• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12
This Jaded Flesh
SILVER Member since Oct 2009

This Jaded Flesh

One soul is as good as another...

Total posts: 323
Posted:Anyone seen it? I got abit emotional towards the end and 'Dancer in the Dark' has held it's title with No.1 film to cry to for a long while. It seriously made me consider how I look at nature and our place in it. Sorta makes me feel like I'm a caretaker and I have to say I'm not doing my job properly.

"I may lack virtue, but I'm penitent"

Delete Topic

Fire_Moose
SILVER Member since May 2007

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Total posts: 3597
Posted:i wanna do that tall blue chick...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:well my feelings were less suicidal or depressive, but rage (against the machine)... shrug

the movie is so close to (and yet so far away from) reality that (to me) its quite understandable...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Noddy

Noddy

Toe Poking Bad Boy

Total posts: 2865
Posted:http://failblog.org/
br>
one of the fails explains the plot laugh3

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:Originally Posted By: Noddyhttp://failblog.org/

one of the fails explains the plot laugh3

Noddy you are actually a LEGEND!!!!!!!!! i KNEW there was a reason i cringed at this movie... millions of dollars in production and all they've done is remake pochahontas!!! LO)LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

this is the best thing i've heard all day smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Noddy

Noddy

Toe Poking Bad Boy

Total posts: 2865
Posted:happy to help

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Posted:heard rumors it got forbidden in China..........

Delete

willworkforfoodjnr
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes

Total posts: 1046
Posted:But then they renamed a mountain in it's honour...

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Posted:might brake their back ...

Delete

Fire_Moose
SILVER Member since May 2007

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Total posts: 3597
Posted:i didnt know they have floating mountains in China

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

Seaspray

Seaspray

stranger by the day

Total posts: 924
Posted:They have a little one in the Forbidden City. Emperor's (or Chairman's) use only

Just a dancer in the dark

Delete

death hunter

death hunter

stranger

Total posts: 4
Posted:I went to the IMAX and saw it in 3d. It was the best movie I have seen in a long time and I cant believe it has raked in 553 million

Just because people who do the right thing because it is the right thing are hard to come by doesnt mean we dont exist

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Posted:just recently came across an article about "Avatar (the movie) and the American Genocide"... it very much reflects the emotions I had whilst and after seeing the movie.

read the entire article here

some excerpt:

Originally Posted By: George MonbiotThe real story of what happened to Native Americans is a story no one wants to hear, because of the challenge it presents to the way we choose to see ourselves.

Avatar, James Camerons blockbusting 3-D film, is both profoundly silly and profound. Its profound because, like most films about aliens, it is a metaphor for contact between different human cultures. But in this case the metaphor is conscious and precise: this is the story of European engagement with the native peoples of the Americas. Its profoundly silly because engineering a happy ending demands a plot so stupid and predictable that it rips the heart out of the film. The fate of the native Americans is much closer to the story told in another new film, The Road, in which a remnant population flees in terror as it is hunted to extinction.

(...)

When the Spanish arrived in the Americas, they described a world which could scarcely have been more different from their own. Europe was ravaged by war, oppression, slavery, fanaticism, disease and starvation. The populations they encountered were healthy, well-nourished and mostly (with exceptions like the Aztecs and Incas) peacable, democratic and egalitarian. Throughout the Americas the earliest explorers, including Columbus, remarked on the natives' extraordinary hospitality. The conquistadores marvelled at the amazing roads, canals, buildings and art they found, which in some cases outstripped anything they had seen at home. None of this stopped them from destroying everything and everyone they encountered.

I really do not believe in inherited guilt as such - but in the ability of people to respond to challenges imposed on them by history.

The American Genocide has not been committed by Americans but Europeans. Personally I feel saddened that many Americans today rather try looking the other way than facing the truth about the history of their nation.

Nobody can turn back the clock and undo these atrocities but meet the remnants of native cultures and their representatives with respect (rather than pity) and an open dialog.

Delete

Fugee
BRONZE Member since Feb 2010

Fugee

Cooler than bubblegum!

Total posts: 2501
Posted:I totally have to put in my 2 cents!

"seems to be an American movie" by FireTom and "DAMN YOU HOLLYWOOD" by Mr Majestik.

A Canadian director who made the movie in London using writers that weren't part of the American writers guild because they were on strike... Hmmmmm. There were some US actors in it though.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Delete

FireTom

Stargazer

Posted:*cough* thanks RC for pointing that out smile

- if you read the first line of my post, I did mention that I haven't seen it at the time I posted my comment. Neither did I research into its background.
- and I do use the term "an American movie" regardless of their origin... as for clichs that a movie serves.

This said: I'd call a movie that mainly consists of endless dialogs and is highly complicated as in "who-loves-whom-still-has-sex-with-someone-else-for-reasons-beyond-comprehension" a French movie...

Please - and this is why I put my comment under the article - understand one thing: though I'm ready to criticize the US and its culture quite often, I'm not judging individual USsians. I wouldn't consider myself anti-American at all. I just feel compelled to counter balance a culture that seems to hail itself at a superlative degree in complete disregard of the facts around it.

smile

But again: thanks for pointing out my ignorance regarding Avatar's production.

Delete

Fugee

Fugee

Cooler than bubblegum!

Posted:I was only playing the devils advocate and pointing out that it wasn't an 'American' movie. It wasn't necessarily admonishment. Or me trying to make an argument.

By all means criticize the US, it turns me on.

In fact, I think I love you FireTom. wink

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:ok so it wasnt made in hollywood, but i would maintain it was made to hollywood standard, especially in the way its:

Originally Posted By: gorge mobiot (fire toms post)profoundly silly because engineering a happy ending demands a plot so stupid and predictable that it rips the heart out of the film.

which is a standard hollywood (and bollywood) technique. as i think i said in an earlier post, i knew the navi were going to win and i just thought 'no. this is not right. look at reality.' a braver director may have put in a more considered ending to provoke contemplation of a very important topic, but instead ran with the traditional money making (another keystone of hollywood) happy ending.

i really really hope avatar doesnt win best picture at tomorrows Oscars, another competitor is 'the hurt locker' which imo is a far better written and acted film which deals with its audience as more than a source of revenue.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Fugee

Fugee

Cooler than bubblegum!

Posted:I maintain that Hollywood has no standard smile but I also maintain that it's not limited to Hollywood. It seems to be something found just as easily in Vancouver(maybe more so in Vancouver), London, Berlin, Melbourne, and on... It's debatable as to weather Hollywood set that standard or simply plays the biggest part.

To be entirely fair, I think labeling something as 'Hollywood' when the standard is in reality worldwide, seems harsh...and quite possibly anti-American. My goal was to inject a point of view I felt was overlooked.

All things aside I agree with you, Avatar was a poorly written film made for the masses. I think I will skip the Oscars because I know I will be let down in sharing hopes with you.

My personal opinion is that British filmmakers manage to distance themselves best from the "Hollywood standard" it's a shame that the gap is shortening more and more.

Next topic: 'Alice in Wonderland'

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:Have you guys head about the deleted Na'vi sex scene?

Hope they put it on the DVD

>_>

<_<

fapfapfapfapfap

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Page: 12