Forums > Social Discussion > (International) Aid ... what is it good for?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
this basically is another aftershock - or a ripple of a deleted thread wink

[ed: there is another thread touching [Old link] - this one is more about the aspects of international aid - feel free to post here or there smile ]

I found the Wiki article on "Aid" and felt it touches important aspects - the most significant (imho) being:

Originally Posted By: WikiAid (...) is a voluntary transfer of resources from one country to another, given at least partly with the objective of benefiting the recipient country.[1] It may have other functions as well: it may be given as a signal of diplomatic approval, or to strengthen a military ally, to reward a government for behaviour desired by the donor, to extend the donor's cultural influence, to provide infrastructure needed by the donor for resource extraction from the recipient country, or to gain other kinds of commercial access.[2] Humanitarianism and altruism are, nevertheless, significant motivations for the giving of aid.

(...)

Aid existed in ancient times. More recently, in the nineteenth century, some private aid flowed from the Western countries to the rest of the world; missionary schools are an example. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, aid from governments was tiny compared to present levels, consisting mostly of occasional humanitarian crisis relief. Some transfers that would now be counted as aid, however, came under the purview of colonial office budgets. It was at the end of World War Two, in the contexts of European reconstruction, decolonisation, and cold war rivalry for influence in the third world, that aid became the major activity that it is today.

What do you feel about (giving) aid? Or about your governments providing aid for (humanitarian) relief to other nations?

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1264830704)
EDIT_REASON: splinters ;)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
^^^

Then keep your rear back on topic because you brought it up and started the whole thing.

peace hug clap

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
I think you two need to resolve this in classic gladiatorial style combat. First blood wins. Weapons and armor will be provided if you lack such. Anybody feel free to bring popcorn and tasty beverages.
And sorry Tom, my money's on EoN. Nothing personal, but she has access to military style training and if she's got Indian blood in her then she will be PISSED come fight time!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
look ten billion dollars pledged

America does have money to give....

(actually only Bill Gates but it is a start smile )

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
No no I looked at it….Arrrrrrrrghhhhghhhh!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I updated the OP and blunted some edges in my previous posts as letting myself being dragged into a 1on1 fruitless debate over facts that have nothing to do with the topic anyway.

The irony is that a lot of (so called) international aid directly benefits national companies... thus the argument that (international) aid would put other nations higher than the own is (at least sometimes) quite incorrect.

See Wiki on tied aid

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: