forwards and reverse. Now I'm watching Derek's vids here on the 3bt turn and the fountain. Other than I'm working out the btb butterfly. If I wasn't in a low ceiling area, I've been craving to experiment with the windmill. But to make up for that, there's plenty of room to practice basic stalls, starting to get an okay vertical stall, working on trying to minimize the hand movement so the poi gives more of a pop effect on the upswing.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Working on just about everything split-time butterfly (mostly on turns and stalls in all the patterns I know), on cat-eyes, goofing around with pendulums and timing changes, trying to additionally warp the few hybrids I know...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Split Time butterfly staggered stalls
Antispin flower stalls (they are a B)
Polishing up on BTB crossers
BTB Butterf;y crossers.
Yup

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
BTB crossers
Antispin flower stalls (total B)
Plane changing
Poilishing CAPS
Floorplane hybrids
Monkeyjumps (whenever I make it outside)
Wallplane antispin flower with petals facing straight up-down-left-right
Apparently judging from my fire prctice, I need to relearn splittime butterfly extension turning
Attempting to figure out what Nevisoul called "Isolationhuggieovertheheadcombo" and I can't figure out how to do it
Nevisoul's "Isolation something" feels different than I thought it would
Wrapping poi shorter while spinning in various places

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ReVoWhile in the topic of flowers, I made myself a paper sheet diagram with all the possible 64 combinations of arm/poi movement, and I'm practicing on getting those down. I just recently received my Scales Of Poi, and I'm having fun with it smile .

Having a delayed reaction to this comment, and am intrigued. Since the number is 64 I'm guessing these combinations are the result of eight pairs of mutually exclusive alternatives; what are the eight toggles? (You can ignore this if it's something Nick goes over in Scales of Poi, which I've got on its way.)

EDIT: Six toggles. Der. That's what I get for doing binary maths before bed.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1263523313)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
right arm/poi forward/reverse
left arm/poi forwards/reverse
Either in split/same time.

Poi and arms are either in split- or same-time and in butterfly- (opposite) or same-direction.

So as examples: (split time butterfly poi, same direction same time arms) (same time butterfly poi, same time butterfly arms) and so on.

ShaneVincentBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I'm currently stuck on both BTB 3-beat weaves (not even considering 5-beats yet...), I can't manage to reverse the spin of my butterflies (any advice?), stuck on reverse 5-beat weave, can't do extension 3-beats because my planes suck @5s... gah! I'll keep practicing grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Regarding the butterfly reverse, you can either just stall them both at once, stall one and then the other, or do the same with wrapping.

Nick has a good tut on btb weaves. But if you say your plane control is poor, I would suggest you work on that. It will help immeasurably.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Stalling on learning several useful variations of things I already know (reverse version of that butterfly wallplane flower, for instance). Still playing with pendulums, because there's a bloody lot to do with them. Honing stalls in less practiced directions.

My new favorite baby is taking a triquetra, and at one of the petals where both poi point the same direction, carry them to the opposite side and resume, flipping the antispin upside down. I'm only good at it in one direction so far, so getting it solid and clean in the other direction, and along non-vertical axes, is what I'm working on. (For that matter, I have a lot of improvement to make in the direction switches at four of the major swap points...) This hybrid gives me way too many variations to fiddle with; it's distracting...

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
I am working on .....

nothing. my poi have taken residence in its bag, the weather is getting better and Im pulling a durbs. Its time to go climbing!!!!

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I guess climbing is the evil that lurks in the heart of every spinner, and which will consume those who are not ever watchful...

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
if We're lucky

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Doing things I can already do in reverse. Air wrap in reverse is going to be needed for good planes and it's very frustrating so far.

But anything with reverse butterfly poi motions seem to be fine

MrOsmoseGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Trying moves in the back, & throws with left hands...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitDoing things I can already do in reverse. Air wrap in reverse is going to be needed for good planes and it's very frustrating so far.

But anything with reverse butterfly poi motions seem to be fine

Reverse air wraps are something I struggled with for weeks. I still mess them up a lot. What sort oh helped for me is pushing the downswinging poi out a little, and pulling in the upswing. Dunno if that helps anyone else, though.

I'm having a similarly tough time with reverse hyperloops right now, esp entering from my left side.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I find reverse hyperloops to be consistent from both sides, but it's still nowhere near as easy as forwards left side.

I'm working on a CAPs move that's like reversing a triquetra at the bttom, but I bring them to a wheelplane for the reverse.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Currently the priority list consists of...

5 beat weave
hyperloops
regular flowers (not in wall plane)
reverse thread the needle
butterfly weave
spinning during modern dance coreography (including many ballet movements along with barrel rolls, and other leg extensions and leaps)

Then it's considering making a staff thread like this that doesn exist that I would add:

Arm/Hand weave perfecting
Horizontal Halo Rolls (continuous ones)
Conveyor Belt
The Steve
Transitions and Turns

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Spiral wraps
Btb 3 beat weave, somewhat frustrating with repeated leg hits!
Messing around with flowers, really wishing I had some LED poi or fire picks so I could see what I'm doing...
Windmill
Yep, pretty basic stuff I guess

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah my LED Balls are nice to look at if you know what i mean wink

I found it easier to start with a btb 2bt weave and kind of do 3bt after barely being able to hold your 2bt and just learning both from there. And you will be hitting your legs for a long time to come.

FireJinnBRONZE Member
Sage of many fires
22 posts

Posted:
BTB Butterfly weave. In-spin wall plane fountain. Pro/Antispin flowers. Meltdowns and crossers too.
EDITED_BY: FireJinn (1264625930)

Mark

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ah meltdowns are so great grin I couldn't spin around in circles without them because I love to move around so much wink

I am working on doing things in different directions still, making progress on reverse air wrap and it's fixing my planes so reverse just feels more natural now grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Meltdowns are great for turning, and crossers are also good for getting the feel of reaching across your body.

SoD has got me back on those air wraps, since I found I stopped practicing them too soon and they suck again tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
lol, they're still not good, but my planes in that direction has gotten way better.

And Crossers are an invaluable skill to learn too wink

I also learned making like a hybrid flower with crosser extention with the poi in butterfly motion grin

death hunterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
how do you do a flower? (i feel really stupid asking)

Just because people who do the right thing because it is the right thing are hard to come by doesn’t mean we don’t exist

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: death hunterhow do you do a flower? (i feel really stupid asking)
There are people out there who can explain it much better than I (go see Derek's videos in the Learn section!) but in a nutshell you swing the poi in one direction but you move your arm the opposite direction. So if you swing forwards, move your arm backwards and vice versa. It takes practice and there's more than a few variations on it but that's a start. Hope that helps somewhat!

death hunterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
thank you very much

Just because people who do the right thing because it is the right thing are hard to come by doesn’t mean we don’t exist

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
No problem! Derek's vids are good, also try checking out playpoi.com, they have an excellent video section and between those sources you can get a lot of helpful information! The forums here are helpful for information, or at least somebody to sympathize with your learning frustrations but poi is a skill you learn by doing and f---ing up a lot so having something visual to look at is really the best if there is nobody to actually show you tricks.

2,280 posts

Posted:
That's just the antispin, that takes a while to get. I found these ones to be great:

And this one helps a lot with the timing:

Edit: been working a lot on all my stalls lately, definitely making progress in making then nice solid stalls grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1264826713)

Page: ......