nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
this is first time that i'm posting in "advenced poi moves"... :-)
I hope my english is good enough...

So... Throws:

In my opinion throws are a new, great, funny way to use poi. When i started poi in italy there wasn't advanced spinning as now (i started 4 or 5 years ago) but there was a lot o jugglers, so i has been inspired by clubs for a long time.

I understood this:
there is a report between handles weight and rotation during throws, aproximative this:

classic poi: no handle weight-
rotation is the slowest possible, rotation point is centred in the head (the ball) spinning is easiest.

manipulation poi (ronan kind): handle is made with a club knob, eventually something to add more weight, handle is 1/4 or less than head (ball). Perfect for contact, very good for spinning, rotation center during throw is near the head, on the cord.

juggling poi: ( i use this): heandle is made with gum and the weight is 1/3 of head, rotation center is almost on the middle of cord, but a little bit on the head side. Not good for spinning as the other kinds, but perfect for juggling.

meteor: there are to head of equal weight
rotation poi is exactl on the middle point.

Also cord leght is important, more leght=less speed.

In my opinion there are no limits in juggling with poi, everything that is possible with clubs, or staffs, is possible with poi, also passing and 5 object toss.
Anyway in my opinion with poi is possiblle to mix spinning and juggling more than with avery toy, becouse poi are "spinning native".
Juggling can be mixed in the flow becoming something quite different from club juggling, not a trick or two, but a new,strong, really cool way to use poi.

So, i want to say everything to throw your poi and experiment new combos and variations!

what do you think about?

DaedraSILVER Member
The Dae Walker
75 posts

Posted:
I'd like to add Wibbles to the mix. That god like entity known as Matt Terry with his Wibbley madness!
I've been experimenting with them, trying to get Tribbles (Wibbling with three Poi), so far I've only managed it once or twice but it is in fact possible! Though the entry is fairly difficult when you're trying to manipulate three Poi anyway smile

Also I've been trying to juggle Manipulation Poi in the style of Club Juggling. So far my efforts have seen me make four or five throws and managed to catch them. Though do to their flexibility, maintaining it has been quite the challenge!

Once my father gave me a kiwi... I thought it was a rodent and I stroked it until all the fur fell out - White Ninja

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
yes tribbles are possibile, but very hard to do, my friend Acciaio was attempintg to do some mounths ago. I did some experiment with manipulation of three poi, it's fun but hard too...

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
I agree with the endless possobilities when you begin to think about poi as anouther medium for juggling. i recently started to leard to juggle clubs to improve my throws. Its alot of fun to try to juggle 3 poi just as you would 3 clubs.

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
clubs are very similar to poi! I'm getting a lot of inspiration to juggle from this video, 5 meteors juggling and other cool tricks

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
That is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing. And by the way is this you?

Great work. I just started juggling clubs and watching that video just gave me many ideas.

I'd love one of that guy's meteor - look like great fun.

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
yes i'm, i'm happy that you liked.:-) Also i'm training with clubs, expecially 2 clubs, to study possible applications on poi.

P.s.
spungling is old, i made another video called autumn in wich there are more advanced tricks, and i wish to do another one in genuary with the newst throws.

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
I noticed after my reply. Amazing work!

Two club juggling? As in working out different throw patterns for two objects? That's such a great idea.

What have you been working on as of late?

Oh and how do you make your poi and handles? They seem excellent for throws

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
yes, 2 clubs are quite different to juggle with 3, i'm using 2 clubs to study the time, but catches are diferent becouse when you usually catch a club you stop spinning, with poi you have to continue rotation.

And, please, my english is too poor, can you say in other therms:"What have you been working on as of late" , i didn't understand :-P

My handle are made with gum from bike wheel, the part when you put air inside, i don't know the therm of... And tape to fixt it, in the last part of this video there is a little explaine of that:

qwertycoderBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
what i did with mine is tape some nuts on the very tips of the chains and hot glue that into one of these

https://www.google.com/products?q=cane+ti...ved=0CCgQrQQwAg

you can get them at pretty much any drug store at many sizes.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
"What have you been working on as of late"

= What have you been working on lately?

= What 2 club patterns have you been playing with?

hug

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
@qwertycoder: good idea! what is the weight?

@Mother Nature Son: thanks for translation ;-)

answere to question:
i'm training to do continuos throws starting one time with right one time with left, and to do catch in spinning, also to spin one club when the other one is int the air, anyway avery thing that i'm trying with poi i try with clubs, club swinging + juggling is very good to learn throws with poi.

p.s.
Today i'm going to da a tutorial to explaine my handle.

edit:
here the tutorial:

EDITED_BY: nulleamai (1260280503)

qwertycoderBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
hmm im not sure of the exact wieght but its just about even with my 2.5 inch monkey fists. they spin with the center of the chain as the center point when not feuled and a little off center when feuled.

id be awesome if you could make a tutorial detailing some of your more complex throws.

Alan_OCallaghanGOLD Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Let's talk about throws? Let's talk about Bill!

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
i wathced recently these video and i really liked, i hope to meet him one of these days :-) These throws are interensting becouse are made with normal poi, without weight on the handle.

JHGeckostranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hum, there is a litle weight on the handle : if you read the comments on the second vid, Bill write that his poï are about 50g on the handle and 180g on the head. Which I would say is nearer to contact poï than to normal poï.

EDITED_BY: JHGecko (1260377583)

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
thank you, it's very interesting for me :-)

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
I've been doing some throws lately, mainly to compliment the combos with under the leg pirouettes I've been doing and to explore all the places and positions where you can throw and catch the poi. Horizontal float throws also have a bunch of possibilities I've only begun to discover.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
i got a throwing forward weave down today ... which i'm loving. i've been working on continuous one hand throws as well ....i can do regularly four circles in my right hand and on a good one i can get up to six the goal is to be able to it with out stopping so that my other hand can do something else

@nulleamai that Russian 5 meteor guy is insane

I love thinking in circles

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
I hate winter! i need more space to practice on tall throws and 3 poi juggling, but it's hard to find tall-hot places where to spin at the moment... I will continue to train "low" toss and manipulation...

@joffjk: yeah he is amazing!

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
yeah it's not easy i've been using my staircase i've been trying to catch a poi on my shoulder not really got it yet but i figured that if i can catch on my shoulder it would make 3 poi a lot easier

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried starting doing piourettes - something like 2 poi 2 up 360°

I have started them spinning backwards throw them and start turning. After some time practicing it works catching one poi. Hope getting catching the other poi as fast as possible - seems to be some funny way.

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get a double antispin throw in the middle of antispin flowers at he moment. slowly working up to it from pendulum. it really hard because you can't see both poi... only 1. i know that shouldn't matter and you should do it by feel instead but doing an antispin throw behind you and not looking is pretty tough to catch.

chemairoSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
I don't get the idea - could you maybe draw the pattern and mark where you would like to throw and where you would like to catch?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Probably, start with a pendulum such that one poi is in front of you and one behind.

As they get to horizontal, let go and catch them again.

Now do the same but instead of penduluming, make them anti-spin flowers. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
This is actually on my list of things I need to learn to do with throws, specially because I'm working a lot with flowers and throws right now. My destination move is throw them, turn my torso 180, catch, and into another flower. I imagine this could be used to change between same and opposite direction flowers, come to think of it.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

chemairoSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Okay new idea.

Do a horizontal throw and then push your handle into the right or left side of your body - to get some more beats. depend on the direction of your throw you can get in this way an antispin or an inspin petal.

Hope you got the idea.
the next days I should get my camcorder and then I can make a video about it.

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
I have been working on No extra beat throws in split/opps recently so much fun