Forums > Videos > Home Alone performing video (3-D/Plane Bending poi)

Login/Join to Participate

IanMichaelSmithGOLD Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
Two unedited videos I shot and uploaded last night at the Vulcan in Oakland, CA.

There are some good example of the plane bending/3-D spinning I've been obsessing over the last few years. I've began an attempt to write an explanation of my theories on all that, I hope to have it done with an accompanying video in like a month or so.

Enjoy

Home Alone performing with Poi

Home Alone performing with Staff

EDITED_BY: IanMichaelSmith (1265224294)

FlambalOlekstranger
14 posts

Posted:
i saw the staf vid - i like your stile!!! very creativ movements combined with your dancing

great!!!

Enjoy :-) Flambal Olek Feuershow

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, who would you consider your poi influences? I've only seen a couple of people spin with that slow, slack, almost draped style. It's very distinctive, and I'm wondering if there's a common influence (whether via a particular performer or a specific region or something).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
It's lazy (or drunken) poi style, just get a little bit out of the plane and circle mentality and stop putting force on the poi all the time; switching timing, direction, and plane constantly by letting them slack and pendulum at specific points so they don't crash with each other. Think of it as rather than moving your poi around your body you're trying to move your body around your poi. Saying this, I've never actually encountered anybody else trying this kind of motion.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think Burning Dan is quite similar... there are a few videos floating about... I think you guys would enjoy spinning together smile
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1264939709)

Getting to the other side smile

stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I hate to say this, but I don't know that the plane bending was influenced by anyone... The guy who first taught me to do the 3-bt weave did spin most of the time on an angle and playing with that was one of the things that triggered this investigation. I have spun with Burning Dan he has some things going on similar to me, but I don't think I'd call him in influence.

Can you name the other people who you have seen spin like that, I haven't seen anyone that I haven't directly taught (except for Burning Dan)

stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I've learned so much spinning like this. With some of these moves I can look at it in the perspective of any of the four timings and directions, constantly switching between the concepts to keep my bearings and not hitting. Seeing things like that I get glimpses of how the timings and directions fit into each other, are part of a spectrum instead of four mutually exclusive concepts.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
There's a guy here in Seattle named Ahssan (I may be wrong about the number of S's) who was the first I saw spin like that. I have only otherwise seen it in videos, though come to think of it I can't guarantee they weren't yours tongue2

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
poi boy sometimes has a very slow calm style going on at the start of his routines, then again he switches to fast spinning for the majority.

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
I'm really digging it,
it's like trompe l'oeil with poi as the medium.
You ought to make some tutorials on this deliciousness!
Your fire and staff videos are awesome!

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

stranger
16 posts

Posted:
Thanks...
I've been meaning to try to write out something of length on my plane bending/3-D theory and post it. I posted something like it two years ago, but got almost no reply, which was kind of discourging:
[Old link]

I'm kind of excited to write it again with another two years of thinking about it. I've recently come to a break through. I still need to go through HOP and find what has been theorized before. I have chastised myself often about not keeping up with the theory happening on HOP, just haven't found the time.

Does anyone know of theories that deal with 3-D / 4-D spinning or someone trying to fit all the timing/directions together?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I like watching lazy poi technique, but I have to say I've not been sure of why I would want to learn it. I don't mean that to sound discouraging; I do intend it in the spirit of constructive criticism. I think for my own part I'd like to see an extended discussion of the theory prefaced with what kinds of spinning opportunities it offers or what kinds of puzzles it addresses. Reading over your older post I think that's part of why I don't have much response to it--I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the body of the text or how it relates to my own practice. (The positive side of this is the only problems I seem to be noting are on the level of exposition and not content.)

I look forward to hearing more!