or better "it's my thread and I can delete it if I want to".... wink

another one bites the dust wink

R.I.P Haiti? thread

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
first of, I cant even work out how to delete a post, how do you delete a thread?

second deleting threads is wrong. THere was nothing derogoratory nothing offensive, deleting things you dont like defeats the whole idea of a 'community forum'

I would like more of a justification of why peoples thoughts and opinions where erased.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
only people who can delete/lock/move threads are mods like Durbs etc (the people with green names)

Though why the contents of a shorter, duplicate thread would be moved to a thread that was promptly deleted I don't know. Given that Durbs has, as far as I've noticed, only locked stuff that was far more of a trainwreck before... seems odd to me

Forum glitch perhaps?

Just a dancer in the dark

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandApplefirst of, I cant even work out how to delete a post, how do you delete a thread?

second deleting threads is wrong. THere was nothing derogoratory nothing offensive, deleting things you dont like defeats the whole idea of a 'community forum'

I would like more of a justification of why peoples thoughts and opinions where erased.

I couldn't agree with you more. QFT

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
if a thread goes "off" and ppl start bashing each other, mods do come in and pacify the situation. moderation on this forum usually is very good - and the community excellent.

if a thread goes as far that it is regarded pointless to continue, it is getting locked and oblivious over a certain time...

The Haiti thread in Chat seemed to have been started by a spammer (or worse) so it got "moved" (into the virus vault). I didn't like the way the Haiti thread in SD was evolving but it has been reflecting ppls opinions...

I side that the deletion of entire threads only because one particular person doesn't like the way it turned out is... questionable.

Doc? Guess it's your turn to put out an answer...

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomif a thread goes "off" and ppl start bashing each other, mods do come in and pacify the situation.
If it is the case that a mod came in and deleted the thread, that is not pacifying anything. That is wielding the hammer of power in excess.

But still; waiting to find out what happened.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
WA: I wouldn't think that a mod deleted the thread...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I think it was a good call. It was about to get into some serious flaming.

That being said, perhaps offensive posts should have been deleted as they appeared, rather than just axing the whole thread...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

787 posts

Posted:
Did something horridly offensive happen after I went to bed, I woke up and the thread was gone? I wouldn't call anything that I saw "flaming" because a contradictory opinion is not flaming. no

I don't see why everyone has to agree or else, the mature thing is agreeing to disagree, but I don't feel that we're allowed that here so much or the social pressure is too great for me to express my opinions (that I tone down a great deal for this forum) and it still tends to be misinterpreted or taken out of context. shrug twocents

I'm glad I got to debate with Woodland Apple and some understanding about our different experiences and perceptions was coming about. That is building understanding and community. hug

Not everything is roses and flowers from beginning to end, nor is everything atrocious that a seeming majority disagrees with, but it takes time and communication to work those things out and I'd love to have that opportunity especially on this international forum with people of a common hobby and interest. I think it's healthy and a greatly needed thing in the world to be real, speak with truth and integrity, and work stuff out. meditate

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogI think it was a good call. It was about to get into some serious flaming.

That being said, perhaps offensive posts should have been deleted as they appeared, rather than just axing the whole thread...

as one of the main posters on the thread, I can say that it wasnt going to turn into serious flaming, not from mine and EoN conversation anyway.

I had the intention of going back and deleting my posts that was the result of miscomunication and lag issues however that option doesnt seem to be available despite that ability being included in the forum guidelines.

Im only really typing this to keep the topic open so it is easier to be found by the mods, or others who might be able to solve the mystery of the disappering thread.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mods only lock - never delete - a thread... and also I've never heard of offensive posts being deleted by mods either.

The only one able to delete a thread is the Original Poster... the "thread creator" so to speak. By deleting his initial post, the entire thread will vanish...

So your questions - or pitchforking - will have to be addressed to Doc Lightning...

that is my guess only - you would have to call a mod in this one for confirmation.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Ive worked out how to delete posts!!! one question from this topic now answered!

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomMods only lock - never delete - a thread... and also I've never heard of offensive posts being deleted by mods either.

Um. They totally delete threads dude. And I've seen offensive posts deleted as well.

But then, I'm a bit of an oldfag around here these days wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
really? so that's a new one to me.. smile

so far I only saw locked threads or the message that "this thread has been moved" (into oblivion)... shrug

If posts are offensive or rated other than PG it might be useful to delete them. I got no problem with that.

If Doc decided that the Haiti thread was not what he liked to happen then it is within his range of possibilities to delete it, as he got the power to do so.

Whether or not that has been a decision I support is another question... wink

10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom the message that "this thread has been moved" (into oblivion)... shrug

Yep. Thats a deleted thread. Although I suspect its not actually deleted. Just moved to the Mod forum for review etc.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I seem to remember something about asking for money/charity on the board being against the rules?

or am I making stuff up?

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Word.

Some clarification...

We (Mods) rarely delete threads. The only ones I've ever deleted were ones started by spam bots as these just take up space.
Genearlly "deleted" threads are moved into a "Recycle Bin" where they stay and can be revived if there's enough call for it.

As far as I can tell, the "Haiti Eathquake Relief Dontation??" thread was put there as it was started by a spam-bot, we had a couple of notifications about it so it got pulled.

The original Haiti discussion thread was being monitored due to rising tempertatures, though it was then actually deleted accidentally (not by me...) and is currently in cyber-purgatory where it shall remain unless someone figures out how to un-delete it and everyone agrees to discuss things as opposed to bitch about each other wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
some mod pushed some red button "accidentally"? or is that button not marked red?

And since when are we getting forced to discuss things without bitching about each other???

btw these are inconsistent:

>> Genearlly "deleted" threads are moved into a "Recycle Bin" where they stay and can be revived if there's enough call for it.

>> The original Haiti discussion thread (...) was then actually deleted accidentally (...) and is currently in cyber-purgatory where it shall remain unless someone figures out how to un-delete it (...)

Especially without:

>> and everyone agrees to discuss things as opposed to bitch about each other

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
tongue2

That's better.

OK, maybe not the best worded response.

The Haiti "discussion" thread was deleted by accident, as opposed to moved to the recycle bin - because of this, there was no marker left along the lines of "This has descended into flaming and is no longer a discussion etc. etc". We'd had several notifications about it, and the consensus was reached.

The spam-bot Haiti discussion is in the recycle bin, though can be revived if people really want to.
Or just start a new one and try to keep it as a discussion.

The mods are watching.
Like easily-distracted eagles.
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Durbs
The original Haiti discussion thread was being monitored due to rising tempertatures, though it was then actually deleted accidentally (not by me...) and is currently in cyber-purgatory where it shall remain unless someone figures out how to un-delete it and everyone agrees to discuss things as opposed to bitch about each other wink

Actually it should be a simple fix to just use the system restore function and sort it out from there, unless of course you shred and window wash your system after each clearing of the recycle bin. Nothing is truly irrecoverable unless you use those measures with all of your deleted files.

Like I said before, I don't know if anyone got out of control after I went to bed so I cannot speak for that, but until someone starts mudslinging and name calling (which was done to me and I notified along with complying to the OP's requests of sorting things out on their terms, but I don't deem it thread ending worthy and only the individual post flagged deserved editing), I think it's wrong to not allow people to disagree about principles and philosophies because it's a restriction of freedom of speech that has gone to the point of a strict police state. Differences are not personal and people should have the opportunity to work them out or at least reach a point of stalemate like so many topics are just going to end up in. If I, or anyone else, states facts, points out misconceptions (or inconsistencies), and back up arguments while expressing a stance/opinion on an issue I do not see how that can be considered flaming (to my knowledge that's how debates work and debate teams operate wink ).

If you don't mind me speaking freely for a second, I think until the definitions are clearly laid out of what is considered an offense that everyone who notifies just because they are butthurt over others simply not agreeing to their ideals or being corrected when they are incorrect with their information should be notified that their use of the feature was not correct in contextual terms or simply brushed off after review. People should have the chance to clear these things up and not be submitted to biased web forum fascism. ubbangel

I hope that all came out okay and that it was understood in a constructive manner. peace

~Rock on!~

addict
474 posts

Posted:
thanks durbs for the input

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused2

Originally Posted By: DurbsThe Haiti "discussion" thread was deleted by accident, as opposed to moved to the recycle bin - because of this, there was no marker left along the lines of "This has descended into flaming and is no longer a discussion etc. etc". We'd had several notifications about it, and the consensus was reached.

This is an even more disturbing response then the one before IMHO

Measured against other threads in the past, I couldn't see an necessity to delete the entire thread - especially not since there has been no Mod calling for prudence/ order prior to its deletion.

Either this thread has been "deleted by accident", or "a consensus was reached"... or was the consensus reached to delete the thread by accident????

umm

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Hehe its a good thing you lot don't post on UKC your heads would explode...

hug
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1264493457)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

addict
474 posts

Posted:
yeah, I think the decision to scrap it was crap but again thanks Durbs for letting us know what was happening

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'd like to thank the mods for being responsive shrug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom
Either this thread has been "deleted by accident", or "a consensus was reached"... or was the consensus reached to delete the thread by accident????

The thread was deleted by accident, as opposed to being moved to the recycle bin (which is just a different area of the boards to avoid confusion).
I'd already posted in the thread mentioning the tone was slipping, and we'd had several notifications/complaints about personal attacks within it.

You all know you're more than welcome to have debates and arguements here, and you should all know the posting guidlines, but to re-iterate:
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*cough*

8uuummm . [that's been the comment of my hyperactive kitten walking over the keyboard wink ]

thanks Durbs for letting us know about the background... as this has been a very unusual event, I suspected that Mike hit the "Delete (initial) Post" button and let the thread sink...

my apologies if that has not been the case.

There must have been a few posts that I was missing out on, because as far as I witnessed it the tone has not been slipping far enough to justify a deletion.

Nevertheless better friendships are also being built by taking sides in the flaming wink

damn flamefarts.... spank

Non-Https Image Link

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I don't see the need for a mature section I have to be honest...

A social area where people can swear and talk about sex?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Err.. isn't that what Facebook is for?

(P.S. F***)

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Speaking of sex...

EDITED_BY: brenonfire413 (1264514437)

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshOriginally Posted By: Durbs
You all know you're more than welcome to have debates and arguements here, and you should all know the posting guidlines, but to re-iterate:
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Give me a mature section... and I'll show you how to build goodwill! ^^b

that would be the "retired members forum"... wait some time and it'll be available for you too wink

Page: