kahnetikaBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Yes, Hello there, So I want to make my own Pro Series Chain Cords because I think it would be cheaper - My question is where to find some heavy duty split rings that are the same size as the welded rings on the Pro Series Chain Cords that attach the chain to the swivels - does anyone have a pair of Pro Series Chain Cords and know the dimensions of these welded rings? Or what weight these rings hold?

Also, because split rings aren't the best, I am interested in welding my own rings. Does anyone know where to buy weldable rings and/or how to weld small rings like this? What type of welding technique would I need to use?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm, I'm not sure about their size, I have them but happen to not have any rulers laying about. But I do know they'll hold more weight than any split rings you'll find.

But you can get heavy duty split rings at Feuershow, but you might want to get the tool to split them (also on Feuershow) as they're a major pain in the ass.

I don't know what rings you can weld, or how to go about doing it, sorry. I'm not sure what tools you have, but I don't think making them will save you much money at all. As I've found from looking at materials to make things, most things I'd barely save any money at all. Like with fans, I'd save like 20 bucks, so I just decided if I get them, I'd fork up some more for professionally made ones, then I decided later I want double staff anyways.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I had similar thoughts to yours and wanted to make my own so I could control the length, and keep the price down. I approached a boilermaker/welder friend of mine who offered to do all the work for me.

I had explained what I wanted, and he was going to knock me up a few test pairs while at work testing different materials/sizes- just never got around to actually doing it (my fault - never gave him the chain). If you don't have any luck finding your answers I can definitely ask him next time i talk to him.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

PayndoraSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I actually made myself a pair of these and came out about $20 cheaper. Plus you get the benefit or making them your custom size and you can get the 2mm chain so they are much lighter. The split rings your looking for are deep sea fishing rings. You would probabaly want #7 or #8 and you want 100lbs.+test for your split rings. I myself use 100lbs.test and they work just fine. Best bet would be to go on ebay to get them or if you live near a deep sea fishing shop. A bag of 50 split rings shouldnt be over $10. TO put the split rings on you just need some plain old pliars. Easy to make and well worth it.

noramosGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

from a fishing store

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I would note that wherever possible I avoid using that style of oval quick link. 1 in 3 or so will just open up while spinning.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Quick question...

What kinds of fishing split rings are best? I gathered the idea of deep sea or shark types, but is there a particular brand, type and/or material (stainless steel is a bit broad) I should be looking out for?

I'll be using this on my chain set that I use for both practice and fire, so I'd also like to know how these wear and such.

This statement is false...?

EytanBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenI would note that wherever possible I avoid using that style of oval quick link. 1 in 3 or so will just open up while spinning.

What style of oval quicklink do you recommend using instead? Is something like https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Single-3mm-Stainless-Steel-Oval-Quicklink
substantially different enough to prevent it opening?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Home of Poi's has always seemed to have a problem with opening up on me in the past. I don't spin fire as much as I used to, but they haven't done it in a long time, but they used to open it seemed like every time I spun.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin