Forums > Social Discussion > Poi=Girly/Fire Poi=Mega Manly Man Manness *Edited

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
OK, so what I have noticed and I find it quite funny. When people see a man doing poi with cloth many people will take it as girly. When they see you do it with light, some people will think you still more of a censored, not as often as cloth though. But, OH MAN!~ When you pick up the fire and start swinging it, now you are the most manliest man to ever man this manly man planet, you are the manly god of men Mr. Super Manly Man Man. Has any other guys here noticed this? In your experience, what do people think of LED's when they know you also do it with fire? And also, this question is for the women out there, what kind of reactions do you get with these different things? And for other guys, what kind of different reactions do people on average have on different staffs (plain, LED, Fire)
*I think it's appropriate now just tell me if it's not.

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262190315)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
um...haven't really noticed that at all! umm

also - this should probably be in the social chat section, not social discussion... smile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, I can't really move it, sorry. Maybe it's because There is no one that spins fire here, and where other people here live, it thrives with spinners and people recognize what it is.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
whilst playing fire always is the most masculine matter a man can pussibly master, it boils down to ... staff. And from there to contact staff... it's the slowlyness in which you control your tool (w/o fire) that gives an anticipation of... let your imagination run wild now... and the opportunity of some goddess asking: "could I play with your staff for a while?" which will send shudders of anticipation down your spine...

(fire) poi basically represents more the female side, so when you play with them it creates the image of you being in touch with it... when lit on fire it again turns into something sensual...

or something like that wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, I should do staff just so someone could come up to me and say that laugh3
Edit: Omg how could I forget what is viewed as the most manly act of all, Firebreathing O_O OMG people's reaction to that is ridiculous in my experiences.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262145874)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Huh, I've never had that association at all. Almost all the fire performances I'd seen before taking it up myself were by women, so I'd just sort of pegged both forms of poi as "something done mostly by women". In fact I think it wasn't until my first spin jam that I'd seen a man spinning poi at all.

Incidentally, while I'm not presently angry, I'd appreciate it if you would lay off your use of the word "pussy" in this kind of context. I find it a bit offensive for a number of reasons.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitEdit: Omg how could I forget what is viewed as the most manly act of all, Firebreathing O_O OMG people's reaction to that is ridiculous in my experiences.

Can't side that. People's reactions are directly proportionate to the (self) destructive madness that drives these individuals to completely disregard their own health, the audiences safety and the environmental impact.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
people love my sock poi led poi and fire poi. when they see me do that they just gaze and think i can do that. till i let them see my sock poi. once hit in the head (my sock poi has golf balls in it XD) and they bow down,

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: This Jaded FleshI put you on ignore and I still can't help myself reading your posts because some amazing offal is shat upon my screen from you.

That's awesome.
grin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
While spinning poi, I got called a cheerleader once.

IMO, over the years more and more of the general public has developed a passing acquaintance with these arts to the point of associating them with fire.

I practice in a very public area in the summers, and I'm well aware that people are watching me either from a distance or on a stairway up above me where I can't see them. I can hear them though and over the years I've heard more people talking amongst themselves and correctly identifying what I'm doing.

One "trick" I've found works is spinning an old set of clapped out wicks as"practice" poi. That way when someone asks "What are those?" ( more common IME than "what are you doing" ) all you need say is "they're wicks, soak 'em in gas and light 'em on fire".

Rather than trying to explain about poi.

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit ...now you are the most manliest man to ever man this manly man planet, you are the manly god of men Mr. Super Manly Man Man...

No my friend, you are not manly until you are this guy...

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I swear I must live in a different world O_O Sorry if I offended anyone with my language, I guess I'm kind of used to it here. I'll change it for you and sorry about the repost. I didn't think about my language in here as it is more common talk here. I'm starting to think even my suburb may not be the most well mannered place by here as I thought it was umm As we've been told we are in the most well off suburb of Detroit with a current I think about 10% unemployment rate. As for what I post, I think I'm going to have to look more in the search before I post, sorry. Also, I think people's reactions here are because no one knows what it is, therefore no one associates it with fire. I like your idea of using burned out wicks as practice grin I'm going to have to do that in the summer. I just hope maybe I get more people here to do it. and the golf ball thing is hilarious laugh3 As for everyone here, I envy you and the fact that people realize you do it with fire and don't call you a censored Also, I think I may have to use censored a bit more often out of courtesy, and again sorry for any offense taken as I normally don't do that.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262192277)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hug

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:

I understand the Maly Vs. girly thing. I dont neccesarily agree with it, but it does happen.. and not just in detroit.

I like how poi feels.. I dont care as much about how it looks.. so for me, fire poi, sock poi, cone poi.. its all the same, just as long as noone takes away my God given right to spin!! lol

The main thing I have seen about subconscious discrimination between male and female poi artists are this:

To a person unfamiliar with poi... If a guy, who is pretty decent at poi, spins fire.. it is pretty darn cool.

If a girl, who only knows the 3bw, spins fire... Its is the sexiest most hot and extremely EVER!!

obviously this is not an always thing.. but seriously.. take a young man and a young woman.. both of equal skill level in poi.. drop them in the middle of a populated area, and asked passer-byers to annonomysly vote for one of them, male or female...

What do you think will happen? crazy

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I don't see anything girly about a shirtless man spinning poi at a festival either socks or on fire. I think the use of fire shows strength and confidence regardless of gender.

What I have noticed is that more guys spin staff and more girls spin poi from my observations and their styles of dancing and technique differ some. Either way, coordination and rhythm are attractive qualities in both sexes as is strength and confidence...yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Thank god someone understands and thank you for the hug ^^
Ande: I think you may be holding that lightbulb in your hand on your avatar XD That sounds about right, as for the passerby's I have never seen a woman spin, but I've seen woman's reaction to a man spinning and it sounds like your man's reaction to a woman a lot of the time, and I think the votes may depend on what gender is voting laugh3 Also, I've seen how to make a flaming ball, but how did you get the flame as big as in your picture??? Because right there is a good size flame and I'd want it after seeing that instead of the wimpy one I've seen crazy

Edit:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI don't see anything girly about a shirtless man spinning poi at a festival either socks or on fire. I think the use of fire shows strength and confidence regardless of gender.

What I have noticed is that more guys spin staff and more girls spin poi from my observations and their styles of dancing and technique differ some. Either way, coordination and rhythm are attractive qualities in both sexes as is strength and confidence...yes
I can see someone that does it having that view, but I'm talking more about what people who haven't seen it or don't do it react. Because we do it, we just associate it with fire and we appreciate more what other spinners of ll types do. Although I have noticed a manly association with staff all together. Probably because it looks more like a weapon than poi.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1262195825)

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
My take on the Manly/Girly issue - Meh.

First off, who cares what others think? Especially random people, or school acquaintances. Why let their opinion on your manliness change anything?

None of these arts are inherently manly or girly, it's your own style that defines that. And even then, who's to say what's manly and what's not? I've met a lot of spinners who choose the FasterLessControl style, just because they don't want to be perceived as girly. I've met a lot of people who think dance, theatre, and various other arts are "gay"/girly. Most of them are teenagers.

I think it's best to ignore these kind of people as they're simply not worth it. If you truly love what you do, no one's opinion really matters.

I'll stop ranting now.
Asaf smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I've noticed, it doesn't matter what you do with fire, as long as it's on fire laugh3 If you're a man, it's manly. If you're a woman, idk, never seen it, but other say it's sexy, so it must be wink As for my style, it depends on the music playing and if I'm using LED's or fire. When it's LED's it's usually techno music and fast spinning so I get the wheels of light. With fire, it could be either, just depends on the song that's playing. As for "asaf," no idea what that means laugh3 And you lucky man with your warm weather tongue2 I want to move to either Germany or somewhere in the US with warm weather when I get older. Also, I need to get out of this hellhole called Michigan! Sure it's cool because I grew up here, but I don't think I could stand to live here anymore. It's so hard to find a job mad

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitAs for "asaf," no idea what that means laugh3

That's his name wink

Cpt. Banana Hammock wave

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Asaf is my real name.

And yeah, most norms are impressed by fire and not by actual skills. But most norms don't know any better. Like Ande said, norms would usually be more impressed by women doing it, regardless of skill. I once saw 2 women on TV who were horrible at every fire prop they were doing, their act consists of doing a basic move on each prop, in leather bikinis, and, you guessed it - bending backwards and spinning really fast. I died inside a little bit when I heard them say "we've done about 10 gigs in the last holiday".

I should get boobs.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh, I've never seen a name like Asaf, sorry XD Well, there are lots of names that I haven't heard that sound weird tongue2 Like when I went to Germany there were girls with names like Maike and Iris and Sabine and other stuff that sounded weird to me at the time. And I so agree with what you said about the performers. It's sickening how much people work to be good in hope of being a performer, where a few strippers will pick something up, learn 2 things for a week and go out and get 5 shows a week being payed ridiculous amounts of money mad

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Yin and Yang. Yang is the masculine. Masculine energy is like, heat and action and aggressive. Fire is archyatypicaly (SP?) masculine.

In sacred geometry, strait lines (staff) are masculine and archs and circles are feminine (poi).

Staff also has an association with martial arts. I mean, there wasn't a ninja turtle with poi. (That would be badass, though...).

No matter what the observer associates the prop with, I think the performance is where the masculine or femenine aspect will come out.

The wispering of the wise never entertains the fools...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Dude! I would love to see a TMNT with poi! As for performances, I really want to learn the btb version of the silly walk and do a performance to Bad romance and then the part hits where she says "Walk, walk, fashion baby..." I want to start walking across the stage doing some variation of the silly walk laugh3

AndeSILVER Member
The Enthusiastic!
13 posts

Posted:
Its actually me holding a fire-wand i made.. I just edited out the wand to make it look like i am holding fire.

**EDIT**

check out my post on a new poi design i made and tell me what you think!!

(under "other toys" forum)
EDITED_BY: Ande (1262204358)

A=PoiRsQuaredSILVER Member
I thunk, their four I is.
28 posts

Posted:
I have experienced this first hand, so no it is not just in detroit. People who don't know what I'm doing have said such offensive phrases as previously mentioned along with other more offensive phrases, when describing me and my friends spinning sock poi/led, but the mention of fire usually stifles that. Usually though the led/sock poi is more attributed as "childish," or "related to ecstacy/raves." Also I have first hand seen a crowd of drunken men watch me spin, saying that's pretty cool, but when my friends hot sister did a 3 beat weave, they were all like "WHOOOA that is so awesome, look at those trails man, so cool." (they must not have seen the trails from antispins and hybrids I was doing wink ) But to them it is not about the spinning, so I agree with poiboi, who cares what others think. Also i don't think poi is intrinsically more feminine or masculine, although I have seen far more male poi spinners then female. PS did anyone see the girl doing a thread the needle on the burger king commercial for half a second?

Life is Good

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes I have! You beat me to it tongue2

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Most things in life improve substantially when an attractive woman is doing them. Sorry man, you just can't compete sometimes. The first time I ever saw spinners in person, they were mostly guys in the group, and the men had a lot more skill than the ladies it seemed. Sure an attractive woman, doing something ballsy like swinging around big fiery madness is fun to watch, but that's no reason the guys should only be spectators. To me, watching a spinner reminds me of the elf at the beginning of Hellboy 2 doing the sword exercises. The deadly appeal came from his utter control over his form and practice so that it became a display of grace and control over something that was potentially harmful. If people wanted to see you do something stereotypically macho, maybe you could swing sledge hammers around while yelling "Git 'er dun! Git 'er dun!"

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
hey SoD, from reading your posts I cant really work out if you spin because its something you love, or you spin because you think its cool and will help you pick up chicks.

You seem to spend alot of time agonising on how other people percieve you and your poi.

my favorite post from you was when you said that you didnt want anybody from your school to do fire art, cause you wanted it to be just your thing.

If you keep going along this path, people wont think your fire twirling is cool, they will think its pretencious.

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
^Ditto.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: WoodlandApple

you didnt want anybody from your school to do fire art, cause you wanted it to be just your thing.

Ummmm yea, IMO that's pretty common. Years ago I did a thread on Tribe about this, wondering why there were so many small groups pf spinners (locally) who clearly didn't get along with each other and this want to keep these arts "secret' was a common theme.

Quote:If you keep going along this path, people wont think your fire twirling is cool, they will think its pretencious.

Yea, there's always that aspect too. I don't Face book but a friend of mine who does was telling me about "I hate poi" groups on the site. Over on a travel forum I've been frequenting lately, I've noticed several disparaging remarks about fire spinners with the idea of spinners being pretentious, dirty hippies being the common theme.

One thing...It doesn't look like we have to 'worry' about these arts becoming mainstream.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Really? Here's some background info on me with poi. I saw it in Germany, loved it, tried it, really loved it. I have always been a person that was ignored by everyone, even friends would at times just not listen to me/interrupt me, things like that. I had a feeling that I couldn't talk to anyone because everyone looked down on me, or it was like I just wasn't there. Now all of the sudden, along with something really fun that I love to do, people are talking to me! People actually give a censored about what I say. People will actually come up to me, they include me in on conversations, I've met so many great people, not all of them are now my friends, but they're people I can talk too. And that means a lot to me. You have to really be in that position to see where I am coming from and how terrible it is. But, as for this thread, I am a curious person and it popped into my head, and I wanted to see what others experienced with this subject. As for what is above, that's personally a hard subjuect for me to talk about and I'd appreciate it if it wasn't brought up again after this.

Page: