DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I will be visiting China for two weeks next month. I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of culture they have regarding twirling things in public, especial fire. I'm sure there could be some restrictive laws, maybe. But I'm not realy sure. My first impresion would be that fire twirling would be looked down on by the authorities. The official Tia Chi form has been limited by the government to only a few basic moves (about 20). I asked my friend who lives there, but she hasn't ever seen it so she doesn't know if it would be ok.

But, there is also the Beijing Opera to consider and Jet Li and stuff, so it can't be too limited to do such things, right? I just don't want to run into any conflict with any laws or authorities. Anybody have any personal experience or advice?

I'm no to worried about just twirling a little bit of string and glowsticks, but fire might be a whole nother story

I would love to bring my tennis ball poi with me, maybe hang out with some kung fu spinners and swap moves. Any sugestions?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
it's not really as bad of a place as most people think. I don't know about tai chi, but I do know there are tons of people who practice other martial arts freely there. Also at the international halifax busker festival there was a old chinese busker with a little hand cart absolutly jammed with props. he had everything you could imagine and all kinds of strange things im not sure how he used in performance. It's a shame I only saw him perform a few of his skills. He travled here from china for the festival, so I assume he performs back in china. He did have fire props.

Really all of this post is useless though because I can't give you a definitive yes or no because I don't know. but I would be suprised if they had a problem with it aslong as you picked a good location to spin fire art.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well, thatnks for trying though! Yep, I'm leaving on the 12th and coming back on the 27th... I'm sure it's gona be cool! I'm not to worried about twirling now, I guess I'll just have to ask around after I get there and pick a GOOD location.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
My parents got a wicked video of fire meteors at the foot of the great wall so keep your eyes opened and if possible bring a video camera alongto share the inspiration with us
I also know that a couple of HoPers were travelling ther for months so i hope they see this and can give you more infos

enjoy yourself and come back with great stories

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Im sorry to say Dantana but i can't give you an answer as well (yes or no), but, i think it should be no problem, but what do i know, i haven't even left Australia Like Malcolm said glowsticks are made in China so there should be no problem there

Also i agree with Cass *TAKE A VIDEO CAMERA* cause you never know what you might get and then you can share with us HoPers

Oh by the way have some fun there as well

Mozy

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmm, video camera. I will need to find a power adapter somewhere, as I am sure their power supply is different.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Dantana: https://kropla.com/electric.htm

https://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Lots of info on what kind of power and plugs they have in china, and what kind of adaptors you will need.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
thanx 4 the help, 'm leaving Saturday morning... 4 AM....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wow! i'm soooooo envious...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Dan,
hey happy holidaying! Me2 SOooooo am in love with chinese martial arts .
the 38 forms of 'modern' taichichuan (grand celestial fist) was not a goverment restriction in that sense - just a simplification to suit an era. ie it is the 'compulsory competition' pattern.
every form of wushu (taichichuan included) has been refined to suit it's time - and the contemporary era has emphasised competition forms.
There is a rich history on what earlier eras have focused on - wing chun for example emphasised learning faster (the rebels wanted to teach an army wing chun fist in 7 years cuz Shaolin Lohan fist took usually 20 years to learn back then) because earlier dynasties in Chinese history was more violent than the episode of south park where Timmy fought Jimmy in the car lot.

In the modern era, what Tai Chi suffers from is the misconception that it is simply a physical pursuit, where in truth it is a commitment to a lifestyle of harvesting life energy. You local gym will likely only that aspect of it. It is a spiritual belief, a way of breathing, a set of values, an entire way of thinking and leading your life. There's more sqauts and panting than No Shadow kicks and double Jien(swords)!
The same can be said of Shaolin kung fu (Cha'an Buddhism, which later was famously adopted by the Japanese as 'Zen' Buddhism) and Yoga (whose most publicised manifestation is but one of eight different arms of yoga)

Hence, the Authorities will not lock you up if you don't follow exactly competition forms if you learn tai chi there. I can't gaurantee that if you are performing in a competition arena there though!
But seriously, tai chi means 'grand celestial' which refers to the harvesting of energies, rather than simply kung fu moves. It's just that the hermetic chinese government do not allow too much press diversity - what does come out has to compete with marketing or propaganda.

The Beijing Opera sure is lovely to look at, as is Jet Li movies - but surely one realises that they are not relevant to a nations' attitudes toward firetwirling. As a nation desperately seeking speedy developed nationhood status, China is still bound by same National, state and Local Shire rule stuctures, and it is there that you should seek your answers instead.
Ever since I have started, I have often been labeled as a Chinese martial artist - which is harmless enough on the surface, but the real problem for me personally is that the assumption was made based purely on appearance, which would be hurtful if i wasn't.
Like anyone else, People of Chinese descent face a bagful of prconceptions in that badly scripted movie that we call life.

what? yoga? oh my...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Here is a cut and paste of part of a e-mail she wrote me.

In Changsha,there is a river called"xiangjiang"and
here is a is land near it .named "lover is land" It's
a sandy place,I think It's very suitable for you to
play fire,We can bring some food there,feeling the
cool wind and watching your playing,and this will not
break the law.
There are many olds do morning exercises in the
park where my parents always go, some dancoing,some
playing sword and some practising tai chi,when you are
in China we can go to the park to feel it.

I think that explains it all....

Thanls for the info bender...

I will see y'all latter...