Forums > Technical Discussion > Glow-Fire: Ande`s Poi Concept

Login/Join to Participate

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
This is My concept for balanced 'handles' [pedellum] poi(based on flowtoys handles and Henrys glowstick poi).

>>> Ande's Poi Concept <<<

When using Orange 'Ultras' (a type of glowstick that is SUPER bright) the effects should be similar to holding fire in your hands while spinning. The holder for the glowstick is steel (with plexiglass tubing).

hopefully the weight of the glowstick and holder will be almost exact to the weight of a fueled-up fire snake.

just slip the wrap over your wrist for safety and spin away.

Also, you could very possibly do string manipulations very similar to glowstringing because of the shape of the snakes.

*Note: this is just a concept, has not been made yet. Feel free to make them, or improve on the idea. Tell me what you think.

Areas of concern:
Asthetics, safety, versatility, uniqueness, practicality.

-Ande

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure how plexiglass reacts to fire. But the plastic glowsticks might melt. Not sure about the rest of it though.

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
I cant think of a situation (other than a bad tangle) where the handles of my poi have ever had more than a split-second of contact time with the wicking of my poi. I dont think heat will be an issue here...

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AndeI cant think of a situation

that's why they're called accidents. basically, you don't want to put anything on a fire rig that you wouldn't want coming into contact with fire. especially plastics and artificial fibers as they can melt to your skin.

you should look up specs on the specific plexiglass you're using. it might not be plexiglass at all, it could be polycarbonate. look for the melting point and the kindling point. a poi burning white gas can reach temperatures a little over 1000°F.

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
Yes, point well taken. Apparently there is some more research to be done.

So, like I said I haven't made these or anything. I just thought up the idea today at work and made the image in Paint.

Was hoping maybe somebody would be interested in pursuing the idea...

so just make sure critiques are positive!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Its a nice idea. I wanted to do something similar with tiny glowballs so I could see the handles during throws, but gave up as I couldn't figure a safe way of doing it.

Let us know if you figure it out though!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
(as previously mentioned in the fire hoop thread)
These may be of interest for inspiration..
But it is different with hoops, the spines the wicks are on are fairly rigid, so unlikely to come into contact with the plastic unless you manage a majorly impressive drop- in which case, it's not going to be in contact with you..

Personally, the vids I've seen of them, I don't think they work all that well- the fire makes the LEDs look dull, and the LEDs can distract from the fire..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I would also not attach it to my wrists. But the idea may work.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
if they're equal weight when fueled the head will be lighter for the whole burn. That's not good.
Otherwise cool.

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
that makes TOO much sense.. why didn't I realize that?!!

Thanks Lye!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Meh....

It's been my experience that glow is vastly inferior to fire and these handles may have some effect before lighting up and when the burn is finished. While the ropes are burning though, the handles are going to be pretty much invisible even if the glowsticks are "SUPER bright"

They're LEDs, which means they give off very little ambient light. Maybe try exploring this idea with incandescent bulbs and batteries. Sacrifice a few flashlights and make yourself a pair of light up fingerless gloves with all the hardware attached to the back of the glove. Heck, you could even strap the gear to the back of your hand.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoutThey're LEDs, which means they give off very little ambient light. Maybe try exploring this idea with incandescent bulbs and batteries. Sacrifice a few flashlights and make yourself a pair of light up fingerless gloves with all the hardware attached to the back of the glove. Heck, you could even strap the gear to the back of your hand.

But... how will I do any spiral wraps?

Otherwise, could be interesting.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

sean_flowtoysBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
I have used flowlights as handles on my fire poi and love them. very strong, comfortable grip, nice effect of bringing some attention to your hands and a decent counter balance for tosses, though you may want to add crystal cases with mass for almost 100g total weight if you love tossing.
also not too hard to do spiral wraps, just tuck the handles back towards your wrists with your thumbs, takes a little getting used to but also works for infinity wraps grin

find your flow...

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: sean_flowtoysI have used flowlights as handles on my fire poi and love them. very strong, comfortable grip, nice effect of bringing some attention to your hands and a decent counter balance for tosses, though you may want to add crystal cases with mass for almost 100g total weight if you love tossing.
also not too hard to do spiral wraps, just tuck the handles back towards your wrists with your thumbs, takes a little getting used to but also works for infinity wraps grin

I like this idea, can flowtoys handle the heat if there were an accident?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

KittehRaverSILVER Member
=^,-,^=
35 posts

Posted:
One problem that you might run into is that Ultras only are super bright for up to 30 minutes. I don't know anyone who spins for much longer than 10 at a time, but it will eat a hole in your wallet.

I'm the resident Vampyre Kitteh!
NYAH!