Forums > Social Chat > Help on dealing with upcoming dog death

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I have an 12 year old Mastiff that was 200 pounds when whe was healthy, just to give you an idea on the size. Daisy has a tumor in her eye, lately she's been crying and shivering at night and apparently just recently you can see the tumor pressing against the inside of her eye. We are giving 1-2 more weeks before our decision to put her down as we are just getting her normal pain meds that don't upset her stomach so much. But I have a feeling it's the eye and not the stomach pain that's causing it, so I fear the worst. I know most of you are much older and have most likely dealt with this multiple times, so I'm just goin to ask you, is there anything I can do to prepare myself so I don't feel as bad when she dies? She is loved by so many people and I know it's going to be hard on my friends too, but I have a feeling I might be left devastated for who knows how long. So if there's any advice to give me to lesson the pain when it does happen please tell me because I couldn't help but ask some people with more experience in these matters.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
When I had put my dog down I held him so they could stick the needle in his leg. Stroked him until the vet said he was gone. I then shaking her by the hand said “thank you” and asked if they could dispose of the body.
He had been kicked about starved and was a stray before he came to me. I loved that animal and I gave him as good a life as he could possibly have.
But and this is the important bit. His quality of life was going and the vets could not make him better again only keep him going. I could not see him in pain and it would not of been fair on him to try and extend his life any longer.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
What Felex said at the end is very true and the same scenarios happened with a few mastiffs I grew up with over my life and the last time was over the summer. They are such amazing creatures and a part of the family, but due to the health problems of large breed dogs they only have a life span of 10 years and often time to let them go naturally is cruelty because of the pain these conditions can cause.

I think it will help for you to talk to your family about what is going on and let them know how you're feeling so you can come to a better understanding about this. Unfortunately this a fact that the majority of mastiff owners must face past the 7 year age mark, but nothing can erase the great times that you had and how much you loved them. Just know you're family is doing the most humane thing they can do in this circumstance.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I know, that it's the most humain thing to do, and that's why it will be done, wherther it be in the 1-2 week period or later. I'm already having troubles just reading Felex's response as it makkees me thikn of what's coming. I think my mind is finalkly starting to grasp what's happening. It's hard to see her in pain frown but I just hope a lot of it was the stomach problems from the meds that we had to use because the other ran out. In my mind, I think it's only humain to keep her as long as she's happy, once it gets too much for her I know it will be time to put her down. I'm just not sure how well I'm going to handle it, because I'm already having times where I'm breaking down over it. I know my mom feels the same, but my I'm not sure about my dad because he usually waits to be alone to do this kind of stuff, but I'm sure he feels the same. I know for a fact, I will be pulled out of anything I'm doing to be with her when they do it. As of now, I'm throwing away most of my weekend to be with her as much as I can.
These are my favorite 2 pictures of Daisy:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=134962&id=1798029746
https://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=134964&id=1798029746&fbid=1066584723684

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I can't handle reading this thread, so I won't. I'm still not dealing well with having our dog put down while I was overseas (Rhodesian ridgeback with cancer...I was NOT expecting it!).

Just posting to add support that I know how it feels to lose a member of the family - because dogs really are part of the family.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
In my experience, death isn't something you can be prepared for. It's still a huge kick in the gut. Only consolation I can give is that she won't be hurting any more.

Just a dancer in the dark

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
I admit I had tears in my eyes while righting that.
At the end of the day it’s the right thing to do and knowing that is how you handle it.

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
That's an amazingly long life for a mastiff. We have two right now and the eldest is 11, and our vet can't believe she's still kicking.

It's always hard to let a pet go, but if they're in pain it can be the right thing to do, especially if they've lived a long, happy life.

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
we found a kitten attacked by crows... she was very little... after two weeks intensive care and love she was really great and a sunshine to both of us... then I left her unattended on the patio for about 1,5 hrs in which she vanished without a trace... been quite painful for me...

a few days ago we found a puppy on the beach and invited her in.. she's been very bright and lively... vanished after 4 days... little less painful.

I had all kinds of pets for 20 yrs and saw them growing up - old and perishing... it's been painful to watch.

Then - over the years and some of my friends and family passing away - I realized that this is what life is about and that death is really more a problem for those left behind than the one who are experiencing it.

12 years is a fair age... we had older ones - but also much younger. If you love your companion, set her/ him free... let go and accept the inevitability that death is an integral part of life.

It might sound cold and disillusioned it isn't - I cried for that kitty...

big hug for you hug2

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

N1ghtshad3BRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
We just had to put our cat down in December right before Christmas. Had him for about 13 years and it has been SO ODD not having a pet in the house. Loved him dearly (Simeon) he was such a good little boy. I think it helped being with him while they did it because honestly he didn't even flinch and it was good to be able to just be there and pet/hold him and talk to him. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's a really hard thing to go through. If you have any friends with pets, while they're not your Daisy, it can be helpful to have one to cuddle/play/hug to help you. Praying for you

~Spin free, weave memories, light the night~

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how, but she's still alive and happy. Not very energetic, but still happy. Her eye is, well, not nice to look at. I think she might or may have broken 13 by now. I can't believe what was a 200 pound dog is still alive being this old. But looking at her eye, I can tell the time will come soon.

As for friends with pets, I have a friend with 4 cats and my girlfriend has a cat that hates me and a dog that doesn't like to not be with me and never stops moving.

As for dealing with Daisy, I've found myself becoming less attached to her, which I can't seem to help as I've been told she's gonna die soon for the past year. But I still love her and that won't change frown I plan on keeping her collar just like we did with out old dog, but I was 7 at that time, so this one is definitely going to stay important to me for a long time on. It's a chain so I may even wear it now and then.