Forums > Help! > Spiral wrap with kerosene?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Is it safe for me to do a spiral wrap with K-1 kerosene without a kevlar sheath covering the metal parts at the end, I'm more concerned with doing one while whirling and do it above my head.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I wear gloves for spirals, and even then I get burnt occasionally (less than I would without them, but still), the gloves I use are made of some synthetic fabric blend, which melts, which means if I get tangled up, I'm screwed.

A kevlar sheath and good technique should keep you safe, it's a good way of getting rid of any arm hair wink

Indie73BRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone)
we do spirals (kevlar moonblaze + cerosine) without any glowes.
Yes, after it hands are black, but nothing seriuos happend.
Also Tomas shows in one vid his gear. There was long gloves with cut fingers, but it was made from syntetics, and he advised to pull these gloves on hands into hot water (as now do i =) ).

Derek_FaughnDIAMOND Member
DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
I never use gloves or a sheath. Just my hands and normal hardware. My hands do get blackened up, and i get very small minor burns on my hands sometimes, but other then that its all good. I'd just make sure you are 100% confortable with spiral wraps and you'll be ok.

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
I just realized after my first burn, there is no way I could do that anytime soon... way to scary

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
just to clear this up - it will never be 'safe' tp do a spiral wrap with poi (unless you're wearing welding gloves) but there is a lot you can do to minimise risks
1) practise
2) ensure you are familiar with the poi you are using
3) practise
4) don't hold the poi still for long periods of time (the chain heats up) this has got me a couple of times
5) make sure the person before you wasn't holding the poi still for long periods of time
6)practise
7) use protection - sheaths, gloves, whatever
8)practise

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

2,280 posts

Posted:
Of course when I mean not dangerous, I mean relative to everything else I am doing, which is quite dangerous XD

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Indie73Hi everyone)
we do spirals (kevlar moonblaze + cerosine) without any glowes.
Yes, after it hands are black, but nothing seriuos happend.
Also Tomas shows in one vid his gear. There was long gloves with cut fingers, but it was made from syntetics, and he advised to pull these gloves on hands into hot water (as now do i =) ).

Those long gloves he uses are actually toe socks with the ends cut off.

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Man, Am i just to careless, or is everyone just a little over protective about spinning fire.... Welding gloves with spiral wraps? I mean I've caught each poi head in my bare hands and threw them into a spin the other way with out getting a serious burn. Like i said before...just be 100% confortable with what you are doing before you try it with fire.

James Dean

Indie73BRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ThezackThose long gloves he uses are actually toe socks with the ends cut off.
you are right!
Derek_Faughn, look at https://www.firemecca.com/p-556-kevlar-r-sleeves.aspx

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnMan, Am i just to careless, or is everyone just a little over protective about spinning fire.... Welding gloves with spiral wraps? I mean I've caught each poi head in my bare hands and threw them into a spin the other way with out getting a serious burn. Like i said before...just be 100% confortable with what you are doing before you try it with fire.

You can never be over cautious with fire. EVER.

Enjoy your inevitable burns.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Apollyon00stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Kerosene is a highly flammable, nearly explosive substance. I definitely prefer paraffin because it has a super low temp ignition point, burns predictably and doesn't ruin your kevlar. Wouldn't you prefer this safer fuel to kerosene? I've done wraps oogles of times with paraffin with no burns smile
EDITED_BY: Apollyon00 (1261292070)

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

Kerosene and paraffin are generally the same fuel, though in some countries the names may be used for different things.
The last lot I bought had both names written on it..

Sorry wink

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I do 'em bare handed all the time. hot metal burns are inevitable though, they're usually not serious but they may limit your desire to do more of them on that same evening.

I usually burn myself on the tops of my index fingers but I have had a few SWs go wrong and ended up with the hot metal bits between my fingers. The key is not to panic, minor burns are all part of the game really.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Another vote for gloveless spirals with no kevlar sheath on the chain. The moment of contact with anything hot is so short that getting burnt is unlikely, though tiny little burns are inevitable, I guess. I always do them fairly early in a burn as the metal parts won't have heated up too badly, and I use monkey fists, so there aren't any screws or anything on the wick itself. I'm often tempted to wear gloves just to stop my hands getting quite so sooty, but I'd say with adequate technique anything but the most minor of minor burns is unlikely.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Same. I tend not to wrap much any more because of the soot rather than a safety aspect.

You will get hot metal burns at some point, but they should be minimal and not serious.

This assumes that you know what you are doing.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
Those are nice. And i might invest in some so i can grab my poi head for a longer time, but i still dont think they are a must for spiral wraps.

James Dean

2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, today I was taking pictures for Facebook, and I hit myself i n the arm, everyone gasped, but to my amazement, noting happened, other than a little soot, nothing... I have now went up like 20 steps in my trust of fire. I think next time I might just go ahead and do a spiral wrap smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Derek_FaughnThose are nice. And i might invest in some so i can grab my poi head for a longer time, but i still dont think they are a must for spiral wraps.

Well, the heads are actually much less likely to burn you than the hardware they hang from. The common wick for fire toys is also commonly used to insulate blast furnaces, so it doesn't get all that hot, relatively speaking. I'd be fine catching my poi by their heads, but I would not want to grab the swivels after a minute of burning...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Which is odd because right after I'm done It is fine for me to touch them and they're just a little warm. But I'll just assume it's because it's freezing outside.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Metals typically have a pretty low specific heat, which means with a heat source nearby it gets real hot fast, and when the heat source goes, it cools off pretty quick.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
We all love spirals but they do come with a cost to pay if you don´t do it with presence and care. Take a look in the gallery and there is a new photo uploaded of a beautiful slug/blister from a spiralwarap I did the other day grin

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

DerekJF85
101 posts

Posted:
EWWW! I saw that! I've gotten blisters like that before, but not that big. That was massive!

James Dean

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOS©
34 posts

Posted:
i've only done over the head spiral-wraps with fire. My chains are a bit longer than i'd like, so getting into a wallplane spiral-wrap is sorta sketchy as of now.

Anyways, definitely prepare to lose some arm hair to your fire poi once you start playing with the spiral wraps. I'm probably gonna make a set of denim arm sheaths pretty soon though.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yikes! I've never gotten one like that before and I do a lot of handwraps.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
The time will come for each and everyone of us wink
Uploaded another photo which is more dirty and simply more nasty but it´s a nice reminder for all of us to not getting to carried away with the fire when spinning, we are not immortal even though we are able to do spirals wraps blindfolded while walking on a slack line over Grand Canyon, accidents happens tongue2
Live & learn....

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
One more thing - dipping gloves in water and then using them as protection has 2 results:

good - the gloves won't catch fire so easily
bad - you run the risk of steam burns by heating up the water in the material

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i read the thread title as "spinal wrap with kerosene" laugh3

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Spinal tap with kerosene?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh god I don't want to picture that as I am terrified by the sight of needles.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
The fire's in your blood dude....

Page: