Forums > Social Chat > 28 Days Later (I am never sleeping again!)

Login/Join to Participate

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I just got back from seeing 28 Days Later...good god, that was the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life! I was literally shaking when the film was over, and it's hard to get a reaction out of me~!

That said, I thouroghly enjoyed it...finally, a horror movie with some thought behind it. It raises some interesting issues, and there's some meaningful symbolism, though I can't say I've worked it all out at the point. Some of it I've an idea about, e.g.(spoiler) I'd say there was something with the blood and the dresses, the only the two uses of red in the whole film. (/s) And it was so nice to see well-developed, complex characters who acted like real people...such a refreshing change!

Plus it was *$#%ing scary!

The fights were well shot, I thought. For as gory as they were, not much was explicitly shown. I found there were a lot of abstract, blurry shots with some final, suggestive images, leaving the details to your imagination, where they'd be far worse. (e.g. (spoiler) The blood on the wall when Mark is killed, the blood on the table near the end of the film. (/s) )

I'm rambling...must take some time to take it all in...in the meantime, what did everyone else think?

And remember to use spoiler notices so not to ruin this for anyone else! (It's just that good!)

yashyamember
25 posts

Posted:
rigt i dont get this... i saw 28days later way back in november after the foos gig in manchester so... is it on re-release or something... or have you seen it on dvd or veedyo or something like that... i could be being humgover and dense... actually i probably am

... learn to swim ...

884 posts

Posted:
I guess it was just released over here. I guess it was released locally first...makes sense...

I hope I'm not posting a redundant topic in that case.

edit: because I can't speel.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i did all the promotion for it here so i have a few 28days matches and cd's with clips and would like to ge see but never got round to it

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

hollymember
61 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with u paddy. i came out of the cinema after seeing this and thought it was just such an incredible, scary, well made film...it really struck a chord with me and i spent hours afterwards just going 'oh my god i am so terrified'. i came out at the time swearing it was one of the best films i have seen in a while. its wierd i havnt thought about that film ina while and i was talking to someone about it last night. they felt the same way. i think because it was a horror movie that 1) actually was scary and 2) was not cheesy. might rent it out tonight although im all alone in the house......ooooo...

Never doubt that a small group of crusties, activists, and politicos can change the world... in fact, it's the only thing that ever does ;-)

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I'm afraid I can't agree. The film was ok but it wasn't the least bit scary.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Gives paddy a big bear hug to kiss the fears away

I am intrigued and have no idea what you are talking about

can somebody give us the big lines of the story /

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
28 days later is one of my favourite british films of recent years, on a par with dog soldiers. Both films are horror, but they have a lot of light humour in them (by the end of dog soldiers me and my mates were laughing hysterically in the cinema) and if you want some really scarey films, i'll give you a list

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
twas indeed very good.

the alternate endings were ABYSMAL!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
I am intrigued and have no idea what you are talking about

can somebody give us the big lines of the story /

shine on
cass

28 Days Later
After a virus wipes out most of the planet, a handful of survivors try to save the human race from extinction.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

884 posts

Posted:
But don't read the reviews on that site! Some people know what they're talking about, but 90% don't. I read a few bad reviews and was beginning to wonder if I'd been mistaken about how good the movie was...then I saw one person who'd said that Resident Evil was a better film.

So take 'em with a grain of salt, and don't let 'em put you off seeing it.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ooooh look...a convenient way to get my 1999th post.

Whirlymember
47 posts

Posted:
lol @ jon
its a cracking film, love it, everyone should c it.
u guys seen the animatrix yet?
that really good too.

They call 'em fingers, but i aint never seen 'em fing!Otto man

Latexmember
55 posts

Posted:
I went and saw 28 Days Later last night.

The cinematography was great, but the storyline was too predictable and lacking in content.

I would best describe it as Resident Evil mixed with every B-grade zombie movie ever made.

My wife, however, did not sleep last night.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
why not?

where was she?

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I too came out of the cinema going "fuuuuuuuuuu*k" after watching 28 Days Later. It was brilliant. Raised lots of questions about the Human condition that I really enjoyed amd frankly it scared the hell outta me.

Oddly enough I went and bought the DVD yesterday - raaaaah - gonna watch it tonight I reckon!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
no your not...

you me deari are coming along to the town of spit. aka spitz.

or the fields of phlegm.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah! Tomorrow night it is then.

spikeyrichBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
looks like it was only me that found 28 days later a bit of a flop! I liked the idea behind the film and it did have its moments (once or twice) but on the whole I found the whole film a bit flat and didnt really grab me. As for the idea that a virus wipes out the whole world, its been done before(and much better) in 12 monkeys. obviously im compairing a hollywood blockbuster with a cheapo brit flick so its not really fair but what the hell! i didnt watch it as a horror film because there were far too many laffs, its more like a comedy with a few grusome bits!
dont get me wrong, its not a bad little film & when you think of it as a british film its even better(mainly cos most "british" films have a budget of £3.87)
would recommend it if you wanna laff!

as you think so you are, as you imagine so you become.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Well, I went into that film knowing nothing at all about it, which probably helped, as I had no expectations of it.

Personally the fact it was on such a tight budget is one of the things I loved about it - the cinematography did most of the scaring (jerky movement from the extras and some good cheap make-up effects). And not having a clue who any of the actors were was cool too.

[SPOILER] Apparently the London scenes at the beginning were filmed about 5am on a Sunday, urely by asking people not to get into shot! Hehehe wicked. [/SPOILER]

Definitely worth a look, I reckon.

884 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I think that was what made it good for me too...going in, I thought it was about some guy who wakes up to find himself *completely* alone, and that it was about his struggle to find a way of life in the new world. Like Cast Away, I guess.

(spoiler) Then, we walked into the church and the infected preist burst out of the door...I then realized it wasn't going to be that kind of movie! (/spoiler)

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I thought it was an ok film, good in places, made me jump a bit.

Alex Garland wrote it (same guy who wrote the beach) and because i studied the beach for english coursework, i saw soooooo many similarities between both story lines (if anyones read the beach, they would see them to). So for me it was quite predictable and a bit dull in places but still ok.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.