Forums > Help! > Mura wick flame size?

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Okay I have the 65mm Mura fire heads and I think the flame was bigger than it was supposed to be (upon ignition far bigger than I have seen from cathedral in videos) with massive amounts of fume and smoke. I put them out, let them cool, gave them a small splash after using a damp towel to put them out and blotted them much more before relighting to a reasonable size flame. So here are my questions...

I was using Kleen-Strip K-1 kerosene from the Home Depot so did that have anything to do with it?

How much blotting or squeezing should be done and is too little fuel on my wicks a bad thing?

Would switching to lamp oil be more beneficial for a smaller, steadier flame or another type of K-1?

Is it because they were never used before and how many burns does it take to bak in a wick and have it respond consistently?

and finally, would tube core (or any other type of wick) give me a more manageable flame especially on ignition?

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

ryan crownoverstranger
7 posts

Posted:
they are big heads and new also once you light up the flames are going to be bigger and die down a little did you spin them out and it can be bad to put to little of fuel on them some people say to soak them for a while before the first burn and i use colemens camp fuel when ever i can other wise cheap gas station kero which is alot more smoky and a little harder to light and i spin my flames out or throw one at a time in my shirt and kill the

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you are doing all the right thing the second time round with the blotting. Those are quite big wicks so it might just be that they are bigger than the ones you have seen in videos so they also have bigger flames.

Too little fuel can be a problem but only if you didn't soak them long enough be for blotting, i don't think it would be easy to remove enough fuel blotting to cause any damage.

Regarding fuel i would recommend lamp oil over kerosene it has less smoke and a nicer smell. I would not recommend using whitegas especially if you have not had a heap of experience with fire because it can be quite unsafe compared to kerosene or lamp oil

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
She has the really small Mura wicks wtw, I was going to get the 4 inch one, but I decided cathedrals instead because I was told those have a bigger flame, is that true or would the 4 inch
(biggest) Mura roll give me a bigger flame.
EoN: First burn is always biggest, except for me, because I didn't wait long enought to start spinning and the flame didn't get it's biggest. And I think the reason the flame looks bigger is because video just usually doesn't pick up as long of a trail as your eyes do. I found that looking in my videos the flame looks much smaller than in real life, or your mind might be just really afraid of fire and you just think it's really big until you get used to it (theory of mine, I'm not a phsycologist). And tube core wicks are the same as Mura except the Mura has a bunch of excess wick after the screws and it's rolled over and sewn to cover the metal. So that answers you question about tube core, I wouldn't ever buy them because of the exposed metal, only if the metal is covered up would I buy it, which is where Mura rolls come in grin
Edit: As for your fuel, I just use gas station kerosene (K-1) and it works fine, a little smelly and smokey, but fine. Lamp oil is just a more expensive way of buying kero, except it has a little additives to make it less smokey and smelly, which I do not worry at all about for poi.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1263125575)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit
Edit: As for your fuel, I just use gas station kerosene (K-1) and it works fine, a little smelly and smokey, but fine. Lamp oil is just a more expensive way of buying kero, except it has a little additives to make it less smokey and smelly, which I do not worry at all about for poi.

i actually like the smoke that keosene gives off. For me it just gives me a fuller effect that "woah this is fire!"

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ryan crownover i can other wise cheap gas station kero which is alot more smoky and a little harder to light

i just looked on the internet and found out that kerosene is esentially diesel?

which poses the question... can you use diesel for fire poi and have the same consistancy as kerosene?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I agree with the smell of Kerosene, with my previous experience with fire, I grew to love the smell of gas, white gas, and other such things because it reminds me of fire, but with that experience I also get really shocked when I smell burning hair.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ElectricBlueToo little fuel can be a problem but only if you didn't soak them long enough be for blotting, i don't think it would be easy to remove enough fuel blotting to cause any damage.

That is very good to know, the initial light up the flame was seriously out of control while I was waiting for it to encompass the whole wick to start spinning. The fumes were horrible (not the smoke, the actual fumes) so I but them out right away and did some hardcore blotting making round 2 much more comfortable! I'm glad I can't easily blot out too much fuel, it would be quite a feat huh?

Quote:Regarding fuel i would recommend lamp oil over kerosene it has less smoke and a nicer smell. I would not recommend using whitegas especially if you have not had a heap of experience with fire because it can be quite unsafe compared to kerosene or lamp oil

I'm steering clear of white gas for certain. I think lamp oil (as soon as I can find some) will be what I go for after I use up the rest of this kerosene. I think that it's made for indoor heaters might have something to do with the fumes and the fact that it was a new wick.

So the biggest flame will come from the initial first burn off of it regardless of wick type? Also will it ignite easier with more burns?

SoD: The 4in Muras should be a bigger flame than cathedrals looking at what is on the end of my staff. Another cold tip for you that I'm going to use and I'll let you know how it went, I just ordered https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Scented-Soy-Candle-Tin-100-Natural-Soy-Wax
to carry around and light off of. Save your lighter fluid!!!yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit I found that looking in my videos the flame looks much smaller than in real life, or your mind might be just really afraid of fire and you just think it's really big until you get used to it (theory of mine, I'm not a phsycologist). And tube core wicks are the same as Mura except the Mura has a bunch of excess wick after the screws and it's rolled over and sewn to cover the metal. So that answers you question about tube core, I wouldn't ever buy them because of the exposed metal, only if the metal is covered up would I buy it, which is where Mura rolls come in grin

Yeah this flame was going to burn my hand while idling and the whole wick had not yet been consumed. I'm pretty sure there was too much fuel because the video you saw was after I did a ton of blotting (but I'm going to switch to squeezing for easier clean up and less dirty towels). I think the tubecore gets less of a flame because of less excess wick, but exposed metal isn't worth it to me. I'm just going to squeeze til my heart is content now that I know it would be hard to get so much out it would be damaging to the wick.

Another question! How do you contain the stink of your used wicks, I have the practice covers from here and ruined them with no liner?

When my replacements come in the mail I'm wrapping the wicks in heavy duty aluminum foil before placing them in (which I will carry for post burn clean up as well) any other tips?

~Rock on!~

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: forrestfire
which poses the question... can you use diesel for fire poi and have the same consistancy as kerosene?
NO no no noooooo definitely not.
IT has lead additives! You don't want to be breathing in lead fumes as you are spinning!

2,280 posts

Posted:
As for the wick smell, I put it in my empty dipping tin. I store them there too. And an agreed NO NO NOOOOOOO on the diesel.
And about the flame consuming your hand, when you start the flame, you HAVE to keep them moving a little or the flame crawls up the chain, just do a tiny pendulum back and forth until them flame gets to its full size.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit
And about the flame consuming your hand, when you start the flame, you HAVE to keep them moving a little or the flame crawls up the chain, just do a tiny pendulum back and forth until them flame gets to its full size.

I was moving them like a pendulum and it did that before going to full size, it was far too out of control. On the second go around after more blotting the technique worked just fine and I was able to get going. I'm certain I had far too much fuel and didn't blot well enough the first try.

I keep mine in an empty dip can too, but I have to practice and don't want to stink up my apartment and mess anything up. What do you do for unlit practice with your wicks to keep clean?
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1263175355)

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm, practice outside. Not really much else I think.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitUmm, practice outside. Not really much else I think.

So you have fuel covered clothes from your practice? You just swing around dirty, used wicks when they aren't lit? Please don't get ignorant with me, most people cover their unlit wicks during practice and I'm sure have different techniques to avoid being soot covered.

What's gotten into you lately?

~Rock on!~

ryan crownoverstranger
7 posts

Posted:
i dont mind the smell but i will carry them in my dip jar or in a plastic bag or 2 then wrap my fire shirt around them i have a fire shirt and bandana due to wraps and hair then throw them in my backpack when cooled with my fuel and im strait mobile have someone else light them for you , you should have someone there for safty and dont practice with your wicks its puts wear and tear on your rigs

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
For practice or rehersals i usually wash the chains + handles with orange cleaner after i use them if they are really grosse.Then wrap a couple of layers of cling wrap around the dirty wick, It stops the smell and black marks when you are practiceing and dosen't change the weight really.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ryan crownover have someone else light them for you , you should have someone there for safty and dont practice with your wicks its puts wear and tear on your rigs

Haha yeah my safety cannot operate a lighter but is good for putting me out and keeping me safe, I never light up without one, but I am required to light myself hence the travel candle idea. I can't rely on him to light me as sad as that sounds.

What gets wear and tear when you aren't hitting yourself and other things very often, I do cover them for protection? My chains look nearly indestructible (pro-series ones) so I'm curious as to what gets damaged so I can keep an eye on it.

~Rock on!~

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ElectricBlueThen wrap a couple of layers of cling wrap around the dirty wick, It stops the smell and black marks when you are practiceing and dosen't change the weight really.

Thanks for that idea, it may work better than foil or well in conjunction with it clap *needs a thumbs up emoticon*

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey, sorry about my latest comments, I've been in a very bad mood because I thought someone was avoiding me. But now I don't even think I can explain how happt I am bounce2 Just look at what I'm about to say and you'll know why.
She said yes!
I got her number.

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
lol ok then. so i got asked to give lessons to someone...

while she was performing.... aahhahahahahaha awesome.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Umm, ok? I'm a little confused on that lol. Can you explain a little more what happened? It sounds pretty funny to say the least laugh3

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
this thread is going waaay offtopic

if you're going to talk about your personal lives, try to keep it to your intros, MSN or social chat at least

anyway, back on topic - if there is very little wind, and/or you keep your wicks stationary, you'll notice the flame becomes much bigger. And if you spin very slowly, you'll get noticeable trails of fire.

If you're having problems with soot/parraffin spray when practising unlit, plastic bags tied round as tight as possible will go some way to fixing the problem. Some companies also sell wick covers - HoP and Hyperloop.co.uk both do them I believe

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, HoP sells them, but do you need to line your dirty wicks before you put them in? Or do you just stick the wicks in there. I didn't think about plastic shopping bags, I guess it completely passed me. I'll definately do that for practice. And I didn't know spinning slower gave you longer trails. At least I never noticed it. I'm definately gonna keep that in mind wink Also, my electronic media teacher stumbled upon me and some other people watching my new year's video. Someone wanted to know about it and it became a multiple person deal. But she thought it was awesome and said, "Do you know there's a group of people in Detroit that do that?" I said yes I looked them up about a week ago. And, "That's really cool, one time one of them stopped by my brother's party and did a show for us." I thought, that was pretty cool grin And looking back, the 4' Mura rolls probably would've been a better choice for me, since I guess they have a bigger flame, right? I'm still a little confused on which is bigger flames, 4'' Muras or cube Cathedral wicks? Oh well, my next set is gonna be Isis either way grin I have also experienced my first time, the flame crawling up, AHHH!! It was a little scary to say the least. Lol, I should start using the off topic flag grin

787 posts

Posted:
Line them before putting your wicks in because I had to throw mine out from the stench no washing could cure (they will get stinky in the process of putting them in)! I'm waiting for my new ones to come in the mail and also read for practice to wrap in aluminum foil then cover in socks. Now they are wrapped in foil and waiting for replacements, but what ever you do (especially after spinning with fire) don't stick them straight in or they're ruined. Refer to my earlier post....yes

Quote:Another question! How do you contain the stink of your used wicks, I have the practice covers from here and ruined them with no liner?
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1263334584)
EDIT_REASON: now entirely at optimal descriptiveness

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
I like aluminum foil idea the best so far smile It's by far the easiest.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
to keep the stink in:

get a tupperware container for your poi

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I just put them in my dipping can and it works fine for me smile not like I have to worry about that having a little soot in it wink