MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
8.8M earthquae hit Chile last night.

Any HoPers affected? We have a tsunami advisory here in CA, although they just say to stay off the beaches today.

Thoughts and hopes to all who are affected.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'e been disappointed in the lack of information about the tsunami warning in Vanuatu...makes me stress! Especially when I've not had much luck contacting my village lately!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
communication might be difficult - which doesn't mean anything major happened there... hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
soooooooo...........

anyone donating?

heh heh heh

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
It's all good and wonderful cos I had a chat with my Ni-Van mum and dad tonight grin

They were both stoned (especially Dad) so it was a pretty funny call!

But they're all good, as I trusted that they would be once everything passed. The media ignores those poor little countries when it comes to warning time, but I'm sure that if something drastic actually happened then I would have heard about it. [insert Haiti reference here wink ]

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
according to NASA the quake has changed the axis of earth by a few cm's and thus shortened the day hours (as did the "tsunami-quake" in 2004) - not measurably, only by calculation wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
but on a more serious note, the people are not getting supplies fast enough... frown

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All in all, the outcome of this quake was a blessing of fortune. A few hundred dead, while never a good thing, is pretty remarkable for one of the most powerful quakes in recorded history. Had this same quake happened at a shallower depth right under Santiago, the outcome would have been very different.

The tsunamis were underwhelming. They were no more than 30cm, hardly bigger than a regular wave. An 8.8 earthquake releases a *huge* amount of energy (well, enough to change the axis of the earth by a bit). We really dodged a big bullet here.

Yes, supplies could get there faster. A lot of people lost their homes and businesses. Many lost their lives. But when compared the the complete devastation of Haiti, this was pretty good by comparison.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
and another one in Taiwan yesterday 6. something on the richter scale, the Earth (or the news)has gone quake crazy.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - seems to be a trend. Meanwhile Chile is getting aftershocks up to 6.1