Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Since I'm the kind of person who has a much easier time with her poi when she has a way to think about them, are there any resources out there on how to think about turns generally (or can you make me some in the form of comments :p)? I've got the usual beginner turns, and I can turn in things like crossers, meltdowns, and flowers, but it seems like my ways of handling turning break down pretty easily in weird places (anything involving one or both poi near my head, turning in 2bt weaves keeping the same hand on top, almost anything involving a continuous turn for more than pi radians, and more).

Any help is appreciated. It sucks pretty much always having to break my flow by transitioning into a weave or meltdown when I want to turn.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I have the same problem with flowers.

I can't really explain other ones, I can just kinda only do it smirk

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
I use to be the same way.. Really the best thing to do is to grab one poi. And where ever you are having difficulties turning then start there. So your head you said? Stand in front a mirror(if you have one, it truly helps) now put the poi in front of your face and spin it around. Now if you were spinning clockwise and wanted to spin to the right Pi rad. When the poi reaches the bottom of its arc you would turn around while keeping your hand in front of your face and carrying the poi over. from 4Pi/3 to Pi/2(assuming 0 is right pi/2 is top pi is left, ect ect) you should complete your one Pi rad spin, thus facing the opposite direction when the poi is at Pi/2

STOP!

Now think....

the poi should appear to be spinning in the opposite direction(when in fact it is only opposite from your view, its still the same direction for the audience) Since now the poi is spinning counterclockwise you have to get use to spinning the poi a different way(Kind of like how behind the back, behind the head moves work... you just have to get use to the "feel" of the poi in these locations)

So lets began. You are now spinning clockwise facing opposite of your original directions(relative to you at least). Now we will start our turn again at 4Pi/3. We go through the same process we carry the poi up and behind us as we fully complete our Pi rotation as the poi reaches Pi/2.

STOP!

Now think....

Honestly I found this was the easiest way to learn "continuous" rotations. Start by spinning then turn 180 and think about what happened while spinning the poi say 4 rotations. now turn again. do this over and over until you have been able to get rid of the extra rotations after the first 180. Practice this with both hands and both directions and also instead of starting from turning from 4pi/3 -> pi/2 practice turning from pi/2 -> 4pi/3.

After you get one direction and timing down with both hands try to practice them both together. Because when it comes to turns all you really can do to learn is practice practice and practice some more. You'll just get them with time.

Hope I wasn't to incoherent =)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
That's awesome advice. That's definitely gonna help me with my flowers grin

Especially since the weather will be getting warmer soon, and should be getting in the 30's (Fahrenheit) I was out today and it was about 20 and in a t-shirt and I was fine for about 15 minutes and my hands froze.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Grok. Assuming you mean 3pi/2 and not 4pi/3, at least (for the pointing straight down position). I'm also noticing how relative position and timing affects turns in weird ways, but I think I'll try and work more of that out myself...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
oops my bad. Yes I meant 3pi/2... Dont know how i didnt catch that one.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
i found that going through all the arm motions without using your poi for flowers and visualising the poi moving in your mind can help for flowers. For general spinning and play i found whirling till your dizzy with simple moves in both same direction and opposites really helps, just focus on trying to stay on plane and keep turning, subconsiously you develop an instinct for which way the poi should be spinning as you turn from any move

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
the trick to turning around with the poi being in ANY position is cross points. No matter what sort of complicated pattern the poi is in, all turning is ultimately the same.

A lot of poi is already some sequence or another of crossing your poi from one side of your body to the other. This is true of weaves, meltdowns, reels, waist wraps, windmills, et cetera. Even IF you are in a move like a flower that doesn't inherently cross an axis (same thing as cross points), try stopping at some random point, cross both you poi to the other side of your body, unwind your body so that you can continue in the same pattern you started in, then resume spinning. Do that with any position/move and continue crossing in the same direction to go around in a full 360 degrees or beyond.

In Nick Woolsy's behind the back tutorial he does this exercise where he tells you to leave the poi spinning in one spacial position as you twist your body around (I found that doing quarter turns there are 7 steps i can twist within my range of motion). To me that is all you need to turn around. Cross the poi and turn your body at the same time.