Forums > Help! > First time fire spinning

Login/Join to Participate

Ashmorestranger
12 posts

Posted:
I should like to start particing with fire poi for the first time.
Does anyone have some tips or pointers??

All advice thank you can give is welcome wink

Carpe diem
Live each day to the max!!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Not much to say except to pick poi that are a comfortable weight, and to start off with simple, well-practiced moves.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Have all your gear ready and laid out once you get to your "spin zone" and have a safety with you who knows how to use everything. Also make sure the conditions are good and the ground you're spinning on is safe as well (even land, no bumps or debris, not slippery, open space, etc).

Other than that, just be dressed appropriately for spinning and be comfortable with your poi. Making sure they are properly fueled and blotted/squeezed/spun out enough is important too. Be ready to expect the jet engine noise poi make and wait for the flame to encompass the wick before you actually start spinning. Take it slow, get a feel for it, and stay in your comfort zone. Last but not least, know how to put them out with the help of your spotter and a damp towel.

I recommend lighting with a candle if it is cold where you are too BTW.My first spin was a few weeks ago so here is my advice to pass on.

Most of it is getting out there and actually doing it, so be safe and well prepared then go get to spinning yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

patrick076stranger
1 post

Posted:
select poi with comfortable weight and then workout with simple movements and practice

Patrick

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Start with cathedral heads. They produce a decent flame with decent burn time thats not too big or long to handle but just right. Have a spotter. Wear cotton, denim, or leather. Have all your safety bases covered. WATCH THE VIDEO malcolm sends with the poi. Its corny but it has TONS of info grin make sure you blot too! Also, read up on ur fuel to make sure u have the right kind. Also dont get carried away with safety to the point ur unsafe. Like the kid who wore wet clothes under dry clothes, caught himself on fire then steamed himself like a lobster frown

Your first time spinning with fire is something you'll remember forever. I remember mine. Hands shaking so bad I could barely light them. They finally got lit and all my fear went away. Then it was on. I started with a buzzsaw to my spotter's (which was my mother) horror! Hahahaha!! Its magickal so HAVE FUN!!!!!! grin

Feel free to PM me if you need.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine that the very first thing I'd do after lighting up would be spinning them near/towards my face. I do have a fair share of facial hair though...

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
I was possesed by a fire demon ubbangel

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I have mine on video. Mine was such a memorable moment and I had a couple badass moments where I just looked amazing. Like my whirling, then I got dizzy and the amazingness fell apart and turned silly. m My first buzzsaw was near the end. the entire time I was worrying the heck out about getting hit. My second burn I learned that getting hit does no harm and was like "Hey! nothing happened!" and I proceeded to whack myself a few times with lit fire poi in my amusement grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I *MAY* be both purchasing and using a set of fire poi for the first time tomorrow night! I almost feel I should be able to transition through my repertoire of moves better before I do but I think I'd do alright.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
It's ok, your first time spinning fire isn't about putting on a show or anything tongue2 Because it's nt gonne be glorious, well it probably will be for you grin Have fun and don't kill yourself wink

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I didn't get fire poi yet, should have some cathedral head poi in the next few days though (possibly even tonight :D).

Coleman Camp Fuel = White gas correct?

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes, but I would more suggest using kerosene until you're better at not hitting yourself because the excess fuel of white gas will stay on fire when it comes off frown

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Yeah, dont screw around with White Gas, its great! But add some kero to it or else there will be a WHOOSH and no more eyebrows..... Or face duck. My first burn was actually a performance. Well kind of, I had my first burn then did my performance. I guess it was my second burn but there were like 2 hours in between tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
The only thing I would really reccomend white gas for is putting about 1/5 white gas to 4/5 kerosene when it's cold to get it to light. Or if you need a quick light fro a performance. Or actually if you're inside and can't have any smoke for a performance, but that's not going to be for a long time if you even ever get into that.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I was with a bunch of spinners last night and couldn't stand the stank of the kero (the smoke was no bother), white gas sounds as if it's not worth the risk, and lamp oil is stupid expensive (I can get 4x the amount of white gas for the same price).

I could probably get used to the smell of kero... Is there a fuel redily available that is cheaper than lamp oil, cleaner than kero, and safer than white gas? If not I'll just go with kero until I can afford to buy lamp oil.

Getting my cathedral head poi next Monday so I've got a week to figure that all out.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
You can get lamp oil (ultra-pure and a decent amount too) for around $6 for a half gallon (which would last a really long time and is safe to store indoors), you just have to shop around hardware stores and online hardware overstock outlets as well.

I'm switching because K-1 is not good for apartment living or asthma, plus it burns at a lower temperature with a more stable flame and high flash point (in theory that should be much safer for summer conditions). Make sure the lamp oil is ultra-pure to minimize residue and have the lowest emissions.

Just a little suggestion from one beginning fire spinner (I only have a few burns under my belt) to another. smile

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Lamp oil has a different flash point depending on the brand and the place its sold in, be sure to get accurate LOCAL information about the kinds of fuels you intend to use.

hug

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Haven't checked any hardware stores yet, though ghetto-mart (K-mart) sells 1L bottles of Coleman ultra-pure lamp oil for nearly $10 (a gallon of white gas is just over $10), that's the only place around here I've seen either fuel.

Going to check the hardware store on Wednesday.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, I've actually, pretty quickly gotten to love the smell of kerosene. It makes me think of fun grin Maybe it'll do the same for you. I'd say go a while with K-1 and see if the smell still bothers you, if it soes, you should probably switch to something. About white gas. I've had experience, if it get on you (my face) it stays on fire and is very very hot frown I don't want you or anyone else to experience such a horror. There has never been anything as scary in my life as the moment that I saw fire out of the bottom corner of my eye and I am so lucky the fuel in my mouth didn't light and I didn't breathe in lit fuel as I would probably be dead.

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've gotten over it really fast as well. It doesn't bother me, the first time I burnt was interesting, using double staffs and being surrounded by kero fumes was.... Not very nice, but heck, I love the smell now.

However, the rest of my family hates it. xD

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hah, my mom like it, but hates it in the house. Actually the first few times I burned I didn't even notice the fumes.

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
My mom hates it. tongue2

That being said, she hates all fire related things. grin

Actually, I don't think that she realized what I was actually doing the first couple of times when I told her what I was doing... I think she thought I was kidding. wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow really? My german exchange student that introduced me to this stuff said he went an entire year with his parents not knowing about any of it laugh3 And he showed them some pictures and they thought it was cool. But I guess they don't like hom doing it, probably mainly the fire breathing, can't say I blame them. He even uses charcoal lighter fluid. If I ever breathe fire again at least I know kerosene/lamp oil wont light on my skin.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
There was a bloke on youtube doing firebreathing with what he said was ultrafine cornstarch: I didn't follow it up, but if it works it'd probably be a fair bit safer than any of the petrochemical liquids...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Will probably be discussed somewhere in here.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
kerosine the new afrodesiac (phonetics censored tryin to spell that word) of the year

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee