Forums > Help! > Advice on travelling the world

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
Hi all, I know there are alot of people in this community who have been away, or are currently away travelling the world. I was hoping that people could maybe give me some advice, where to go, what to see etc.

I'm leaving in august for six months, returning to England in January so i can start work again in February. My very simple itinerary so far is;
England-California (maybe spend a month here)
-the far east(I'm open to suggestions of whereabouts to go, although I definitely want to experience a full moon party in Thailand)
-New Zealand (I'll be spending the bulk of my time here, around 3 months I reckon, probably spending Christmas here too)
-Australia (I may fly here for new year to experience the party at Sydney harbour)
-home to England.

I will add that I'm not the adventure type, I don't want to bungee jump or skydive, I don't want to scuba dive the great barrier reef (mainly as I cant do the whole breathing underwater thing!!) and I don't want to climb a mountain. I just want six months of relaxing, sightseeing, cultural fun!

Thanks in advance for any advice folks!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: poifull_spirit The places in Aus that you must visit are:

Wilson's Promontory national park (my favourite place in the world and only 3hrs from Melb)
Bay of Fires - Tasmania
Byron Bay
Melbourne - check out fitzroy and Brunswick... not just St Kilda come on people, there is so much more to Melbourne than just St Kilda!

Cairns / the Great Barrier Reef! The rainforest etc in the area are nice too, but to me the GBR is the single must do for the area, even if you only snorkel or go out in a glass sided semi-sub.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I typically save up, it sounds lame, but I take my change and throw it into a bucket, it adds up quickly. Many people use study and work as a way to go abroad.

Pick a place you would like to go, start cutting out things you don't need to save up, ask for advice from all the awesome HoPeeps, mayhap one will open their home to you. wink

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
SpinnerofDetroit. I'm currently sitting at work (i work in a call centre) and i work full time. on top of that i live at home so my expenses are almost zero. I also have started busking in the city. Am trying to develop and manufacture my own clothing to sell as well as my own line of toys and build my poi website and promote myself as a professional fire twirler to try and gete actually gigs and run paid workshops and, and , and ... collapse!

To be perfectly honest it's exhausting but brilliant at the same time. I don't get much sleep, about 4-6hrs a night. but i have serious plans to be able to travel perpetually and work or at least busk doing my arts while i travel to supporrt myself.

there are tons of ways to be able to travel the world for a pittance. My mate just got back form 8 months in europe and africa, he spent a total of $13,000 including everything. now he hitchicked, camped and couchsurfed basically everywhere in Europe which saves you a ton. I'm hoping to have over $20,000 saved before i leave in august including having paid for tickets and insurance. It's going to be very, very tough. i need to save another $10,000 - $12,000 in the next 3 months... which is why i'm working my ass off and doing all sorts of other stuff.

My advice for cheap long term travel is:

couchsurf,
hitchhike (if you're comfortable doing it)
eat cheaply (vego food is nutritious and cheap everywhere)
volunteer (e.g. Woofing)
get temp jobs (e.g. ESL teacher) - I'm currently waiting on a reply on a job as an ESL teacher in Spain for the 2010/11 school year.

Your first port of call is www.transitionsabroad.com which is an incredible repository for travel information.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Awesome, I'll have to look at that later because I have to sleep now.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Page: