Forums > Social Chat > Pro Series Multifunction LED - Reviews?

Login/Join to Participate

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone! I am looking to buy some poi tomorrow, but wanted to get some reviews if I can of the Pro Series Multifunction LED poi. I am just getting back into poi and have the very basics down, but understandably will be knocking the balls around so I do need durability at my stage. I'm looking for brightness as well, value... are they really worth it? If anyone can provide some insight that would be great!

Also, I tried to look for a post about them and didn't find any. So if this is a repeat thread, I'm sorry! I did search and didn't find what I was looking for, so if someone can point me to a different thread that would be great.

Thanks!
-Meeko

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello Meeko,

Sadly I looked for reviews on that product also and had no luck. I ended up getting some flow lights w/ crystal cases instead. I got the fire colors and they are so sweet. I smash them against each other/stuff all the time with no durability problems. Need to get the flowmass though for more weight. Good luck friend.

Groovy

Nick TashiroSILVER Member
Future Back-cracker
5 posts

Posted:
Meeko,

Ohmygawd, get them, get them, get them!

I wrote a review for 'em but it's not up yet. Anyway, here's the skinny:

I, too, was concerned about how bright the Pro Series were going to be, so I ended up going with flowlights at first.

The flowlights are only one color per LED, they are hard plastic (painful/breakable) and too light for my tastes without the crystal cases. The cases solve the weight/breakability issue, but they're $5/ea, $10/ea if you get the flowmass with 'em, which you shouldn't because then they're overly heavy, (Sean, you can totally have my flowmass). They are pretty cool looking, what with all the strobe patterns, but I got tired of the one-color thing pretty fast. Also, I found their battery life to be somewhat shorter than stated, and the crystal case is a minor pain to squeeze through HOP's quicklinks. I do realize that a lot of work went into their design, that they are a major leap forward in poi technology/reasonable pricing, and that many people really like them, I just don't think they're really right for beginners/me.

Now, the Pro Series Multifunction LED poi? Holy fruits, they're awesome! The casing is made of an uber-durable rubber that, while not the very softest thing when you whack yourself in the face, is a far cry gentler than hard plastic. They are easily as bright as the flowlights, it's just that the rubber shell diffuses the light more than the flowlights' hard plastic. You lose that little bright speck at the center of the diode, but get a brighter light overall. Perhaps the best feature is the beautiful colors they turn. The photos don't do them justice. I was breathless the first time I switched them bad boys on. Sooo pretty! They are a very good weight and you can easily slip them in a light-colored sock or spin 'em on cords. They even come with batteries installed, plus an extra pack for later. I've used them for several hours now without any dimming, but I've not killed 'em yet, so I'll have to get back to you on total battery life. The one gripe I do have with them is that sometimes the batteries will slide around inside while spinning, causing them to turn off. I haven't paid enough attention to the issue to tell if it's just one or both of them that does this, but I'm guessing it's an easy fix, (i.e: bending the battery terminal a tiny bit for a snugger fit). I also like that these have a good ol' 3-screw battery cover as opposed to the flowlights' hatch from hell. Lastly, they are cheaper than the flowlights, particularly when you factor in the $10 for crystal cases, ($50 for flowlights vs. $35 for Pro Series).

Do yourself a big favor, and get them now! They are an absolute dream.

I also design T-shirts, if you're into that sort of thing...

zazzle.com/awesomeville

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I was also thinking about getting these, because I've gone through 2 of the normal glowballs and the loops keep ripping. 2 because HoP sent me new ones free ^^ BUt they said the the Pro Series has a reenforced loop which I want as I like wraps and orbitals too much to not have them. Btw, don't do continuous spiral with normal ones, that'll break em pretty quick whistle
I want the flowlights or Oggz, but I have a ton of those button cell batteries and that would just be a waste. Also, with one of mine, the LED tube kept flying out when they hit eachother, but I put some nice 'ol Gorilla glue in the PVC hole so that should fix that grin I also put it in the beginning of a tear hoping I can make these last as long as I can. And yes get the Pro Series if your getting the glow balls is my overall opinion, I love the feel of these so much, but the normal ones are too breakable in the loop.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
I myself am getting a pair of these pro series poi from a shop near me. They dont come for another few days though >.<

But more to the point:
The guy at the counter said he has a pair of them himself and loves them more then any of the other poi he has seen and/or tested.

And did you try going to the product on HoP's Online Store?
They have reviews on the same page under all of the information and all of that jazz.

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".
Poje: not Joules?
Woodsy: No...Never grin

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I love the Pro series glowpoi to death. They're truly beautiful and they make my random midnight spinning sessions a lot more fun smile

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
They're going to be next glow poi I invest in. I'm currently using the slow fade rainbow LED HoP Glow Poi and it works great on my chains or in my socks, plus I like the weight and shape. The pro series improvements with the 27 modes are on my wish list for the time being and are a far better value than the 27 mode flowlights that are on other sites.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

NinlaSpinning around...
21 posts

Posted:
I just got them today! weavesmiley

They're really bright. They light up the whole room and myself. And yeah, they hurt when you hit in the face smile They're a little too heavy for me, as I was used to light balls. I didn't have ant problems with batteries though.

I think it's worth it! smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hm, I've been resisting these, but it sounds like maybe they're what I need to go with after all... And I really wanted to be a cheapskate. Nuts.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know how well it's reenforced loops stand up to contiuous spirals (Nevisoul style)?

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
sister: im willing to part with the $55 for them if they're as good as people are saying they are. But mind you i just bought a pair of Rainbow Day poi with the tassels on the end, so after getting the Glow Poi, i cant justify spending any more money on poi until later on in the year >.<

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the reviews everyone... seems like I will indeed go with these. Quick question though (and this may be a stupid question) I am thinking of ordering the sock poi ones, as I am interested in sock poi and my friends said it will be a bit easier to learn with. The balls with the sock poi, do they have the loop to transfer them to regular cords as well? I would think they do but want to make sure because I do want to be able to transfer them between the different kinds of poi.

As for those talking about flowlights... I don't trust myself with those even with cases because I am CONSTANTLY hitting my sticks together. I hear they can be durable, but if I'm going to put money down on something I want to make sure they really are durable and can withstand my newbness wink I think they look awesome, but for right now I don't think they would be a good investment.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about the socks, if I didn't know by the time I buy them and I wanted socks, I would just order the heads and the socks separate just in case.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
You will be able to transfer them because all the heads are manufactured with the loops so you can attach them however you like.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Woodsy: Actually, with my discounts they cost me $38, which is way less than flowlights plus accessories would cost. But I am going to hell for choosing poi over books.

Meeko: As Epitome says, HoP uses the same gear whether they're on strings or in socks. It's usually just cheaper that way.

Detroit: No one but you around here can do those continuous spirals. You suck tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, am I really? I can't wait to push myself to do a fire spiral so I can go to doing those with fire grin I can already hear it *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* bwahahaha. I want to do it so bad with fire.

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
Spiral?
I haven't looked in the Learn Section, and probably wont because im too lazy. But whats a spiral? >.<

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Short for "spiral wraps", where you wrap and unwrap both poi around your hands or wrists. Search for any video of one of Nevisoul's performances on YouTube for someone doing them insanely well.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I think he does it in a performance he does with Alien Jon, you can learn to do the contiuous spiral pretty easily once you figure out how to wrap it.
Depending on how long I want the spiral to be I will or not first around my index and middle fingers, then around my wrist coming out from under my thumb, the other one comes out of the other side.
You wrap them same direction same plane.
It took me some thinking and trail & error to figure it out. Before I figured it out, it would go around my hands, it was sloppy and hurt like hell, so there's how I do it tongue2

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitDoes anyone know how well it's reenforced loops stand up to contiuous spirals (Nevisoul style)?

I'm not actually up to trying spirals yet but looking at them I think they'd do pretty well - the loops are an extrusion of the case, all in the one piece, they look like they'd take a fair bit of strain.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Not the normal ones, they ripped pretty easily with orbitals, and again with spirals.

If I didn't have so many button cells, I would get Oggz.

But support told me to get Pro Series if I like doing wraps and/or orbitals because they have a reenforced loop, I'm not sure what with, but I guess it is.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
To bump this thread a little bit, I think I like everything about these but the battery life. I know the batteries that are initially in them are defective, but even after changing them they're starting to show signs of weakening after only a few hours of use. I have a pair of LED juggling balls that can do what modes 1 and 2 of these can, and they haven't dimmed much after about 20 hours of use (though they're not as bright to begin with).

Love them as a performance tool, but I think they'd turn out to be an expensive toy to practice with.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, after a while, I decided it would be best for me just to go ahead and buy flowlights. The only problem I have with those is their hefty price tag