or better "it's my thread and I can delete it if I want to".... wink

another one bites the dust wink

R.I.P Haiti? thread

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshWhat about incest, patricide/matricide, pedophillia, pros and cons of rape? You know, the last taboos. Can these really be debated openly and still remain PG?

I'd like to get to know what others still find taboo.

mmm - I'm not sure whether the things you mentioned are particularly debate-able, eg I dont know if you can honestly make a logical argument with some kind of evidence backing up a pro-rape stance. I mean you could go on some kind of misogynistic tirade - but it wouldn't count as a debate I don't think. Such a tirade would probably not fit within the guidelines. However if you wanted to discuss a particular case that might have appeared in the local news (We have had a contentious example in my city at the moment) then that would probably be ok, as long as it wasn't unnecessarily graphic.

I guess you could try to raise a pro-paedophilia argument, but again, I don't know how you could honestly argue it?

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
FireTom, EoN - if you have a problem with someone or something, notify the mods. It can't help to dredge up and discuss your interpretation of comments now unavailable that were about another board member anyhow.

--

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Josh - usually people well know what they've said in which context and usually people well do know how they feel about each other.

I had no reason to notify a mod every time I see someone bullying another - but if that is what you suggest, I will.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshWhat about incest, patricide/matricide, pedophillia, pros and cons of rape? You know, the last taboos. Can these really be debated openly and still remain PG?

I'd like to get to know what others still find taboo.

Methinks you don't understand what the PG format is all about. It's not related to subject matter, it's about not swearing and not getting graphic when talking about sex and body parts. It's simple really. Any topic can be debated here and if you think you can take a pro incest, patricide/matricide, pedophillia, pro rape stance. give it a go.

For instance would you need to describe pedophile sex acts to make your point ?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm really trying to work out if you're a troll...

Especially given your signature.

With all respect, you're still a newbie here, you've only been here 3 months and yet seem to think you're the voice of the boards. Where are all these people wanting "Mature" section?

Or is it just so you can insult members with relative impunity?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
TJF~

I think that you've mistaken HoP for your playground. It's not.
If you would like verbal sparring partners, please find them elsewhere. There are many boards that welcome it and I am sure you would find more amusement in them.

We have rules, which you agreed to upon registering. I suggest you reacquaint yourself with them.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/rules.php

Your input is welcome here.
Your attitude is not.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
tongue2

https://forum.baby-gaga.com/about687731.html

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
well put, Pele... clap

TJF shocked

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It’s time to put a dampener on this thread.

I know all too well how easy it is to kill a discussion with excess passion and vitriol. Confusing an emotional response for a valid discussion and acting hostile gets us all nowhere. If you start attacking people and become defensive all you’re doing is closing yourself to the discussion and preventing other people from communicating with you and all objectivity required for a discussion disappears. The truly educational discussions aren't those with insults, attacks and impudence.

Simply put: Stop arguing, start talking.

Coming onto this forum is like being invited into somebody’s house, so act that way. Regardless of what happens on other forums and the roles you play in them, this forum works to its own rules and spirit. So treat the forum and its fellow contributors with the respect deserved.

There are topics we wouldn’t want discussed here and there are attitudes we do not feel contribute positively to this community. That’s the way it is and us mods are here to keep the peace as best we can. Why isn't there a mature, no-holds barred section where you can discuss taboos? Simply because we don't want it here in our community.

Simply put: We want everyone to feel welcome and play nice

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
wow, does that make it ALL mods in one page? all talking mod type stuff. ANd the topic isnt banned yet?

well done TJF, nice troll. very crude and blunt but good work

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I can't begin to calculate the amount of popcorn I've eaten since watching this thread! tongue2

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandApplewow, does that make it ALL mods in one page? all talking mod type stuff. ANd the topic isnt banned yet?

well done TJF, nice troll. very crude and blunt but good work

Nah all the mods/admins aren't represented yet smile

--

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nope. We're missing Flash Fire and Charles. Want I should get them wink lol

Brenon, what, and you didn't share? Shame on you! grin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
I think he brought it over from Rougie's thread. There's lots of it over there at least tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Oi! how did Brenonfire get into my popcorn stash! I haven't seen him in my thread! oooh, now I'm really mad!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Sorry RD, didn't mean to step on anybody's toes! tongue2
I have said nothing of squirrels though!
There is popcorn aplenty, but I put hot sauce on it.
I'm actually a somewhat likable person once you get over the fact I'm a complete a**hole!
EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1264756604)

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
wow eek i didn't even see the original thread but this is intriguing!

also...can i just mention one teeny little thing that people seem to have forgotten?

THIS IS A FIRE TWIRLING COMMUNITY! weavesmiley we're all here cos we love playing with fire & want to talk with other like minded people! grouphug

yes, serious stuff gets discussed sometimes, but holy crap it seems to have gotten out of hand in this case!

now, can we all please share that popcorn (ewwwwww...hot sauce?! laugh3 ) & in the words of a cute lil powerpuff girl...play NICE! grin

*runs away with the new batch of hot butter popcorn laughing maniacally*

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok a couple of things:

First, I don’t think people should go back and change their original posts, as this changes the meaning of the post, and all subsequent replies. This is a mandatory agreement on many sites, for example - “do not edit your post after it has already been responded to”.

As to what happened?

It’s pretty simple really.

The thread started out as one asking support for the poor unfortunate people of Hati, who had just experienced one of the worst earthquakes in history. Then it turned from a plea for compassion, into a justification for selfishness. In the process, the original intent of the thread was completely destroyed. So, it’s no wonder the thread got deleted.

twocents

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Welcome back Stone wave

well here I disagree on both accounts.

As the title of this thread indicates:

- a thread seems to be the party of its creator. wink

In case I don't like the way the party is run, could I go back to the OP and abort the entire thread by deleting the OP? If the answer is "yes" (and as such not intended from the admin) it should/could be changed.

- an OP can (and in cases even 'should') be updated, as well as posts that were already responded to.

why like this? Because: maybe I didn't choose an inappropriate wording for the OP, chose the wrong title or the topic as such had already been touched but not in another context, because my later comment has been poorly worded, been off topic, included a personalized attack or offense ..... etc.

imo it's perfectly legal to edit a post (and I (thankfully) even recall that you once asked me to reconsider (and change) one).

- the Haiti thread (as I recall) started with: "guys, something terrible happened there and I donated a piece of my cake, did you also donate?", after which others said "no - and I wouldn't, because of...." (I for my part recall having said: "and even if I would have, I wouldn't post it here and if being directly asked I would lie about it, because it might prompt you to donate (more)." Other people had different reasons - and I found it perfectly within HoP posting guidelines to elaborate why.)

Threads often move away from the original intent because a topic needs to be looked at from various angles. that's perfectly alright imo.

- if THAT has been causing its deletion - imnsho - it's the wrong motif and would rightfully deserve some spank or at least smearing vegemite all over the responsible person... wink

However: from there two threads stem. - (international) and - domestic aid... that's a good thing (imo) though the title of the former would include the latter.

"Selfishness" (again imo) is not as much 'a blemish of one's own character' but 'a sign of undeveloped capacities'. To discuss their origin is perfectly valid (and even necessary).

I would invite you to participate hug

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom
As the title of this thread indicates:

- a thread seems to be the party of its creator.

Quick point, the party's taking in place in a semi-private venue which has certain house rules wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Tom, thanks for the welcome blush

You disagree with me on both counts?

Well, I never would have believed that .lol. wink

We all have our opinions, and you make some good points.

Thanks for the invitation. I have new staff, got it from me mate Rick, so the plan is for more practice and less posting smile

Cheers hug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
you also make some good points, Stone... wink

enjoy the contact... hug

Page: