Forums > Social Discussion > (International) Aid ... what is it good for?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 123
FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:this basically is another aftershock - or a ripple of a deleted thread wink

[ed: there is another thread touching Social welfare - this one is more about the aspects of international aid - feel free to post here or there smile ]

I found the Wiki article on "Aid" and felt it touches important aspects - the most significant (imho) being:

Originally Posted By: WikiAid (...) is a voluntary transfer of resources from one country to another, given at least partly with the objective of benefiting the recipient country.[1] It may have other functions as well: it may be given as a signal of diplomatic approval, or to strengthen a military ally, to reward a government for behaviour desired by the donor, to extend the donor's cultural influence, to provide infrastructure needed by the donor for resource extraction from the recipient country, or to gain other kinds of commercial access.[2] Humanitarianism and altruism are, nevertheless, significant motivations for the giving of aid.

(...)

Aid existed in ancient times. More recently, in the nineteenth century, some private aid flowed from the Western countries to the rest of the world; missionary schools are an example. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, aid from governments was tiny compared to present levels, consisting mostly of occasional humanitarian crisis relief. Some transfers that would now be counted as aid, however, came under the purview of colonial office budgets. It was at the end of World War Two, in the contexts of European reconstruction, decolonisation, and cold war rivalry for influence in the third world, that aid became the major activity that it is today.

What do you feel about (giving) aid? Or about your governments providing aid for (humanitarian) relief to other nations?

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1264830704)
EDIT_REASON: splinters ;)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete Topic

Felex
Felex

Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
Total posts: 268
Posted:God I hate that thing! A mates ex never shut up about it.

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:If you can't give because you're empty, then don't. Nobody forces you. Those who can, will give what is within their possibilities. Some will give more than that and either life will take care and refund them or not.

If you disagree with (your) governments sending aid to other countries, it might be useful to address it right there.

I disagree with that. International aid is to balance wealth and often to refund on governmental levels for what has been or still is being taken on a corporate level.

peace

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1264831122)
EDIT_REASON: blunt edges

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
Total posts: 787
Posted:offtopic *wishes people didn't bring up things from a dead thread because they can't back what I even claimed, also that source is no good and only represents rates from 1997-2008 for 5 STDs so it's irrelevant and you shouldn't have brought it up. sounds like fighting words to me and I'm taking back all responses*
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1264782908)
EDIT_REASON: because I'm not playing this game and it's off topic

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:Again I feel you're reading too much into my post. I didn't say you can't speak for anybody... but when you claim that minorities in the US would not deserve welfare, aid or special attention I just can't wouldn't side it.

What is (international) aid good for? It's building goodwill and strengthening humanitarian values. It's diminishing unnecessary suffering and it shows that mankind is about to find a common denominator to make all races live on this planet together peacefully.

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1264831208)
EDIT_REASON: :)

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Posted:*can't rationalize with irrationality about the memory of a tangent, so is taking back response as it only did more harm than good regardless of how disgusted I was at the time*

EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1264783129)
EDIT_REASON: It's my prerogative!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Delete

Felex
Felex

Posted:Sigh. Im going to have to stop reading these posts.
Think I might go off for a cry.

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:^^ My point entirely.

EoN: Please limit personal issues to PM's and come back to a factual discussion. Personal experience carries you some distance and/ but might/ might not be representative for a society or mankind as a whole. Not saying that I have access to the ultimate wisdom or being an expert in anything..

This being the reason why I engage in a discussion: as to see another pov and look at an issue from a different angle than my own.

Mankind as a whole benefits from searching for and diminishing or eradication of STD's. Not only in your own country but in developing nations and worldwide. Thus the distribution of affordable medication to these countries is paramount.

Back on topic: Whilst I personally don't back politically motivated aid, I am totally for humanitarian aid of all sorts. Be it in personnel deployed, food and water supplies or medical...

Humanitarian (international) aid is for relief of natural disasters, war stricken regions or other reasons. It is to stabilize other nations and also to distribute wealth equally.

That being the ideal (as I see it) and mark an important step in mankind's evolution - away from tribe vs. tribe towards a society living together in peace and harmony.

[/preachertell] wink

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1264831291)
EDIT_REASON: topic

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Posted:^^^

Then keep your rear back on topic because you brought it up and started the whole thing.

peace hug clap

~Rock on!~

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:I think you two need to resolve this in classic gladiatorial style combat. First blood wins. Weapons and armor will be provided if you lack such. Anybody feel free to bring popcorn and tasty beverages.
And sorry Tom, my money's on EoN. Nothing personal, but she has access to military style training and if she's got Indian blood in her then she will be PISSED come fight time!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

WoodlandApple
WoodlandApple

addict
Total posts: 474
Posted:look ten billion dollars pledged

America does have money to give....

(actually only Bill Gates but it is a start smile )

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

Delete

Felex
Felex

Posted:No no I looked at it.Arrrrrrrrghhhhghhhh!

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:I updated the OP and blunted some edges in my previous posts as letting myself being dragged into a 1on1 fruitless debate over facts that have nothing to do with the topic anyway.

The irony is that a lot of (so called) international aid directly benefits national companies... thus the argument that (international) aid would put other nations higher than the own is (at least sometimes) quite incorrect.

See Wiki on tied aid

Delete

Page: 123