Forums > Social Chat > 1st Burn on my birthday tomorrow!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Well guys after 6 months of practice and preparation, I have decided to commemorate my 28th birthday tomorrow with my 1st burn. Fortunately the blizzard remnants have cleared out here in Delaware, the ground is dry and weather should be great for an afternoon burn. My fiance will be spotting me, the tripod will be filming, and all of my gear is ready (including safe cold weather attire).

Wish me luck and anyone who would like to share their experiences of having a first burn in the cold or any last minute advice please do share! weavesmiley

I'll upload and update with the finished results as soon as I can. Thanks so much everyone for their input that has aided my preparation for the big day! grouphug

peace

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol, you should embrace the bounce!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
I'm embracing but I'm also avoiding being trampled lol

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
*getting seasick* World going up and down....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
That's what she said

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey! I did another burn on new Years Eve, It's my fifth. Now I know how it feels after 20 minutes of trying to light. OMG my hands were frozen and I was in a censored t-shirt! I'm just thankful I had the fingerless gloves soaked in hot water. I'm noticing it's not taking too long to get used to the fire. So here it is, I forgot the music and that made it not as fun, and it took 20 minutes to light (thank you spare lighter fluid grin ) I'm going to have to start mixing lighter fluid in with my kerosene ubbidea

Woohoo! I figured out how to embed! Also my shirt happens to say "Detroit, Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten." laugh3

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
all this talk about cold is giving me a chill.

I cant light my poi where I am cause its too hot, 40C=total fire ban frown

Nice vid

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, total fire ban. I can't imagine that, is it because everything is dry and will easily just go up in flames? That's the only thing I can thank of. And if your talking about my 5th Burn/New Years vid, "Why thank you!" hug2

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWow, total fire ban. I can't imagine that, is it because everything is dry and will easily just go up in flames?

yep. Aus is in its like 15th year of drought and we get really dry winds, fire is pretty common - in fact most aussie plants require fire to germinate (there's one for the useless fact book). there has been 3 fires in the hills by my parents place in the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit And if your talking about my 5th Burn/New Years vid, "Why thank you!" hug2

yeah I liked your butterfly/flower combo and your low to high reels. I could only watch the first half tho, my mum has dial up - I didnt even think that existed anymore.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
laugh3 I struggle to comprehend someone not being able to imagine total fire bans lol!

Aaaah, to live in a non-bushfire-prone country tongue2

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
what if you are on a large area of dirt? still cant light up and spin?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge Dragonlaugh3 I struggle to comprehend someone not being able to imagine total fire bans lol!

This is why more people should come to the Puget Sound region. Coniferous rainforest, low fire risks, lots of burners, and if you're from Australia or New Zealand, we love your accent.

Looks like I'm at it again...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandAppleOriginally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWow, total fire ban. I can't imagine that, is it because everything is dry and will easily just go up in flames?

yep. Aus is in its like 15th year of drought and we get really dry winds, fire is pretty common - in fact most aussie plants require fire to germinate (there's one for the useless fact book). there has been 3 fires in the hills by my parents place in the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit And if your talking about my 5th Burn/New Years vid, "Why thank you!" hug2

yeah I liked your butterfly/flower combo and your low to high reels. I could only watch the first half tho, my mum has dial up - I didnt even think that existed anymore.
Wow, that's hard for me to imagine all those fires. Yeah, I figured out a little after that, to make that butterfly/flower/extended reel thing symmetrical, I have to move in split time. And yes, I did come up with that on my own, I am quite proud of it myself grin I like it. And look out world I just cracked the inspin flower piroutte! At least that's what I think you meant by butterfly/flower combo. If it isn't than tell me what is because that's probably the only real new looking thing I did in there (I think)

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
That's a great vid SoD, I've been mad busy so I haven't been on here. I totally plan on the next warm enough day burning the remaining fuel from my wicks and will continue burn practice as soon as I can wear a T-shirt comfortably (in the mid 50s F. range and higher).

Sorry you had to go through the 20 minutes to light predicament because your hands will hate you!!! I was so flustered from it, not fun for a first timer. I'm going to continue with my indoor practice to stay fresh until then though and I wrapped my wicks in foil then put the fluffy covers on. I'm also practicing getting in and out of the double loop handles quickly and I'm considering getting some single loops to try (perhaps they are easier to get in, out of, and secure them when deal with flames *shrugs*)

In any case mad props for going out in a T-shirt, but don't catch pneumonia or anything! I'm gonna wait for some better conditions because we've been in a deep freeze for over a week now in the mid-atlantic region! Burrrrrr-chilly!!!!!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge Dragonlaugh3 I struggle to comprehend someone not being able to imagine total fire bans lol!

Not bushfire prone, but a bunch of *censored* keep lighting fires in the Western Cape which can get pretty bad at times. Mostly not an issue though.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pojewhat if you are on a large area of dirt? still cant light up and spin?

nope cause that would defeat the purpose of it being called a Total fire ban yes

seriously though, fires are a huge issue over here, spot fires can land like up to 8Km away from its source, once a fire gets out of contol then the dry nature of our country turns them truly epic. fire bans are not something that is wise to mess around with, or try to get around.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceThat's a great vid SoD, I've been mad busy so I haven't been on here. I totally plan on the next warm enough day burning the remaining fuel from my wicks and will continue burn practice as soon as I can wear a T-shirt comfortably (in the mid 50s F. range and higher).

Sorry you had to go through the 20 minutes to light predicament because your hands will hate you!!! I was so flustered from it, not fun for a first timer. I'm going to continue with my indoor practice to stay fresh until then though and I wrapped my wicks in foil then put the fluffy covers on. I'm also practicing getting in and out of the double loop handles quickly and I'm considering getting some single loops to try (perhaps they are easier to get in, out of, and secure them when deal with flames *shrugs*)

In any case mad props for going out in a T-shirt, but don't catch pneumonia or anything! I'm gonna wait for some better conditions because we've been in a deep freeze for over a week now in the mid-atlantic region! Burrrrrr-chilly!!!!!
Thank you hug That was pretty brutal with only fingerless gloves, the tshirt thing doesn't bother me at night for some reason, or if I'm moving. But man did that fire feel good on my hands, especially for the buzzsaw (mmmmm that was warm ^^)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister Eleven
and if you're from Australia or New Zealand, we love your accent.

Gah, I can't stand Aussie accents! Not really a fan or Kiwi ones either (unless I'm laughing wink )

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Rouge DragonOriginally Posted By: Sister Eleven
and if you're from Australia or New Zealand, we love your accent.

Gah, I can't stand Aussie accents! Not really a fan or Kiwi ones either (unless I'm laughing wink )

In the wrong place then, yes?

Page: