Ms. C.BRONZE Member
glo buggin...
5 posts

Posted:
Lookin to present my handsome beau with his first real (not home-made practice) poi set. So we set out shoppin on this wonderful site and he likes the idea of either the 2.5 or 3.5 monkey fist with longer chains - is this suitable poi for beginners? He practices everyday and is simply lovely at it but has never had real poi so some pro feedback would be fantastic, any suggestions? And, just out of curiosity, any other poi shopping site suggestions? I've been lookin for different sock poi designs other than the jailhouse and plain but have only located some good ones on dube.com.

-- ms. c =]

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I don't think that's suitable for beginners, has he ever burned before? You should measure the length he likes to spin his homemade poi practice sets and think about how heavy he likes those. If you go Monkeyfist, I'd recommend the standard ones as a max out point for a first set. They hold a lot of fuel and have a large flame with a long burn time. If he likes a medium weight go with the Cathedrals and if he likes lighter weight go with the Mura.

I spin with Muras on Pro Series chains (these chains are great, start at the top with the chains is my advice!) and the flame is a good size and due to the flame I've found I prefer single loop handles to get in and out of a well as a shorter chain for better control. The longer the chain is, the more you limit your ability to perform tricks and burning is much different from standard practice with drag. My next burn will be my 3rd and I can tell you it's a whole different ball game when you're actually doing it so you may want him to consider all the aspects of weight and length affecting his skills before selecting something uncomfortable to spin.

Don't forget to get him some head covers to protect whatever you chose and to practice and get comfortable with your rig before setting it ablaze! Be safe smile

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Those things pack some serious heat. I wouldn't recomend them for a beginner or even a well practised non-fire spinner to use on a virgin burn.

Something like this is a safer bet.

Hope that helps smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_Dog
Something like this is a safer bet.

Hope that helps smile

Those are poi heads I use, but I upgraded the chains. They are really good and plenty of punch to learn the ways of fire spinning IMOyes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)