Forums > Help! > Spiral wrap with kerosene?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Is it safe for me to do a spiral wrap with K-1 kerosene without a kevlar sheath covering the metal parts at the end, I'm more concerned with doing one while whirling and do it above my head.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
OK, I really know the difference between white gas and kerosene, I just had no censored clue what paraffin was. laugh3
But still, what in hell is illuminating paraffin?
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262646053)

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitOK, I really know the difference between white gas and kerosene, I just had no censored clue what paraffin was. laugh3
But still, what in hell is illuminating paraffin?

white gas burns hotter yet has no smoke. its better for indoors.

kerosene is better for spinning... period. everyone told me to use white gas but im like no [censored] that i dont want a higher chance of getting burnt (btw one of the pains i hate burns is top 2 along with electrocuted idky i love fire poi though ill trained with burns) get
EDITED_BY: forrestfire (1262652609)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, I know the difference, I want to know what "Illuminating Paraffin" is. I'd say some of my top pains would be electrocution, anything that pierces my skin (needles, stabby things, and burns aren't too bad I guess. I've never broken a bone so I can't say on that.

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
how do you do your fuel? soak? or what?

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoutThen there's all that weird stuff the Australians use. AFIK Shellite is similar to white gas ans D60 is some sort of solvent that resembles kerosene. Don't discuss fuels with Australians, it only leads to madness.

madness!!! calling a liquid a gas is whats mad!

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI know the difference, I want to know what "Illuminating Paraffin" is.

Its lamp oil.
It's bascially the same stuff as paraffin, but with a few extra additives for a brighter light, less smell and so on.

I'd still prefer standard paraffin though.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: forrestfirehow do you do your fuel? soak? or what?
I soak my cathedrals in just enought kerosene to submerge the wick completely and let it sit for a few minutes and I get nice really long burns. My last one was about 6:30 I think grin And by a few minutes, usually 3-5 minutes (however long it takes to get everything else set up and stuff) I always make sure it's a long soak because I like my burns to be long.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootOriginally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI know the difference, I want to know what "Illuminating Paraffin" is.

Its lamp oil.
It's bascially the same stuff as paraffin, but with a few extra additives for a brighter light, less smell and so on.

I'd still prefer standard paraffin though.

Yeah. Although illuminating is quite common in some of the more outlying parts of SA. Is not that different though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitOriginally Posted By: forrestfirehow do you do your fuel? soak? or what?
I soak my cathedrals in just enought kerosene to submerge the wick completely and let it sit for a few minutes and I get nice really long burns. My last one was about 6:30 I think grin And by a few minutes, usually 3-5 minutes (however long it takes to get everything else set up and stuff) I always make sure it's a long soak because I like my burns to be long.

do you dab or spin off.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I let it drip until it stops pouring it out like it normally does for first like 10 seconds at most and then I give it 1 or 2 hard spins
Btw I got my Kevlar sleeves in the mail grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262809428)

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
niccceeee. i ordered my new set yesterday (i messed up on the ordering process i did a week ago)

but apparently it will come in on the 21st. i kinda doubt that. HoP is REALLY fast with shipping.

2,280 posts

Posted:
My stuff usually gets her about a week faster than they say it will, actually every order I've made has taken 2 weeks. What set are you getting?

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
pro series SINGLE loop. i hate double loop.
cathedral heads

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, I actually haver the same thing but with double loops, I'm kinda thinkin next pair I get I want single loops, but next pair I want is Isis Poi, not sure if that somes in single smirk

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
i would like the isis poi EXCEPT for the chains. it looks... flimsy.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: forrestfirepro series SINGLE loop. i hate double loop.
cathedral heads

Out of curiosity, why the preference for single? Most of the folks I spin with can't stand 'em, and it's a gear option I haven't used much before.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOSĀ©
34 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenOriginally Posted By: forrestfirepro series SINGLE loop. i hate double loop.
cathedral heads

Out of curiosity, why the preference for single? Most of the folks I spin with can't stand 'em, and it's a gear option I haven't used much before.

Yea i am not a big fan of my single loops at all. They feel sort of awkward, and doing any spiral wraps with them can get messy real easy.

I was thinking of making some ball-handles but since i've got the pro-series chain, i'd have to cut the loops off the swivels and quicklink the ball handles onto them. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hmm, you could possibly bend the loop on the ball a little and squeeze the swivel in ther and clamp it back shut. Not sure if it would work, but it could be worth a try. As for the quicklink, I'm not quite sure how well or "unwell" it would work, but it could always be your little experiment, if it doesn't work, you could just cut the sewing on the loop and if you really don't like the ball handle with the link, you could sew the handle back on. ubbidea

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenOriginally Posted By: forrestfirepro series SINGLE loop. i hate double loop.
cathedral heads

the single loop has such versatility... you can use a single loop as a double... or in 5 other ways. it also makes it easier for me to shorten my poi like as seen in here.

#

my type of grip isn't shown but its liek a modefied key-grip lock.

It's preference. I just really like single loop.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey, anyone have tips to actually push myself into doing a wrap with fire. I can do them every time, I have kevlar sleeves, I just can't seem to push myself.

I'll probably do some daytime burns today to try and overcome it, but as usual for now, I'll think about it and be sure I will do it, but when the fire is lit, it's just near impossible to do it.

It's like diving offa a high board, just have to get past that hesitation once or twice and it becomes easy, at least that's how I believe it will go as most things do.

I also think it will help me do other things if I can get past it. So any tips on pushing yourself into doing things with fire please let me know.

Because I'm sure that the actual most difficult thing about fire is getting past that mental block telling you NO DON'T DO IT!

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
first off im a diver so a high dive is fun for me...

its simple to put it...

whats the worst thats gonna happen?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
wait until your wicks are burnt down towards the end of your spin: there's less fire so it's not quite as scary

also, you could try doing individual wraps to get accustomed to the idea before going for the full spiral wrap

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

2,280 posts

Posted:
That's a good idea smile with the waiting till near the end.

High dive is fun for me too, I just remembered that first time, it took me like half an hour to get off and like 20 people were cheering me on to jump, they saw I was just standing there looking out and they all stopped and got me to finally do it.

But I unfortunately do not have that sort of time with fire lol.

For some reason too, I can do the silly walk after learning it 2 days ago and I still can't do a spiral with fire laugh3

I figured it would be easier to do a spiral than having a flaming ball pass next to my crotch repeatedly, but nope.

A=PoiRsQuaredSILVER Member
I thunk, their four I is.
28 posts

Posted:
kerosene- i get t at home depot, errr kerosene alternative called klean heat. I would use thin gloves though if you don't want to burn your hands up

Life is Good

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have Kevlar sleeves as you may or may not have read above.

Definately helps me do a lot of things close to my arms while keeping my hair.

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
QUICK I NEED HELP!
i have a bottle of " tiki torch fuel with 'citroMAX' Citronella"

is this safe or what?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Crap, I've hears something about that but I can't remember what it was.

Sorry

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
i read a couple threads on here that dont say anything bad about it. it actually has a longer life than kero...

it also has a lot higher flashpoint...

just smells funky.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I bet it's more expensive too laugh3

If it has a longer life, it would be good for special shows where you plan a long performance ubbidea

I also learned burn time is highly affected by moved that quickly change the momentum of the poi heads (orbitals, wraps, but mostly orbitals) because it sprays fuel off smirk I saw it for the first time yesterday when someone saw my pants were getting wet, so I thought a little did another orbital and saw fuel coming off. I personally thought it was awesome and saw that I should never do one with lighter fluid rolleyes

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: forrestfireQUICK I NEED HELP!
i have a bottle of " tiki torch fuel with 'citroMAX' Citronella"

is this safe or what?

At a guess, I'd say this was some kind of fuel that gives of a lemony smelling smoke?

Thats a guess mind you. But let me google that for you.

I found a PDF on the MSDS on a Gardening store website (direct link to the PDF is here. I haven't read the PDF 'cos Adobe PDF Reader and I hate each other. (You'll need that program in order to read the MSDS details [MSDS information can be found here. You can use information there to determine whether your lemony fresh fuel is safe to spin with], although there is a faster, better alternative that can be found here).

Why don't you try creating a new post in the help section, so you can attract more attention and get more answers? Loads of people will probably be willing to help, its just posting in a random thread won't get much attention. Be Bold wink

-edit-

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Just read you already found your answer. All that googling for nothing.

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1263779994)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Page: