noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
After watching this video:

Poi by Yuta & Ronan

I was determined to make a pair of poi similar. I purchased some 80mm contact balls, some 8mm rope, and I emailed Ronan. Ronan told me he drilled a hole in one side and made a slit in the other side of the ball. The rope was threaded through and a knot was pulled into the ball via the slit. He also told me of other people drilling a larger hole and simply pushing a knot through.

I decided to drill a hole the same size as the rope in the balls. I then made 4 small slits around the hole making an X. I tied a knot in the rope and pushed it through. Then using epoxy and some superglue, I resealed the ball. I used a knot for the handle in the rope, but am looking for an alternative.

I love this poi. It's very nice for throws, looks clean, and I had fun with the DIY project.

91729DSC0125691729DSC01258

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
That's actually really freaking awesome, and I've seen Ronan with Nick Woolsey. Their pois are magnificawesome. Credits to Ronan, Yuta and you for spreading the idea!

This statement is false...?

dannyflowGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
hey how about these as a handle just get the rope through and tie a small knot.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/PX3-Knob

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I have been toying with the idea of contact balls for poi. I love the ronan stuff, it's awesome, however I myself am not so much into the contact side of it, so the video that inspires me to get these poi (can't provide links atm) is some guy spinning contact balls with quite fine rops, so it just looked like 2 balls magically orbing around his body, which for normal daytime spinning looks just as trippy as light and fire does at night, so will (although shouldn't be) investing in some of these tomorrow grin

Last poi purchase this year (other than additional flowlights :P)
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1258429360)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
is there much of a difference between rope and colecord for these? I've been using conact poi for about a year now but I've always used colecord just because I've got loads of the stuff and you can fit swivels into the design, I sometimes wonder though if ropes make for more stable float throws?

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, I hadn't considered using contact balls with difficult-to-see cords. That would be pretty rad. Hello poi pair #18! tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
You can try colecord, but personally I think it would be near invisible.

It's a matter of preference though, but I think medium size (6mm) rope should be best

336 posts

Posted:
yeah, I've been using colecord for ages but I was just wondering if the rigidity of a thicker rope might help it stay straight in a float throw or if it's all in the throw, regardless of the cord used:/ ?

336 posts

Posted:
just finished messing about with designs and...

Non-Https Image Link

float throws are much better with the thicker cord and I havn't had to sacrifice my swivels smile

BRETTleestranger
1 post

Posted:
nice.............

for and