Forums > Social Chat > Do your house pets obsess over your poi?

Login/Join to Participate

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Have any of you had any experiences similar to this?

My roommate has a cat and three Schnauzers. Whenever I'm spinning with my practice poi (chain poi with big plastic balls that freakin' hurt) the cat will sit mesmerized by what I'm doing. Since it's so cold and windy here I've been confined indoors most times to practice. She will sit their watching me intently the whole time, when I've spun outside she'll stop whatever she's doing and come watch, a few times she'd get really excited and run large circles around me, or skulk around and under things to watch from secret. She loves to watch and when I'm done she'll come over and bat the poi with her paws. Fortunately she's bright enough not to try and attack the poi while I'm playing!

The Schnauzers on the other hand, only one of them recognizes the poi as dangerous (accidentally took a good broadside couple weeks back, wasn't injured but was stunned) while the other two will walk right into the paths of the poi's planes and have barely avoided some hard hits when I didn't see they were coming up behind me.. I'll be spinning and one of them will come right up to me regardless of what moves I'm practicing and sit their at my feet begging for headrubs. One of them is really old and I'd feel awful bashing the old guy with the poi!

So do other people out there have similar stories of their pets and poi and how they get along? Do your pets think poi is as cool as your friends do or do they hate the big hurty flying things?

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

ryan_crownoverBRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
my cat loves watching me spin with my practice light or he will sit at the window and watch me spin fire me and my buddy kindof got a pet box turtle in a way by his house by spinning glow poi and its like a moth to a light the turtle start walking up to his house randomly after that and he started feeding it

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
My dog Daisy is a giant mastiff and she is completely oblivious to even my glow poi when i am practicing. She'll just be walking by and just walk right by without even glancing at them and I have to stall and stop what I'm doing to let her by or give her hugz. My cat, not sure, but when I had an aunt and uncle living here for a while, their cats were just completely mesmerized by any poi I used and would just sit there moving their heads to look at the spinning balls. It was funny because they're heads would be flailing everywhere XD

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
mm, can't comment on cats, but my dogs really can't grasp the "spinny balls can hit you" concept and tend to stand behind me just out of my line of sight waiting for me to pay them attention frown

So therefore I have to give them attention 'cause otherwise they'd hold my bed hostage later

Just a dancer in the dark

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I see a trend forming, what is it with dogs not understanding that "spinny balls can hit you?"

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
At one party I went to I met a dog that thought it would be great fun to try and catch fire poi.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

2,280 posts

Posted:
That might just be the best thing I have ever heard...

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded Fleshlol I love the 'similar threads' listed hahaha

"Why are asians obsessed with poo humor?"

Priceless lol

Yeah I noticed that also, WTF?! Haha I came to the right forums after all! tongue2

That's really cool about the turtle following the poi. Damn dogs, you gotta love an animal whose entire life principle is if you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough!
Maybe from all this we can gather that poi is an art form that transcends not only nationalities but species? tongue2 Ooooh Shiny!! Lol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
slightly different, but my gfs dog just goes crazy trying to catch my bullwhip when im playing with it, and he has been hit a few times, but it doesnt stop him. silly dogs. i think its because its made of kangaroo hide, probably pretty tastey.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
A bullwhip? That sounds like it has just as much potential for damage as flying balls of kevlar! Ouch!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yep, he's whimpered for a few seconds, then gets back to chasing it. crazy dog, he's not the cleverest.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley