Forums > Technical Discussion > Cone poi with LEDs, Good or Bad?

Login/Join to Participate

Adrian_ChungSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi all!

I've been wondering (before i make this purchase) whether or not the Pro Series Multi-Function LED works as well inside of the Cone poi as it does on a chain, and i mean that as in, is it still bright?

My second question is whether or not the colour of the sock poi will affect the LED shining through it much. I would buy the white cone poi and use the LED's except since only half of a day is dark (sometimes less) i'll be practicing in the day a lot and i'm not sure if white looks very nice. I'm also assuming that when it gets dirty it stand out a lot too.

I would very much appreciate any and all replies! smile

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
It would depend on what the cone poi was made off: my first led toys were juggling balls with no tether point. They came in white lycra socks which I wasn't happy with because of the stretch. I made myself some cone poi using a white nylon mesh, which worked very well.

The nylon is tougher than you might expect but being gauze it's still a bit flimsy, so not saleable but I got enough gauze for about 20 poi for $5 so I'm happy enough replacing them fairly often.

If you mean HOP cone poi, those are fairly heavy fabric and IMO would probably dim the light.

I have also seen reports of people using stockings if you don't sew - again watch them for wear and replace as needed.

hth

Adrian_ChungSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Ah i should have mentioned, yes i was referring to the HoP Cone poi.

I'll look into making my own sock/cone poi though, thanks!

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
Get the white cone poi, the colour permeating from the LED source won't have a weird tint from the fabric that way.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Also depends on the LEDs. I've seen flowlights show up remarkably well inside a pair of ordinary white socks. I imagine something of comparable brightness inside white cone poi would be perfectly visible.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Afterthought: the led balls may not fit inside the HOP cone poi anyway, unless HOP have changed their pattern in the last year or so:

I have a pair of the cone poi on swivels (operated on the handles to make them less clunky), the cone is too narrow to take a tenis ball, much less an LED ball. Which is fine for practice - rice is much softer - but would stuff things up for Adrian's purpose.

Ask support before you buy them...